First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
Previously I was able to stop the popping noise by tightening the latch over the driver's head. I thought I was good, but it came back a couple hundred miles later.

So today was round 2. If it wasn't driving me nuts, I would just leave it alone since we are all getting new 2.0 MIC tops someday.

I wasn't able to simply tighten the latch this time, so I took it apart. I put the top on a towel on the workbench to prevent scratches.
Ford Bronco MIC Top popping noise round 2 20211005_151033

The latch in question is the one directly over the driver's head. (Note they are not interchangeable, do one at a time)
Ford Bronco MIC Top popping noise round 2 20211005_151038

Latch removed, note the washer under the latch. The washer isn't necessary, the metal cylinder in the center doesn't move. The latch spins on the cylinder. (see vid) I suspect the washer was added to create space for the latch to move easier on the cylinder. It inserts play too.
Ford Bronco MIC Top popping noise round 2 20211005_151220

Ford Bronco MIC Top popping noise round 2 20211005_151247

I removed the washer and reassembled. The latch is much tighter, and takes more effort to rotate.
Funny the spring loaded ball now snaps into place when it reaches one of the detents.

Ford Bronco MIC Top popping noise round 2 20211005_151412

Removed the washer in all three latches.
Ford Bronco MIC Top popping noise round 2 20211005_151706

Test drive and no more popping. We'll see how long it lasts.
Sponsored

Last edited:

CO-Bronco

Badlands
First Name
CO-Bronco
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 - 4dr - Cyber Orange - Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Previously I was able to stop the popping noise by tightening the latch over the driver's head. I thought I was good, but it came back a couple hundred miles later.

So today was round 2. If it wasn't driving me nuts, I would just leave it alone since we are all getting new 2.0 MIC tops someday.

I wasn't able to simply tighten the latch this time, so I took it apart. I put the top on a towel on the workbench to prevent scratches.

The latch in question is the one directly over the driver's head. (Note they are not interchangeable, do one at a time)

Latch removed, note the washer under the latch. The washer isn't necessary, the metal cylinder in the center doesn't move. The latch spins on the cylinder. (see vid) I suspect the washer was added to create space for the latch to move easier on the cylinder. It inserts play too.

I removed the washer and reassembled. The latch is much tighter, and takes more effort to rotate.
Funny the spring loaded ball now snaps into place when it reaches one of the detents.

Nicely done!

Ford Bronco MIC Top popping noise round 2 giphy (6) (25)

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I hope it works. If you find that a washer is needed, the flat washer could be swapped for a wave washer. That would put some outward pressure on the latch.

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Awesome. Keep us posted! Hopefully it helps for at least a decent amount of time.

MrGreen55

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
toyota scion xb
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hope I don't have to use all your hard work with the top when my bronco come's in.

Sponsored

DWood

Black Diamond
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Props to diving into it. I had the same issue only one latch was loose. Tightening fixed the majority of the noises. There was still a random creaking which seems to of gone away by now (5500 miles)

KingWillard

Black Diamond
First Name
Willard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Black Diamond 2.3 MT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I had a rattling noise coming from the same area. I did not tighten the latch, but I taped some rubber around the guide pin near the latch, as it sounded to me like the pin was bumping the metal bracket. It has only been a couple of days, but I have not heard the rattling since. Maybe I will tighten the bracket too.

JGee

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thanks for sharing this. I took my MIC top apart and it appears that I don' t have any of the washers that you show in the pictures above. So regardless, I tightened all the fasteners up, let's see if the pop noises subside. I did do some serious offroading last month so I suspect the pounding may have loosened things up.

Newraptor

Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus , Ford f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have a mic top too and it does the same thing. It is driving me crazy. You spent so much money on a brand new vehicle and they can’t even make it right. I’m going to wait for the new top if it still does it I’m gonna take it back to Ford under the lemon law.

JGee

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have a mic top too and it does the same thing. It is driving me crazy. You spent so much money on a brand new vehicle and they can’t even make it right. I’m going to wait for the new top if it still does it I’m gonna take it back to Ford under the lemon law.
If the tightening of the fasteners doesn't work, I am going to try the 1 inch closed cell foam fix on the locator pins that has been discussed elsewhere in the forum. Let's see....

Sponsored
OP
OP
JKommuter

JKommuter

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
When I first saw the TFL video I dismissed the popping sound. Then when mine started doing it I understood. It drives you crazy. The good news is that my fix is still working. Of course I've only done a few errands, I'm afraid a washboard road might start it up again. Anyway its good now, hopefully I get the new MIC top soon and it doesn't come with this problem.

JGee

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thanks for sharing this. I took my MIC top apart and it appears that I don' t have any of the washers that you show in the pictures above. So regardless, I tightened all the fasteners up, let's see if the pop noises subside. I did do some serious offroading last month so I suspect the pounding may have loosened things up.
Tightened everything up and no joy. Still makes pop noises. Next step is to clean and silicone lube the weatherstripping. I also bought some closed cell form to use on the locator pins as suggested elsewhere.

antman92

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

mine is the plastic covering over the pull down latch on MIC 2.0 right above drivers head and its absolutely annoying the shit out of me

JGee

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I used the closed cell foam fix on the front locating pins at the front latches and that did the trick! I just used door weatherstripping foam. Make sure it’s closed cell type. Makes the main latches harder to close but that is to be expected since it is now an interference fit.

OP
OP
JKommuter

JKommuter

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
mine is the plastic covering over the pull down latch on MIC 2.0 right above drivers head and its absolutely annoying the shit out of me
Great, I was hoping the known issues would be addressed in the MIC 2.0. I should have known better. My 1.0 is still quiet after my fix, but it sounds like I might have to deal with it again after it gets replaced...
Sponsored