UniBroncorn

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I know there have been numerous posts regarding the MIC top but non have really addressed the durability. Now that people have the Bronco in their hands can someone comment on durability.

-scratch resistance/lack of scratch resistance

-Probably too early but fading from sun. I heard the jeep non-pianted back hardtops fade but are waxable to prevent fading and even restorable if they are faded. Are Bronco MIC tops waxable/restorable?

Ordered a 4 door 2.7 BL SAS LUX and may go for 2022 instead of waiting for 2023 MOD painted top.

FWIW I do think MIC looks better than MOD but, MOD has removable rear windows.
Sponsored

Chrism81

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

if there are any problems they will probably surface after a year. I don't think ford wants this to come back to bite them in the ass down the road so hopefully the ones they are sending out have no issues. With the all known issues about MIC now ford would be 100% responsible for these issues in the future

myrealname123

Badlands
First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm not sure how much data can be available on the durability of this MIC top given customers just got their hands on it a few weeks ago.

Welcome to the forum!

OP
OP
UniBroncorn

UniBroncorn

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Hopefully a YouTuber will do a Bronco torture test. See how much punishment the vehicle and components can take before failing.

Sponsored

Thechief86

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Jeep XJ, 2008 Subaru Forester.
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hopefully a YouTuber will do a Bronco torture test. See how much punishment the vehicle and components can take before failing.
Maybe that Whistlin Diesel moron will get one...

fschael

Base
First Name
Federico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F-150 Supercrew FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
I know there have been numerous posts regarding the MIC top but non have really addressed the durability. Now that people have the Bronco in their hands can someone comment on durability.

-Probably too early but fading from sun. I heard the jeep non-pianted back hardtops fade but are waxable to prevent fading and even restorable if they are faded. Are Bronco MIC tops waxable/restorable?

Ordered a 4 door 2.7 BL SAS LUX and may go for 2022 instead of waiting for 2023 MOD painted top.

I would guess that having Mold In Color technology on the hard tops will kind of prevent this fading color issue with time. I mean, is not painted like the Wrangler. If you cut it, you will see the same color inside of the plastic.

That is my best guess about the MIC and the reason behind it to be mold in color.

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

i am pretty sure ford is already doing the torture to failure testing with the bronco off roadeo. i just doubt they are going to be releasing that data. i guess we will need to wait for one of the mechanics to get fired and spill the beans...

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Maybe that Whistlin Diesel moron will get one...
I was quick to dismiss the guy as well, but then I realized that he’s happily married and worth for more than I, and got that way having fun. I at least match the happily married part.

I’m in his corner, right up until the inevitable meth arrest and conviction.

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If anything, it fading issues won't show up till years down the road with it. I'm assuming the material is similar to black/dark grey plastics you see on trucks and there are plenty of products out there that restore "blackness" of those plastics from auto detailing places.

Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Early reports from an insider was that the MIC tops scratched pretty easy, and the handling and transport of them to keep them undamaged was part of the issues with webasto.

We will surely start to hear real world reports any day now… even if it does scratch easy. It might be the type of thing that one can easily touch up with a sharpie or something.

Al Cowlings

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Who knows? Jeep hardtops are fine. I've owned three of them. They scratch just like paint scratches because they're painted, but I never really had an issue with mine. As for the MIC, I imagine it will scratch just like plastic trim can be scratched.

I'm sure the MIC hardtop will fade if you leave it parked in hard sunlight for many years, but it's not something I'd lose an ounce of sleep over. There are plenty of protective products available if that's a concern for you. Or just use your garage.

I'm much more concerned about the integrity of the mechanical/electrical components of this rig than whether my hardtop will fade, a little, in five years. Early reports are that Ford has over-engineered the Bronco, which is great, and the 2.3L has proven solid in the Ranger. So I'm cautiously optimistic.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You've summarized pretty much what the situation would be with this type of material and how to care for it.

I would apply a paint sealant to the top along with the paint of the car if you must.

For me, this is an off roader and will have scratches all over from tree branches and twigs on tight trails. Not even sure I'll try to protect this paint.

My Bronco will basically be an off road beater with lots of scratches and paint forming a one of a kind patina and lots of character after a couple of years.

I will apply vinyl protectant to my seats and the dash though....

LeshMcG

Black Diamond
First Name
Alicia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I did find out that the fender flares scratch SUPER easy. I noticed they were textured when I saw one in person and when I ran my nail over it, whoops, it scratched. I know it's not the exact material as the MIC, but I imagine they aren't too far apart.

Al Cowlings

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
TBH, if you're worried about scratches and fading, I'd get the painted hardtop and have a quality self-healing PPF applied. Runs about $5k for an entire vehicle, but everyone I know who has had it done friggin' loves it.
Sponsored