Zeebo390

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mustang GT, 2016 Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So literally cardboard honeycomb encased in foam and a thin layer of blow molded polypropylene. Basically the same thing as an Igloo cooler but they added the paperboard for better dimensional stability. Not sure why this was so hard for Webasto, maybe they should’ve hired Igloo or Yeti for the job instead lol.

Or they could have gone with fiberglass or solid injection molded plastic with a few layers of insulating foil and headliner. Not sure how much costlier/heavier that might be but probably way more effective.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mustang Mike

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

NatureMan

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The primary difference there is that nida-core is made exclusively from polypropylene which is impermeable to moisture, has vibration and noise dampening properties and is easy to work with.

The tops on Bronco appear to be a combination of cardboard and a paper honeycomb, which gives it the properties of something that will constantly have problems unless not 100% isolated and protected from environmental factors..... The type of protection that clearly Ford hasn't figured out how to manufacture yet.
Do you have faith in the MOD top being higher quality, or just a polished(painted) (hotdog) turd?

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Do you have faith in the MOD top being higher quality, or just a polished(painted) (hotdog) turd?
Oh who possibly knows!

One would assume the cheapest way to accomplish the MOD top would be to manufacture the tops exactly the same as regular hard tops, except to have a smooth external plastic shell mold and possibly different shipping racks. You're then really only looking at one extra set of molds for each panel across the entire roof setup.

This does make the assumption that the roof is functional in the first place, all our fingers are crossed for Roof v5.5!!!!

Then slap them in the spray booth along with the rig and you've got yourself a profit-margin!

Sponsored

NatureMan

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Oh who possibly knows!

One would assume the cheapest way to accomplish the MOD top would be to manufacture the tops exactly the same as regular hard tops, except to have a smooth external plastic shell mold and possibly different shipping racks. You're then really only looking at one extra set of molds for each panel across the entire roof setup.

This does make the assumption that the roof is functional in the first place, all our fingers are crossed for Roof v5.5!!!!

Then slap them in the spray booth along with the rig and you've got yourself a profit-margin!
Fuck.

daddycreswell

Wildtrak
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Raptor, 1973 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I bought a new blackstone griddle. This was in it, figured I'd keep it on hand in case I need to repair my roof when it gets here.

20211104_164221.jpg

MDbeachguy

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
if ford is reading this. Im not buying a mod top if its constructed this way. Please make the mod top premium construction. Even solid metal would be better than this shit.

Sponsored

jd-ford-hd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘16 Explorer, ‘13 F150, ‘99 F350, '74 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is me caressing my soft top.!! ❤

Ford Bronco MIC Top 1.0 inside construction & material (cross section) - pics 5251927A-3A2E-49B4-BF30-97DF2A14446B

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Why the fuck would they make a top out of cardboard couldn’t they just use like all plastic or even fiberglass
I suggest you do some research on the use of cores in fiberglass panel construction. Its both lighter and stronger. Boats, aircraft, the materials used in such construction have benefitted from incredible improvement over the decades. Resins, laminates, infusions, molds, its a fascinating world that your question dosen't do justice to. Check out this article from the marine industry, with cross-referencing to aircraft innovation.
https://www.boats.com/on-the-water/boat-building-construction-resin-fiberglass-cores/

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Kids.....something new popped up in the parts catalogue. They are showing top section assemblies, less glass, but says includes hardware. They're on BO right now but supposed to be off mid November. Think I might try to order this stuff and see what comes in. If it has the sound deadening and latches this might be what they're planning on offering as an "accessory". I will say the price to do these, even at dealer cost is redic
What about the locking pins ?
What are you calling the locking pins? The description says they are included but the individual section diagrams don't use that actual term. At least that I've found so far.

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

@Dragline These formed tops remind me of the type of Kevlar, Nomex and fiberglass honeycomb panels used in the manufacture of aircraft.
The panels I have seen have the finished coatings applied prior to the forming process. ( vacuum or hot press )
These edges really need to have a UV resistant strip.
A few references :
Understanding Honeycomb Panel and Honeycomb Composite Structures - YouTube
aeroFIBER™ Honeycomb Panels (collinsaerospace.com)
The UV stabilization has been my concern for the the whole top. I worked for a Tier 3 supplier that made plastic resins for the auto industry. The plastic parts on the exterior (like mirror housings) had 3x as much carbon black pigment as the parts in the engine bay (like the fan shroud). The Bronco MIC that I checked out at my dealer looked nice, but was definitely a lighter gray than the top on my neighbor's jeep.

They could be using another UV stabilizer. Or, it's a design screw up.
Sponsored