First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I wish, she's cardboard unfortunately, this is from Webasto's sell sheet on the product.

Screenshot_20211104-131117_Chrome.jpg
Its paper, (Aramid honeycomb paper) not cardboard....Its the same composite used in aircraft honeycombs also...helicopter blades

Features:
High density, excellent corrosion and fire resistance (aramid paper having high strength and excellent heat resistance is molded into a honeycomb shape and impregnated with resin).
This product has acquired certification from domestic and international aircraft manufacturers as a material for manufacturing complex, high-performance structural elements by being bonded to a variety of surface materials, including composite materials such as prepregs.
Sponsored

The_Viking

Big Bend
First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
This is a paper core coated with a resin to make your desired density core, i.e. 2, 4, 6 or 8 pounds per square foot. Worked the Aircraft industry and saw enough core to last two lifetimes.
Then Im sure youre aware Aramid paper isn't cardboard then.

LSU Jonno

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Why the fuck would they make a top out of cardboard couldn’t they just use like all plastic or even fiberglass
This is pretty standard construction. If you've flown on a 787 or an A350 then you've flown on an airplane with a similar construction, only instead of cardboard core it's aluminum foil.

We've made rocket skins out of that construction too...

LSU Jonno

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Panaran

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CX5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
We're getting pretty bent out of shape from a few pictures of a very rough cut cross section of the roofs. Most of the pic's look like they were cut at an angle, and would destroy whatever is inside the top. Look at the pic of the rear shell that is cut perpendicular, its much better filled and looks to be more like what we expected. It's entirely possible the way the first few sections were cut, makes it look worse than it really is. This is one shops cross section from random cuts at bad angles. It's almost like people on this forum are just looking for things to get upset about at this point.

Sponsored

lasttj

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep TJ, '16 Ford F150, '65 VW Beetle
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'd love to see a cross section of a Wrangler top for comparison.

markregel

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base
Why the fuck would they make a top out of cardboard couldn’t they just use like all plastic or even fiberglass
Its just filler and insulation dude the strength is in the structure. Airplane composites literally have a Styrofoam core. Nothing is made of all fiberglass or plastic, if it was it would be a horrible and heavy design. This is typical composite construction designed to have a high strength to weight ratio. The company Wabasto makes the tops, If Ford made it it would be stamped out of steel that's what they know how to do. Then we wouldn't have a removable roof.

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well that looks like crap. Why bother waiting for a hard top if that's what it's made out of? I don't see any advantage in getting a hard top over a soft top with that shoddy construction.

skater777

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It looks like that paper honeycomb is widely used, but the outer layers are clearly too thin and the edges are exposed. I'm no engineer, but I would fire the one who designed this.

Ford put a band-aid on the exposed edge issue with their half-assed "rolled edge" solution for 2.0, but didn't do anything about the honeycomb/outer layer thickness. I bet it won't be solved until MIC 3.0, if at all.

I hope for the best for those of you getting this top. May your warranty claims go smoothly.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Would be great if someone could pour water or soak the open edge of that top. To test how well the inner materials handle water.

For me the honeycomb structure hasn't been the issue, rather it's been concern over the edge delamination possibly compromising the edge strength and ability to protect the inner materials from water migrating inside and over time causing issues.

Ford Bronco MIC Top 1.0 inside construction & material (cross section) - pics 1636060563872

Sponsored

_jeff

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands, 23 Lightning Pro, 14 FLD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This makes me feel much better about taking the free roof option for the factory then going AF to get something better. Also gets me my Bronco sooner.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
And that's why the to is under $700
Good luck finding one for $700 when they are available stand alone from Ford... It's not gonna happen.

Diydner

Outer Banks
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This totally looks like they took a piece of cardboard and line-x'd it, to create the hardtop!

Markubis

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus, Ford Ranger XLT, Can Am Ryker
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
How much honey did you get out of the Mic top? And did you save the queen?
Sponsored