Sponsored

Mickey Thompson vs. Dick Cepek (looking for opinions)

mrcx

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'67 Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've run Toyo Open Country M/T on my Wranglers and liked them. Looked good, never had any issues on or off road. You can get them in a 16" wheel, which might fit on the Bronco. I prefer a smaller rim. I wish I could get 15" rims on the Bronco, but from what I've read that won't work with the size of the brakes.

Ford Bronco Mickey Thompson vs. Dick Cepek (looking for opinions) 1605027219321
Sponsored

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looking for some opinions on this one. I WON'T be going off road. My Bronco will see snow, dry pavement, rain and a little bit of mud here and there. The build I'm leaning towards is a Big Bend, V6, 4.27 gears. But I'm also about appearance. Looking to put either 285's or 295's (if I can squeeze them) on her. Will more than likely need to swap the wheels as well for a proper offset, but my question is about tires.

So here's my deal, I come from running BFG Mud Terrains (35's) back in the day. NEVER had an issue with snow, mud or whatever, loved those tires and easily got 35-40k miles out of them no problem.

Currently looking @ Mickey Thompson Baha ATZ P3 & Dick Cepek Fun Country. Not so worried about road noise (especially looking at mud terrains, I know what to expect).

Does anyone have any experience with these tires? If so what are your opinion of them?

Reason for choosing these (2) are looks and cost (generally $250-$260 range for 285's). So if anyone has any other thoughts, I'm listening. Could still opt for the BFG's, but I'd be looking $300+/tire for the KM3's.
You're killing me man... No to car tires... The aggressive look is what I want..

Something like the BFG KM3's. Or the other 2 mentioned above. I've had plenty of BFG MT's that saw more snow than mud. And I feel a truck/suv should look like a truck, car tires don't cut it, nor does running big tires on huge rims ?

If me and @MaverickMan had it our way, we'd be running Swampers on 15" wheels ? but I'll skip the swampers this time for my on-road driving.
these grip real good on curbs.
Ford Bronco Mickey Thompson vs. Dick Cepek (looking for opinions) 1605027626140

they are mickey thompsons as well

BillyGoat

Wildtrak
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ford Taurus Ltd. - Company Sled & Wifeā€™s Lexus
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Nitto Terra Grapler...better traction in rain and snow over my previous BFG KO2s. The Nittoā€™s have far less noise too.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good to know on the Nitto's

If you really want to stand out they have brought back the Gateway Buckshots .......no need to balance

It's funny to read the disclaimer tho , they never said that in the 80's
wow those are NAAAAAssss-T!

Edit:
For when you have to plow the lower 40 at noon but meet at Starbucks at 6.

Ford Bronco Mickey Thompson vs. Dick Cepek (looking for opinions) 0%2Fe%2F7%2Ff%2F0e7ffe2f00ede6ccae69d128c96f9d05ffe84a20_bsmmt7815__lg__55150__37956.1604715419

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I had Mickeys Deegan 38 MTs on my van and they did pretty good especially for a 7500lb van. Never got stuck anywhere with em. The ATZs look a lil too street for my tastes.
I will say that those Deegans were supposed to be IRocks but the tire shop ran out and I was leaving in 2 days for a cross country trip. I had bald BFGs and no choice. But overall was happy with em. 33x12.50 16s at 75 to 80 mph in a 79 Econoline with no overdrive, rode great and took me down a goat trail for about 25 miles in the rain at decent elevation between colorado and wyoming.

No experience with the cepecks, but only their most hardcore ever even look acceptable to me. Just get some boggers and cut em to whatever tread you like!:ROFLMAO:

Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
wow those are NAAAAAssss-T!

Edit:
For when you have to plow the lower 40 at noon but meet at Starbucks at 6.

Ford Bronco Mickey Thompson vs. Dick Cepek (looking for opinions) 0%2Fe%2F7%2Ff%2F0e7ffe2f00ede6ccae69d128c96f9d05ffe84a20_bsmmt7815__lg__55150__37956.1604715419
I propose a theory. Is the Bronco suspension sofisticated enough to run chunky bias ply tires and still have better handling than say a TJ on mud terrain radials? These are the answers we need from Ford. Have they done any testing with AG tires?

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Canā€™t go wrong with BFGs.

My go to for a few years now has been Cooper Discoverer STT Pro. Iā€™m probably going to get rid of the Goodyears and switch to the STT Pros.
Cooper has been my go to for years. Hell of a value...

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I propose a theory. Is the Bronco suspension sofisticated enough to run chunky bias ply tires and still have better handling than say a TJ on mud terrain radials? These are the answers we need from Ford. Have they done any testing with AG tires?
I would probably regret this, but they are available in a 315/70/17 radial tire... But they look cool
Ford Bronco Mickey Thompson vs. Dick Cepek (looking for opinions) IROK_ND_Group_1200x1200

BroncBro

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Currently running 285 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on the wife's Jeep, and to be honest, I'm not impressed with them. They feel slippery on wet roads, kind of like I always felt the Goodyear tires have (not sure of recent Goodyears though). I like the look of them, but so far not the performance.
I got some Cooper STT Pros a few months back. Iā€™m in FL where it rains all the time, a lot. These are the most highway grippy tires that I can remember and Iā€™ve had all of the top tires within the top brands over the years.
They are a little louder than KO2s but not by much.
I also had the Ridge Grapplers before these. The STT Pros are much better on wet pavement.
The ones pictured below on my Taco are 285/70/17 with a 9.5ā€ wide wheel.

Ford Bronco Mickey Thompson vs. Dick Cepek (looking for opinions) B40D73F5-CFE8-4E4C-86E6-BC1E303EC26B
Ford Bronco Mickey Thompson vs. Dick Cepek (looking for opinions) 2842A19F-6007-44C6-B982-B11C8EAD21FE

Sponsored

Mr Big

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep LJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Eventually Iā€™d like to run 37s. But I havenā€™t really heard much info about the axles. pretty sure the rear is a Dana 44. Iā€™m sure the front ifs is not as strong as the D44. Add in the front & rear lockers plus 37s and Iā€™m sure stuff is gonna break.

my fiance keeps reminding me that this is not the same as the Jeep and I should be satisfied with 35s. With the price of the Bronco I wouldnā€™t/shouldnā€™t want to wheel it that hard anyway.

steverollin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Badlands, BMW X7, LX 570, TRX on order
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Don't get me wrong, I love the look of the Grapplers and yes quieter than a BFG Mud Terrain for sure. But too many times I've noticed slippage on wet roads, and that I'm not liking. Especially since I drive ALL my vehicles like I drive my Mustang. Quick acceleration, and I fly through turns. I'm worried I'll be spinning them more than anything on the Bronco.

BFG's never failed me, I'm just looking to save $30-$50/tire.
I'm confused by this. I thought it was pretty well known that mud terrain tires are among the worst in the wet? Isn't that right? Lots don't have the little sipes (whatever they're called) that help with water correct? Even my hybrid tires have some sipes. But an all terrain would be substantially better than a mud terrain in the wet right?

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Flex EcoBoost, 2010 Milan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If you're considering Dick Cepek, then obviously the Crusher. Nobody's gonna mess with tacticool skull-and-crossbones.

dick-cepek-crusher-large.jpg
Sponsored