First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I actually got underneath just a moment ago with a tape measure. I show the K supports for the transmission crossmember at 10" above my garage floor.

The skid plates are at 11" from the garage floor. The transmission crossmember itself, with the exception of the K legs on it, sits at 11". The skid plates have a couple of minor rub marks on them, not even enough to scratch off the paint.

Which goes back to my original thought that one inch of clearance is all I needed... If I can relocate those two K legs, I think that solves that problem.
35s will give you an extra 1” of clearance…
Sponsored

OP
OP
ChrisD

ChrisD

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2021 Lincoln Corsair
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

35s will give you an extra 1” of clearance…
Funny you should say that! I have a tire appointment tomorrow afternoon! Haha! Insane minds and all. You'd think I'd learn - I swapped out the wheels and tires on my 2016 JK with about 500 miles on them. The ones on this Bronco lasted longer, 1100 miles now.

COHorn

Badlands
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4D Badlands, SAS, Lux, 2.7L, 10 spd, Tow
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I actually got underneath just a moment ago with a tape measure. I show the K supports for the transmission crossmember at 10" above my garage floor.

The skid plates are at 11" from the garage floor. The transmission crossmember itself, with the exception of the K legs on it, sits at 11". The skid plates have a couple of minor rub marks on them, not even enough to scratch off the paint.

Which goes back to my original thought that one inch of clearance is all I needed... If I can relocate those two K legs, I think that solves that problem.
Chris, what did you end up doing (if anything) for your low, scraped K legs? How do things look on your rig a year on? A buddy of mine scraped his transmission crossmember K leg support pretty good this past weekend (see pic) and I'm a little worried about doing the same to mine. Like you said, poor design having it 1" lower than the rest of the undercarriage/bash plates.

Scraped K Support.jpg

OP
OP
ChrisD

ChrisD

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2021 Lincoln Corsair
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Chris, what did you end up doing (if anything) for your low, scraped K legs? How do things look on your rig a year on? A buddy of mine scraped his transmission crossmember K leg support pretty good this past weekend (see pic) and I'm a little worried about doing the same to mine. Like you said, poor design having it 1" lower than the rest of the undercarriage/bash plates.

Ford Bronco Miller Hill / Mineral Basin UT trip in my Badlands Scraped K Support
Hi!

Nothing, so far. They've been pretty okay and look pretty much the same. Even with the road salt from last winter, they haven't really deteriorated further, so until they really become a problem, I'm just visually inspecting them periodically. I was under there on Sunday and they looked pretty much the same.

I did put a leveling kit and some bigger tires on, so they're up a bit higher than before, but I suspect one day, the aftermarket will come up with something...

For now, I checked in with Ferd and they can't be acquired separately from the frame as far as I can tell, so they're ridiculously expensive to replace. This sort of damage is common enough that I suspect by the time it really becomes a problem, there'll be a drop-in replacement...
Sponsored