Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Grand Cherokee, 2008 Suzuki B-King
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

1636027600462.png

Has to be scrapped.
Seems like a waste, even if the top isn't 100% perfect. I would suggest taking one and cutting it multiple times at slightly different angles and taking pictures in different places in the shop to use for future claims.

Also, can anyone confirm that these are actually NEW tops, and not just old tops with a new coat of primer on them?
Sponsored

Blue's B6G

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco OB 2-Door V6 Sasquatch AMB High Pack
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
1636027600462.png

Has to be scrapped.
Thanks, Flip. Any idea why they care what happens to the old one? Probably don’t want crappy parts floating around but if the customer wants to keep it for parts or whatever, I don’t see why they would rather cut and dispose of it.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks, Flip. Any idea why they care what happens to the old one? Probably don’t want crappy parts floating around but if the customer wants to keep it for parts or whatever, I don’t see why they would rather cut and dispose of it.
Don't want it back in circulation for safety and profiteering of a known bad part. They originally wanted it repacked and sent back. Someone with a lick of common sense probably said that's going to cost $XXXXXX to ship then $XXXXXXX for us to get rid of it, f that. Pay the dealer 1.5 hours to swap tops and glass then let them pay to get rid of = WIN! I bet that person got a promotion and bonus, possibly stock options as well.

GreyBronco

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element. 2 Civics and a Kawasaki ZRX1200R
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hello! My store recently replaced a MIC 1.0 top for one of our customers, and part of the replacement process required us to cut up the old top panels. Would anyone be interested in seeing the inside of the MIC top?

Edit: Below are some pictures that I took of the MIC 1.0. After inspecting the top and seeing just how thin that outer shell is, I can see why the honeycomb structure of the top was showing through when exposed to extreme heat/moisture.

View attachment 200196
View attachment 200197
View attachment 200198
View attachment 200199
View attachment 200200
I wonder how safe this would be in a rollover or will it shatter in cold weather? Humm

Sponsored

JBowles

Badlands
First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

paper honeycomb sandwich panel is fairly standard product in the automotive world, I'd bet some of you are driving a car already that has this.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Roll bars, are for rolls.

Ford Bronco MIC Top 1.0 inside construction & material (cross section) - pics rd-bronco-2021-oem-29-angle-blue-exterior-off-road
Not roll bars! That would imply they are designed to protect you from harm in the event of a rollover and give some law firm litigation ammo. It's called a "Sport Bar", like suspension parts offered by Ford to bring the front end up is a "leveling kit", not a lift kit.

Word games, LOL.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Why the fuck would they make a top out of cardboard couldn’t they just use like all plastic or even fiberglass
Many fiberglass boats have a foam or balsa core, wonder why they didn’t use foam? I guess cardboard is the core in this case.

Either way the real problem is fibers for the matting (or whatever) coming through the seams, and the outer layer (gelcoat equivalent) being too thin, not the cardboard. (This overlooks popping noise and leak problems, which we don’t know if they’ve fixed yet.)

Going to be a lot of jokes from the Jeep crowd about cardboard tops though …

Sponsored

heavyD

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 BMW X3M Competition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I don't have any issue with the construction. However for this design to keep its structural integrity it's imperative that the panels be sealed and protected from water contamination. From all the photos I've seen of these panels the edges are woefully finished and it's only a matter of time until they take in water. Building roof panels that are environmentally sealed shouldn't be a big issue in 2021 but I imagine Ford nickel and dimed the supplier to the point where properly sealing the panels is impossible at the price point. Big fail by both parties IMO.

Jeffal

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I told you I bought the FORD extended warranty right? 🧐
Convertible tops and exterior body panels are specifically stated as not covered by the Ford extended warranties.

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Because they are same design, the engineers at Ford just reintroduced the 30% of the polyurethane they removed due to the Covid plastic constrain
Define... "just reintroduced".... time frame????

The_Viking

Big Bend
First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ford Bronco MIC Top 1.0 inside construction & material (cross section) - pics dupont.PNG

I would venture to say this is the material that a lot of the members on this board are claiming is cardboard. It took 2 minutes to search and find this, and I really don't believe an advanced car company beholden to its investors, would produce $40-60k vehicles with cardboard reinforcing the top...just sayin
Sponsored

Last edited: