Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Polaris Slingshot
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

the plot thickens!! so now we have 2 forum members with 2 doors that doesn't have that bracket, and at least 1 who does. The bracket seems to be screwed onto the clamshell, meaning there has to be a steel nut molded into the clamshell to accept it.

It seems to be pointing to a change in the design for the 2 door clamshells....

I have searched for videos of 2 doors with top removed, and the only one I ever found is that CO one being demo'd on, and that top definitely don't have the brackets.

We need more 2 door owners (all 7 of them) to double check their rigs to see if the bracket is installed or not.

peta8368

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Polaris Slingshot
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Bold assumption considering the quality design of these tops so far. Could be a self tapping deck screw at this rate.
Yes, I thought about that... but am reluctant to admit that to be a possibility........

Boxer4

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRUCK
Your Bronco Model
Base
Well explain this picture then: it is a bracket that is mounted on the clamshell side of my MIC top and it is shaped to "curve" down to the screw location. ??!! I took that pic from inside, sitting in back seat, looking out toward the bracket that was sitting on top of the screw. Does your top not have this bracket? Mine does. And I'm glad it does -- it connects the front of the clambshell to the body.

I will re-install my top tonight and take more pics. Maybe Ford re-designed the MIC top to add that bracket? Maybe the stinking owners manual is incorrect (wouldn't surprise me -- damn owner's manual is not the height of clarity, and it does not even mention the wireless key pad option).

Top 4.jpg
Your Bronco- Do as you choose. Do you think the height of the bolt head will conflict with the front panels? Do you plan to put a spacing ferrule in the gap as not to bend clamshell edge? Wonder why Ford didn't fully offset the bracket if the intent was to bolt it down ?

Sponsored

Boxer4

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRUCK
Your Bronco Model
Base
My hardtop was built on 6/29, blend date 7/2 (the Friday before a holiday weekend) and no problems with the roof at all. No bracket on my two-door hardtop where you have one. The place where you have a bracket is where the mesh top bolts in, FWIW.

44F869B0-9D5D-40EA-A880-A28F808DCC0C.jpeg
9834F7C8-8FC5-4C84-ABCE-2A53953FDBA2.jpeg
B067903D-CCCB-4EB7-9749-46139B88B862.jpeg
I have the same dates and no bracket. I have a question about your strap and the Clamshell front edge. The edge appeared to me to have a lot a flex. Do you have any concerns about the pressure hanging from this point over the long term? Not the gasket but the 3" of single thickenss of MIC material

OP
OP

95Bravo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
No bracket on my two-door hardtop where you have one. The place where you have a bracket is where the mesh top bolts in, FWIW
OK. Ford must have changed the design? (Btw, logically, the mesh top could share the hole with the clambshell becuase Ford could assume no top when you install the mesh top.) Whatever the explanation, it's strange.

For the record, in my original post I said it was not a big deal. I just thought there were other folks who's tops might be installed incorrectly. I have zero doubt that, on my top that has a bracket, the screw is supposed to go through the bracket. If others don't have the bracket or feel like the bracket is supposed to ride on top of the screwhead, so be it. As Boxer4 said - your Bronco, do as you choose.

Do you think the height of the bolt head will conflict with the front panels? Do you plan to put a spacing ferrule in the gap as not to bend clamshell edge? Wonder why Ford didn't fully offset the bracket if the intent was to bolt it down ?
I don't think the bolt head height will conflict because it was already there--I did not add it--so it was in place, at the same height, and when I put the top back on it will be the same height except that now the bracket will go under the head of the screw. Don't follow the "fully offset" question. The bracket hole lines up perfectly with the screw hole - what offset? And fully offset? Does it look only partially offset? My guess is that the bracket was added to provide additional strength/structure to the front of the clambshell. Maybe they got into supply issues and stopped adding the bracket. (??) Maybe Ford determined it was structurally sound without the bracket (??)

the plot thickens!! so now we have 2 forum members with 2 doors that doesn't have that bracket, and at least 1 who does. The bracket seems to be screwed onto the clamshell, meaning there has to be a steel nut molded into the clamshell to accept it.
The plot thickens, indeed. It's strange. But whatever the answer, it seems like with or without the bracket the tops are working (thankfully).

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Took my hard top off for the first time and discovered that it came from Ford incorrectly installed. The front bracket was mounted on top of the screw rather than through it. Not a big deal, but I'm wondering if this is true for other owners and whether it is contributing to the popping and creaking noises many owners are experiencing.

Top 1.jpg

Top above.jpg
As others said, make sure the factory gets notified. I would also take a hard look at that rubber seal....it should be smooth and not have cracks in it. Thanks for letting us know!

Blue's B6G

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco OB 2-Door V6 Sasquatch AMB High Pack
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have the same dates and no bracket. I have a question about your strap and the Clamshell front edge. The edge appeared to me to have a lot a flex. Do you have any concerns about the pressure hanging from this point over the long term? Not the gasket but the 3" of single thickenss of MIC material
Oh I hadn’t noticed that flex before, thanks! Like you said, the whole lip isn’t flexible all the way across the front of the clamshell, it’s just that corner edge up to where my straps are located, thankfully. I’ll adjust the hoist to a narrower track now that I see this. Thank you!

For others, red is flexible, green is not.

Ford Bronco MIC top installed incorrectly by factory (front bracket mounted on top screw rather than through it) 05283EF8-27A7-4519-B868-B398AF7925FB

Boxer4

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRUCK
Your Bronco Model
Base
Don't follow the "fully offset" question.
Guess what I am saying is that it looks like you have to add washers under the bracket so the bolt does not bend or twist the bracket at the underside of the MIC.

Sponsored

Boxer4

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRUCK
Your Bronco Model
Base
Oh I hadn’t noticed that flex before, thanks! Like you said, the whole lip isn’t flexible all the way across the front of the clamshell, it’s just that corner edge up to where my straps are located, thankfully. I’ll adjust the hoist to a narrower track now that I see this. Thank you!

For others, red is flexible, green is not.

Ford Bronco MIC top installed incorrectly by factory (front bracket mounted on top screw rather than through it) 05283EF8-27A7-4519-B868-B398AF7925FB
Good- I working on a design for a spanner bar setup. It's a rig that sits between a center lifting hook and the top of the MIC. It would keep straps in the same location and in a vertical position.

sardog12

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2016 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Took my hard top off for the first time and discovered that it came from Ford incorrectly installed. The front bracket was mounted on top of the screw rather than through it. Not a big deal, but I'm wondering if this is true for other owners and whether it is contributing to the popping and creaking noises many owners are experiencing.

Is this the Ford quality that everyone is crowing so loudly about? :ROFLMAO:

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Here’s another data point. My Base 2-door had a 7/19 build date, doesn’t seem to have that bracket.

Ford Bronco MIC top installed incorrectly by factory (front bracket mounted on top screw rather than through it) 98E5EEBC-694F-43FD-A17A-60EBF24A7F2C

Ford Bronco MIC top installed incorrectly by factory (front bracket mounted on top screw rather than through it) 35796517-32D4-492F-AF88-35DCCD89FD7B

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee Overland
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It seems to be pointing to a change in the design for the 2 door clamshells....

I have searched for videos of 2 doors with top removed, and the only one I ever found is that CO one being demo'd on, and that top definitely don't have the brackets.

We need more 2 door owners (all 7 of them) to double check their rigs to see if the bracket is installed or not.
My 2 door does NOT have that bracket