orion1224

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak 4Dr Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Has anyone tried just the Z strip between the rear row and the cap? I am curious if this made any difference with rear wind noise. Given all of the debate about water and freezing on this thread, the Z strip is the only mitigation I’m considering. Thanks.
FWIW- there is nothing in any drain channel except the channel on top of the windshield. I have not seen a drop of water in there after 3 rains and 3 carwashes.
Sponsored

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
I don't have mine yet to try but what amazes me is that your $75 in material would have cost Ford less than $5 and resolved the issue to begin with.

So many posts seem to be caused by Ford letting the bean counters dictate so much to reach a sticker price or a larger profit margin. Anyrate, thanks for gathering all the info together in one go by.
As a bean counter myself, let me point out at how happy Jim Farley seems after telling stockholders how much profit the company has made... Accountants don't usually have the power to reduce the parts count on a product.

MarkusBigBucks

Badlands
First Name
Markus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Superduty 7.3 PSD, 2017 Ford Escape.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m starting to think that there Is a direct correlation between one’s region and one’s wind noise experience. To wit, people in big western states with lots of prevailing wind & high speed interstate highways say “Loud”, while people in eastern sheltered woodlands with low-speed twisty local roads say “Sounds fine.“
Good point

Squatch Parade

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Sorry, maybe a better way to word the question is - what are the biggest bangs for the buck here?

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Sorry, maybe a better way to word the question is - what are the biggest bangs for the buck here?
Biggest bang for the buck was the front seal. Second was the seal between the front panels and rear cap (I have a 2 door). Side rubber seals made some difference, but I think that the side foam pipe insulation (my next mod) is likely to make a bigger difference.

Overall, went from not being able to listen to the entertainment system at hwy speeds at less than volume 20, down to being able to enjoy entertainment as low as volume 9-10. Quite a bit of improvement.

Sponsored
OP
OP
orion1224

orion1224

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I think the top side insulation (rubber pipe seal), the rear Z strip and rubber insulation
Biggest bang for the buck was the front seal. Second was the seal between the front panels and rear cap (I have a 2 door). Side rubber seals made some difference, but I think that the side foam pipe insulation (my next mod) is likely to make a bigger difference.

Overall, went from not being able to listen to the entertainment system at hwy speeds at less than volume 20, down to being able to enjoy entertainment as low as volume 9-10. Quite a bit of improvement.
Completely agree... I'm in a 4 dr as mentioned... rear cap made a big difference. The side foam pipe was the simplest thing to do (by far), and maybe made the most instant difference. As a side note, I'm also suspicious of wind noise coming in from the rear cap around the area where the rear sits on the trunk. There is a foam seal, but it's minimal.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I think the top side insulation (rubber pipe seal), the rear Z strip and rubber insulation

Completely agree... I'm in a 4 dr as mentioned... rear cap made a big difference. The side foam pipe was the simplest thing to do (by far), and maybe made the most instant difference. As a side note, I'm also suspicious of wind noise coming in from the rear cap around the area where the rear sits on the trunk. There is a foam seal, but it's minimal.
I am looking at that area too, because it is suspect as hell, especially since I pulled it up yesterday and it seems noisier. I think that it's minor by comparison, but worthy of attention.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Copying the OP took 45 minutes and hardly any bucks. Just do it already.

I completed this on Friday and was going to do a review after driving it several days, but no need to wait any longer. This made an enormous difference in wind noise for me. I am actually shocked how much better it is now. I shamelessly copied OP to the T, other than the front drain channel, I just shoved it in there and did not pull off the adhesive tape so I can keep an eye on it. Just felt weird to plug up the drain holes.

Its hard to quantify where the biggest difference was, it was a wind tunnel before. I think the seals on the rear cap made a huge difference, I can pinpoint a little noise back there now that overall noise is way down. I'm almost certain it is from the cap to trunk seam. I think I will attack that with some leftover #2.

It does take some real force to close the latches now, with the extra weather-stripping. Not sure if this is good for the latches long term, especially since I have fasteners in the back that just fell out. Something to keep an eye on, but I aint going back now.

OP
OP
orion1224

orion1224

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Copying the OP took 45 minutes and hardly any bucks. Just do it already.

I completed this on Friday and was going to do a review after driving it several days, but no need to wait any longer. This made an enormous difference in wind noise for me. I am actually shocked how much better it is now. I shamelessly copied OP to the T, other than the front drain channel, I just shoved it in there and did not pull off the adhesive tape so I can keep an eye on it. Just felt weird to plug up the drain holes.

Its hard to quantify where the biggest difference was, it was a wind tunnel before. I think the seals on the rear cap made a huge difference, I can pinpoint a little noise back there now that overall noise is way down. I'm almost certain it is from the cap to trunk seam. I think I will attack that with some leftover #2.

It does take some real force to close the latches now, with the extra weather-stripping. Not sure if this is good for the latches long term, especially since I have fasteners in the back that just fell out. Something to keep an eye on, but I aint going back now.
Bestill my heart! Lol. Well done.

Agreed on the rear seal. I also think #2 is the way to go there. Regarding latches- mine are no harder now. Then again- these are the tight mfg specs, right?! ;)

Squatch Parade

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I tried the panels tonight and it caused them to sit slightly higher, which actually made the wind noise worse 🤣 I guess I should be grateful I have a relatively quiet top and stop trying to improve it.

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Mine was excessively tight (but quiet with the 3/4" hose) - Butt!!! Last night I took two packages of this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089PY6KBC

Universal D-Shape Door Seal 0.47" Height X 0.55" Width Weather Stripping EPDM Rubber Seal Strip Self Adhesive Car Truck Door Window Soundproof Noise Insulation Sealing (10 FT)

Initially, I placed one row in the cap towards the rear of the trough than runs across the clip and then placed a complimentary seal along the top which would interlock with the trough, well that was noisier than the 3/4" hose by itself... but much easier to close. In the end I placed two rows in the bottom trough (filling it) and retained the top seal, which seems to do the trick, yet isn't overly difficult to close the tops.

Currently, I still have the 3/4" in the front trough, and actually, it fits perfectly in there with no extra effort to close. I also ran it through a car wash today for testing, no leaks, fairly aggressive wash. No water in the areas that are "drainage areas". While I respect the person that suggested that these troughs are for draining water... Water is simply not getting in there... and if it is, it's probably because you are a U-Boat commander and have no business in a Bronco.

Dirty Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco - 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco MIC Noise Reduction Guide - wind sound- aka more (or less) cowbell please 4FAF009E-7697-484D-9A3E-E3B762F02B56

Will report back tomorrow but tonight I did the front panels. Reinstalling them made me realize how the piece of Number 1 along the driver side raises bumps caused my panels to sit uneven. No word yet on how this will impact road noise and possible water intrusion. I might change the location of that insulation strip so it’s sitting on the side of the panel indent instead of on the two humps as shown. Stay tuned….

OP
OP
orion1224

orion1224

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Ford Bronco MIC Noise Reduction Guide - wind sound- aka more (or less) cowbell please 4FAF009E-7697-484D-9A3E-E3B762F02B56

Will report back tomorrow but tonight I did the front panels. Reinstalling them made me realize how the piece of Number 1 along the driver side raises bumps caused my panels to sit uneven. No word yet on how this will impact road noise and possible water intrusion. I might change the location of that insulation strip so it’s sitting on the side of the panel indent instead of on the two humps as shown. Stay tuned….
this doesn’t look correct. There shouldn’t be any raising of the panels. Make sure it’s only on the indented parts of the roof and not the raised sections.

Dirty Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco - 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

this doesn’t look correct. There shouldn’t be any raising of the panels. Make sure it’s only on the indented parts of the roof and not the raised sections.
im not sure what you mean by indented vs raised but I followed what you had shown in the picture. I applied it to the two bumps and not the flat part of the roof like the passenger side

OP
OP
orion1224

orion1224

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
im not sure what you mean by indented vs raised but I followed what you had shown in the picture. I applied it to the two bumps and not the flat part of the roof like the passenger side
Basically, you're looking for it to form a seal between the panels- shouldn't really get stuck on top of the other panel. It's not actually applied on the two bumps- it's on the perpendicular surface that comes vertical from the bumps.
Sponsored