Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Dave, the speakers are great and you have the option to run one or both. Very nice in noisy environments. At longer ranges and higher power, I think the whip would perform better.
Thank you Craig. Will get one ordered. Merry Christmas!!
Sponsored

Dom

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Expedition, 2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I was wonering how the ghost antenna would fare. I'm glad SWR is good.

OP
OP
0321_Bronco

0321_Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Raptor, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Dom

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Expedition, 2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

What if I occasionally off road and want to try and get by with hand held GMRS what would you recommend?? Would hand held units work OK for a small ground of 3-5 Broncos? The few times I have been with a group someone has always let us use hand held and they seem fine.

Please educate me?
@F150rubyred I needed 3 radios for a road trip so I ordered 2 seta of 2 radios. I only really need two moving forward and was planning on selling the remaining 2. One has never been used, the other used for one trip. I was wanting to sell them for $60 shipped. Interested? DM me if so.

walkie pic2.jpg

walkie pic1.jpg

OP
OP
0321_Bronco

0321_Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

From the Midland site:

Ford Bronco Midland MXT575 GMRS 2-Way Radio Install & Photos *SWR Report* walkie pic1
I think that's consistent with the advice here. Better you should measure it and find out for yourself. Working with the coax and a meter will yield the best results. That said, will it matter for general GMRS use, probably not.

Sponsored
OP
OP
0321_Bronco

0321_Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

One more question. How do I use this meter to get the most out of my GMRS? I have the MTX275 in the console and the 32 inch antenna mounted in the rear.
I'll send you a message.

OP
OP
0321_Bronco

0321_Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Because they also operate outside of GMRS bands they are not permitted to transmit on GMRS frequencies per the FCC. I believe the FCC does allow them to be used for listening on those channels though.
That is correct. GMRS (transmissions) require the license while FRS does not. Radio certifications by the FCC are relative to transmissions in a given frequency band(s).

Johnny Rebel

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2D Big Bend, 2022 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
'm a little fussier about 2M/70cm antennas. I'm going to start with a COMPACtenna 2M/220/440 on the passenger side ditch light bracket - but I'm not optimistic.
Let me start by saying that I’m not an expert radio tech and have very limited experience, but I understand the basic idea that an SWR <1.5 is generally considered good.

I installed a Yaesu FTM-400 in my Bronco a couple of weeks ago and also had high hopes for the CompacTenna 2M/440, but was really disappointed. SWR was something like 2.6-3.0 on both bands. Removed it and put a Comet SBB1 NMO dual band antenna on the same setup and was getting between 1.3-1.5. Both of those readings were taken with a Rig Expert Stick Pro analyzer, so I think it was a pretty accurate representation.

I’m actually re-wiring a few things tonight including the NMO mount for the radio, so will repeat the tests with both antennas to make sure it wasn’t a fluke.

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Let me start by saying that I’m not an expert radio tech and have very limited experience, but I understand the basic idea that an SWR <1.5 is generally considered good.

I installed a Yaesu FTM-400 in my Bronco a couple of weeks ago and also had high hopes for the CompacTenna 2M/440, but was really disappointed. SWR was something like 2.6-3.0 on both bands. Removed it and put a Comet SBB1 NMO dual band antenna on the same setup and was getting between 1.3-1.5. Both of those readings were taken with a Rig Expert Stick Pro analyzer, so I think it was a pretty accurate representation.

I’m actually re-wiring a few things tonight including the NMO mount for the radio, so will repeat the tests with both antennas to make sure it wasn’t a fluke.
Thanks for that, so my plan to use the compactenna around town and put the long on for adventure remains solid!

Johnny Rebel

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2D Big Bend, 2022 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Thanks for that, so my plan to use the compactenna around town and put the long on for adventure remains solid!
I think it’s a solid plan. I also just got the PCI Race Radios non-ground plane VHF whip in the mail, but haven’t had a chance to test it yet.

After a quick temp install to make sure I liked the radio & head unit placement, I’m now going back to do the permanent install. I just got the M2M mounting plate a couple of days ago, but based on how the OP’s 575 sits, I may end up leaving the FTM-400 on the plate I cobbled together from scrap. It’s in the same spot as OP’s, but I didn’t have to cut the glove box due to the way I mounted the plate. I’ll toy around with the M2M plate and see what ends up working best.

I also decided to install NMO mounts on both front pillars with the ditch lights to give me the option of running a dedicated antenna for each band through a duplexer. Not sure if that’s a good idea, but it gives me something to tinker around with.

Sponsored
OP
OP
0321_Bronco

0321_Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Youd want handhelds like this. Technically they are FRS 5watt radios but you can talk to the GMRS radios on the lower channels which is a big benefit.

Midland 50 Channel Waterproof GMRS Two-Way Radio - Long Range Walkie Talkie with 142 Privacy Codes, SOS Siren, and NOAA Weather Alerts and Weather Scan (Black/Silver, Pair Pack) https://a.co/d/0pAsA6q
Guys, FRS is limited to 2W. Under the old rules it was 500 milliwats. There are no 5W FRS radios unless you modify a HAM or GMRS radio which is a bad idea.

OP
OP
0321_Bronco

0321_Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Hope this clears up some confusion on power/frequency/bands:

Ford Bronco Midland MXT575 GMRS 2-Way Radio Install & Photos *SWR Report* old-and-new-channels-MJS

Power limits are pretty straight forward.

F150rubyred

Black Diamond
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2013 Lexus GX460, 2014 Mustang GT,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
@F150rubyred I needed 3 radios for a road trip so I ordered 2 seta of 2 radios. I only really need two moving forward and was planning on selling the remaining 2. One has never been used, the other used for one trip. I was wanting to sell them for $60 shipped. Interested? DM me if so.

Ford Bronco Midland MXT575 GMRS 2-Way Radio Install & Photos *SWR Report* old-and-new-channels-MJS

Thanks for the offer, let me think about it not sure what direction I am going yet. I want to have something for first week of May for Moab trip.

Reactions: Dom

Gnomad

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2 dr, 7MT EG
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I would take a slighter higher SWR over the small radiating element of that stubby antenna. A dummy load has perfect 1:1 after all.
Nice install and I've been wondering about GMRS. I have an extra ticket but nobody else in my circle of friends do so it might be a thing anyways. I guess I should check the FCC website, I had heard the cost was going up to $75 from the $30 and now when I renew my ticket they are going to charge me. Haven't actually checked for myself though.

ksdon

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
IMHO a person can find GMRS and HAM ... specifically 2 meter and 70 cm fun and useful.
I know I'm repeating stuff available in other posts but on recent trips traveling by ourselves GRMS was dead. We could however reach 2-3 Ham repeaters everywhere we were.

If traveling with a group GRMS is a very easy and friendly way to go and it is growing at a faster rate than Ham radio is. So go get that GRMS.
Sponsored