First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So, just to be clear, IOT use a different screen size, we need to get a corresponding module, and that module needs to be programmed to the VIN of the truck IOT function & output to the screen + get OTA updates?
The modules tend to come from Ford without any firmware loaded up.
Sponsored

Schwaggle

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 350 Tremor, 2002 Excursion 7.3L
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

That's why I instantly paid the lifetime for Forscan; but damn if FDRS isn't expensive! Worth it, but that's a lot of pennies! I'm still coasting off of my last company's creds for FordService, but I have a couple of guys who hit me up for transmission and electrical questions; the price they pay lol.
I play with this stuff recreationally; sadly we only have a couple of Ford trucks at work (that ever came with a computer), so I can't justify my boss paying for FDRS

Schwaggle

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The modules tend to come from Ford without any firmware loaded up.
Until the proof of concept with a working 12" screen, we can not guarantee anything. However, I CAN tell you for this at a minimum is the dash, screen, module, and 6-wire cable. My FDRS ran out Friday, so I will need to resubscribe to see about reprogramming a base 8" module to a higher tier. When it comes to the OTA updates, that has yet to be identified. When I (or anyone else up to this challenge) figure out how to upgrade the programming, the radio identity (low tier vs premium) in FordService should change and hopefully "ask" Ford's servers for the installed version. If the module goes back to base/low tier, then OTA updates must be based off of the VIN or the modem.

Gabby

Base
First Name
Gabriella
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Bronco, 16 Tiger 800XCx, 96 Duc 900SS/Sp
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Until the proof of concept with a working 12" screen, we can not guarantee anything. However, I CAN tell you for this at a minimum is the dash, screen, module, and 6-wire cable. My FDRS ran out Friday, so I will need to resubscribe to see about reprogramming a base 8" module to a higher tier. When it comes to the OTA updates, that has yet to be identified. When I (or anyone else up to this challenge) figure out how to upgrade the programming, the radio identity (low tier vs premium) in FordService should change and hopefully "ask" Ford's servers for the installed version. If the module goes back to base/low tier, then OTA updates must be based off of the VIN or the modem.
I'm probably one of the few that don't want to add front cameras, navigation or 360-degree views. I just want a larger screen, and honestly if the price difference wasn't so small I'd look at a 10"

Schwaggle

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm probably one of the few that don't want to add front cameras, navigation or 360-degree views. I just want a larger screen, and honestly if the price difference wasn't so small I'd look at a 10"
Me neither; my Bronco came with windows. I just look through them and can see what I need. I just figure I can't do anything with the 12" screen at the moment, so "let's see if I can get nav on mine." What other fun things can I do with FDRS and my brand new pass-through 4? That's kinda where I'm at; just trying to still be helpful. If not later tonight, tomorrow I remembered that I was going to print out the radio module pin-outs to make sure they are the same, but I know for a fact I have power and ground going to and from the 12" screen power pins (that the 8" does not have). Either the pins are different, my module is indeed blank (which should not cause a blank screen if the other 8" module I put in the screen worked), or my 12" screen is defective.

Sponsored

Gabby

Base
First Name
Gabriella
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Me neither; my Bronco came with windows. I just look through them and can see what I need. I just figure I can't do anything with the 12" screen at the moment, so "let's see if I can get nav on mine." What other fun things can I do with FDRS and my brand new pass-through 4? That's kinda where I'm at; just trying to still be helpful. If not later tonight, tomorrow I remembered that I was going to print out the radio module pin-outs to make sure they are the same, but I know for a fact I have power and ground going to and from the 12" screen power pins (that the 8" does not have). Either the pins are different, my module is indeed blank (which should not cause a blank screen if the other 8" module I put in the screen worked), or my 12" screen is defective.

I wish I had the time and resources to play around with this! I love doing these types of mods and exploring

Schwaggle

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I wish I had the time and resources to play around with this! I love doing these types of mods and exploring
I'm not completely convinced the tool debt is worth it, but it pays dividends when you need them. Just keep in mind that just because you don't have the time to do it, reading what others have done, success or fail, you can learn a ton of info from these forums.

Schwaggle

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

By the way, anyone wondering what a pass-through 4 is, it is a cable with adapter to connect computer to vehicle. Forscan, I use a bluetooth adapter, which will NOT work to program modules. If you aren't 100% sure you have a cable that will talk to your vehicle, ask someone before you potentially waste $50 on FDRS. The people programming modules on here, know where to start looking to help you. You may see them for around $200; DO NOT BUY A CHINESE KNOCKOFF! REAL ones will be far more than $200

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
By the way, anyone wondering what a pass-through 4 is, it is a cable with adapter to connect computer to vehicle. Forscan, I use a bluetooth adapter, which will NOT work to program modules. If you aren't 100% sure you have a cable that will talk to your vehicle, ask someone before you potentially waste $50 on FDRS. The people programming modules on here, know where to start looking to help you. You may see them for around $200; DO NOT BUY A CHINESE KNOCKOFF! REAL ones will be far more than $200
I have a $120 J2534 Chinese knock off, and it works perfectly, so respectfully, I disagree. I have used it on multiple Broncos.

Schwaggle

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I've only heard stories... Would you mind sharing the one that works for you?

This is the one I bought a couple years ago, never knowing if I'd ever find a use for it. I paid between a grand and $1300 for it new off the tool truck. Nobody here needs to spend this much money on one lol
https://www.snapon.com/EN/US/Diagnostics/Products/Pass-Thru-Pro-IV

Last edited:

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I've only heard stories... Would you mind sharing the one that works for you?

This is the one I bought a couple years ago, never knowing if I'd ever find a use for it. I paid between a grand and $1300 for it new off the tool truck. Nobody here needs to spend this much money on one lol
https://www.snapon.com/EN/US/Diagnostics/Products/Pass-Thru-Pro-IV
Here is the one that I am using. Some people said that the driver triggered their Virus software, I have not seen any issues or unusual activity. Then again, maybe they didn't purchase the same adapter as I did.

VXDIAG VCX Nano
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EFWPAN0

Schwaggle

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I like that one! I guess the only thing I like more about mine is the extensive length of cabling- I park my truck in the garage and run the cord to my computer right inside the house. That's only important for me because my laptop isn't just a potato, I'm sure it was part of the potato famine it's so old... but I only paid 10 times what the Nano costs lol. It WAS off the tool truck.

I'll have to share that link with a few of my friends. Thanks @mpeugeot!

Gabby

Base
First Name
Gabriella
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

@Schwaggle does Ford know how much we have riding on your warranty screen?

Also, I hope you're enjoying the March snow. Thank you for sharing it with us out in Milwaukee.

Schwaggle

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

@Schwaggle does Ford know how much we have riding on your warranty screen?

Also, I hope you're enjoying the March snow. Thank you for sharing it with us out in Milwaukee.
We're more than happy to share what snow we can; I think Duluth is well over 100" already.

Still nada on the screen, but I intend to try again tomorrow. I took the wife's truck down to NM to grab my brother's '66 Muskrat,
Ford Bronco Might be possible to upgrade 8" infotainment screen to 12" PXL_20230305_163527365
and made it all the way back without incident (saying a lot since the last 2hrs was in heavy snow and crap roads). All the way to the driveway and up to our garage to swing it and park the trailer off to the side, aaaaannnd slid down the driveway to where the driveway splits, and jackknifed the truck and trailer,
Ford Bronco Might be possible to upgrade 8" infotainment screen to 12" 43598
so it's waiting on a bumper lol... Which means wifey get the Bronco. So, when I get it back maybe I'll have the screen.