Sponsored

Midland GXT1000VP4 2-way radio - feedback / review?

grayshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Academy has these on sale. Looking for feedback as I know nothing about comm. equipment.

Are these a good starting point for the novice?

TIA
Sponsored

TexAZ

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We've used them for hunting here in AZ with no problems. Not much of a review (and they weren't mine), but when we've needed them, they worked. Enough for my wife to get me set for Xmas.

I've yet to see how they will be on the trail. I've always used a Cobra C75wxst with an antenna and may still go that route but hoping the Midlands will do the trick.

Sure do miss Academy!

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Those will do a good job for you.

Most people who are disappointed are disapointed because the radio won't reach out 50 miles or 20 miles etc.... like the packaging says. They would go that far if you were on a tower or a mountain and had a clear view to the other person using the same frequency. Line of sight.
The radio frequency is the limiting factor not the radio. If not in line of sight you will reduce the range. The radios will go through buildings and between floors but that too reduces the range.
The weaker power FRS radios will penetrate less floors than the more power allowed on GRMS radios.

If you have a mix of rolling hills, forest, canyons etc...your range will be reduced with all consumer handheld radios. If in Moab canyonland you won'y talk to anyone in the next canyon. If on a ski mountain you may talk from summit to lodge. Midland and Motorola are both good brands.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Academy has these on sale. Looking for feedback as I know nothing about comm. equipment.

Are these a good starting point for the novice?

TIA
I bought a set of these Midland GMRS handheld radios about a week ago for $68.00 off the shelf in the electronics department at my local Walmart Supercenter, and then I tested them out on a single-track 4x4 trail deep in the Ozarks yesterday afternoon with @kodiakisland.

Both handhelds worked perfectly all afternoon. They were completely silent when not transmitting or receiving, and displayed zero static, squelch, or feedback when transmitting and receiving. The signal was very clean. Frankly, they were perfect for both vehicle-to-vehicle and spotter-to-driver communications on the trail. And after wheeling for 4-1/2 hours, the battery meters on both handhelds had not dropped a single bar.

FWIW, these were recommended to me by a good friend and Jeep owner who has been into radios for over three decades, from CB to GMRS to licensed Ham operator. He uses them with his in-vehicle radio all the time, and as a real radio nerd, he would not have recommended them if he felt they were insufficient for my off-roading needs.

Needless to say, I am very pleased with the purchase. 👍

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I bought a set of these Midland GMRS handheld radios about a week ago for $68.00 off the shelf in the electronics department at my local Walmart Supercenter, and then I tested them out on a single-track 4x4 trail deep in the Ozarks yesterday afternoon with @kodiakisland.

Both handhelds worked perfectly all afternoon. They were completely silent when not transmitting or receiving, and displayed zero static, squelch, or feedback when transmitting and receiving. The signal was very clean. Frankly, they were perfect for both vehicle-to-vehicle and spotter-to-driver communication on the trail. And after wheeling for 4-1/2 hours, the battery meters on both handhelds had not dropped a single bar.

FWIW, these were recommended to me by a good friend and Jeep owner who has been into radios for over three decades, from CB to GMRS to licensed Ham operator. He uses them with his in-vehicle radio all the time, and as a real radio nerd, he would not have recommended them if he felt they were insufficient for my off-roading needs.

Needless to say, I am very pleased with the purchase. 👍

I concur.

Sponsored

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP
grayshadow

grayshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Those will do a good job for you.

Most people who are disappointed are disapointed because the radio won't reach out 50 miles or 20 miles etc.... like the packaging says. They would go that far if you were on a tower or a mountain and had a clear view to the other person using the same frequency. Line of sight.
The radio frequency is the limiting factor not the radio. If not in line of sight you will reduce the range. The radios will go through buildings and between floors but that too reduces the range.
The weaker power FRS radios will penetrate less floors than the more power allowed on GRMS radios.

If you have a mix of rolling hills, forest, canyons etc...your range will be reduced with all consumer handheld radios. If in Moab canyonland you won'y talk to anyone in the next canyon. If on a ski mountain you may talk from summit to lodge. Midland and Motorola are both good brands.
Thanks, that was the feedback you and @Razorbak86 provided I was looking for. I think they will provide us with our needs as we begin our offroad journeys and since we will be traveling full time in an RV beginning in March it offers NOAA weather alerts. Thanks again and Happy New Year
Sponsored