Gabriella
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Bronco, 16 Tiger 800XCx, 96 Duc 900SS/Sp
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm just curious if Broncos have navigation that's actual GPS (satellite receiver), not radio (cell tower, i.e. Android Auto/Google Maps, Waze). There was talk about trail riding GPS maps, but I guess I don't remember anyone saying they have navigation like my wife's 1-ton with the 5 year free updates
There's a GPS antenna in the truck, so I'd assume it was GPS-capable at the computer. But I also thought Ford wouldn't have this much trouble locking down the screen options.
Sponsored

Schwaggle

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 350 Tremor, 2002 Excursion 7.3L
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Maybe the 12" module has the storage capacity for the maps, where for some reason the 8" does not. Another possibility is that when the antenna pings the network with it's VIN, Ford's OTA update database doen't show the VIN should have GPS/maps installed, so it will never have maps without a USB installation. It almost makes sense where manufacturers want their fingers in their vehicle's pies, that they could easily control modifications like this, or force higher tier sales. Maybe I'm paranoid lol

Haelous

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Just as a data point: I have a 12" with nav delete. There was a big batch of Broncos like mine I think.

Gabby

Base
First Name
Gabriella
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Maybe the 12" module has the storage capacity for the maps, where for some reason the 8" does not. Another possibility is that when the antenna pings the network with it's VIN, Ford's OTA update database doen't show the VIN should have GPS/maps installed, so it will never have maps without a USB installation. It almost makes sense where manufacturers want their fingers in their vehicle's pies, that they could easily control modifications like this, or force higher tier sales. Maybe I'm paranoid lol

Probably a little of both plus the fact that automotive manufacturers seem to be a decade behind motorcycle manufacturers.

Plus there is a movement towards removing right to repair. John Deere is the current forerunner in denying access to repairablity.

Schwaggle

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Just as a data point: I have a 12" with nav delete. There was a big batch of Broncos like mine I think.
Interesting, but I don't think that "delete" was even an option when mine was ordered/built; I did not take that into account... Mine, is a basesquatch, so I figured with the SiriusXM360, and the whole Sasquatch package, that maps would have been available, if not a part of the package. I'm not really concerned, beyond the fact that when I get my warranty screen in, will it (the 12" module) have nav? Does the updated 8" module I was initially given, have nav? I will not have my Bronco tomorrow, but some day this week I hope to have the time to rip the dash again for that updated module and see what happens. Slightly tempted to program in my wife's 350 VIN into the module and see what it does once it pings the network lol. That brings me to another case-in-point; if a non-nav vehicle has their APIM VIN reprogrammed to a nav VIN, will it download the maps? Hmmm...

Thanks for the info on the nav-delete! Obviously I think too much

Sponsored

Schwaggle

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Minor update; I finally found the time to do the module swap for my 8" screen. The module I was given is a reflashed module, but had the original VIN on it... so I did my due diligence and logged in to Ford and found that the original module had Navigation on it... So, I guess I will see if the module gives me nav. I may flash it through FDRS and get the original VIN software, because this module HAD nav on it. So I may also be able to answer the question of antenna replacement to add nav, or module. Maybe both, with how the 12" screen is going lol

Rspayde

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 C/O Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If anyone asks mine is def 12 inches in the mid package and I made sure to measure from the base.

Schwaggle

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Nupe. No difference between the modules. The one I thought was the replacement turned out to be the 12" module, but the replacement module shows no signs of improvement over the factory one. I'm going to keep the replacement one in there for now. It's been several months, so I figure I'll call on it tomorrow and see WTF, since the dash is still torn apart lol

Schwaggle

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So, I spent the $50 and rented FDRS access (I have a pass-through device so not something you can just do without buying hardware); good news, odd news, and bad news.
Good news: FDRS allows you to update many modules that you would never know gave an update, and doubtful the dealer would touch them unless you ASK them to update any modules.
Odd news: my Bronco had about 6 modules needing to be reprogrammed... However, the "front audio controller" on mine failed to update, no matter how many times I set it to a new module and forced an OEM update... Still won't update; odd. I also have the JBL soundbar, and maybe that is blocking the uodate, but when it asks if "are you here for the JBL bar," I tried both yes and no; failed both times.
Bad news: I programmed all 3 modules, except the 12" failed, and I'll explain that later. In Ford Service, it showed all 3 modules, and recognized all 3 replacements; but there is no way that I know of to update the module, because FDRS only programs to OEM, and mine is low level option. I'll write a little later to expand on the "Bad news" section.

Schwaggle

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Okay... now on the PC I can send this snap. As you can see, all 3 modules have populated and shown they have been programmed in FDRS. My problem as seen below, is in the description based off of the version, based off of the calibration, CIP, and VIP. This means all the OTA updates will reference my VIN against the as-built, no matter which module is installed. The only possible way around this that seems feasible, is having the module flashed for my VIN that indicates it is supposed to be a higher tier, which would mean potentially maps. I played with my SYNC flashdrive after backing up all of my as-built flash info, and changed a few numbers. If I can get it to install and produce a higher tier calibration, it may OTA update against that. I highly doubt it'll work, but only one way to find out. Basically I'm just effing around while I wait on my screen. The guy who's handling my warranty claim always seems to be out until next week... if they want me to quit bothering them, maybe get me my screen.

The 12" screen module wouldn't take, quite possibly because I didn't have a screen to view. When I had it plugged in to FDRS and prepped the module to be swapped, a lot of the applications were blank; very possible that it was a blank module; equally possible is that FDRS had not yet updated FORD's database.

Ford Bronco Might be possible to upgrade 8" infotainment screen to 12" 1676658488375

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Okay... now on the PC I can send this snap. As you can see, all 3 modules have populated and shown they have been programmed in FDRS. My problem as seen below, is in the description based off of the version, based off of the calibration, CIP, and VIP. This means all the OTA updates will reference my VIN against the as-built, no matter which module is installed. The only possible way around this that seems feasible, is having the module flashed for my VIN that indicates it is supposed to be a higher tier, which would mean potentially maps. I played with my SYNC flashdrive after backing up all of my as-built flash info, and changed a few numbers. If I can get it to install and produce a higher tier calibration, it may OTA update against that. I highly doubt it'll work, but only one way to find out. Basically I'm just effing around while I wait on my screen. The guy who's handling my warranty claim always seems to be out until next week... if they want me to quit bothering them, maybe get me my screen.

The 12" screen module wouldn't take, quite possibly because I didn't have a screen to view. When I had it plugged in to FDRS and prepped the module to be swapped, a lot of the applications were blank; very possible that it was a blank module; equally possible is that FDRS had not yet updated FORD's database.

Ford Bronco Might be possible to upgrade 8" infotainment screen to 12" 1676658488375
use Forscan to change the BCM to a VIN that has the 12" screen, unplug the PCM. Fire up FDRS and manually enter the VIN to match the one you programmed into the BCM. The VIN is CASE SENSITIVE. Program the module that has not been programmed yet. Reprogram the BCM to the factory VIN with FORSCAN, plug in the PCM, and clear all the codes with FORSCAN.

See the process under the HOSS 3.0 steering rack thread.

Schwaggle

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Shame... I entered another VIN manually, downloaded the module programming bit, and as soon as I plugged my Bronco in, it identified it for who it was. I was so close! I'll have to check that thread, but at least I was on the right track without knowing it. It's too bad entering another VIN into Forscan for the radio module doesn't trigger OTA updates with maps. Thanks for the info; another $50, some other weekend in the future

Schwaggle

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

@BigMeatsBronco & @Ducati1098 have also been very helpful, with a confirmed proof of concept for the Hoss 3.0 upgrade, as basically outlined above by @mpeugeot so a huge shout out to this trio, huge assets to this forum! I need to resubscribe FDRS to test it out, though

Gabby

Base
First Name
Gabriella
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So, just to be clear, IOT use a different screen size, we need to get a corresponding module, and that module needs to be programmed to the VIN of the truck IOT function & output to the screen + get OTA updates?

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
@BigMeatsBronco & @Ducati1098 have also been very helpful, with a confirmed proof of concept for the Hoss 3.0 upgrade, as basically outlined above by @mpeugeot so a huge shout out to this trio, huge assets to this forum! I need to resubscribe FDRS to test it out, though
Why do you think that I got the one year subscription, I know myself... LOL 😂. I will get my money out of it. If you were out here, I would probably be helping you with this.
Sponsored