Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2021 Lincoln Corsair
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I joined with a local offroad club, Wasatch Outlaw Wheelers, on Saturday for a trip up to Miller Hill and MIneral Basin.

It was mostly rocks, rocks and more rocks. When there weren't enough rocks, there were more rocks. Everyone was curious about the Bronco going up. For most, it was the first one they'd seen. They're pretty scarce still.

A few notes:

1 pedal drive will get the brakes really hot. I much prefer to put it in M , set it to 1st gear, and just roll along until an obstacle. It seemed really happy that way.

I think I'd have cleared things a lot better with the leveling kit. I'm definitely on board with getting it up a bit higher and I regret not ordering Sasquatch.

The vehicle is capable. The only times I failed to clear an obstacle was because I high centered. One or two more inches of ground clearance would have likely been plenty.

I now know exactly what hangs up on the Bronco as you're going over obstacles. I have photos to prove it! Also my embarrassing video of getting high centered!

The rock rails did okay. Frame mounted ones would be better, but the stock ones worked.

Ford Bronco Miller Hill / Mineral Basin UT trip in my Badlands IMG_1805

Ford Bronco Miller Hill / Mineral Basin UT trip in my Badlands IMG_1811

Ford Bronco Miller Hill / Mineral Basin UT trip in my Badlands IMG_1822

Ford Bronco Miller Hill / Mineral Basin UT trip in my Badlands IMG_1834

Ford Bronco Miller Hill / Mineral Basin UT trip in my Badlands IMG_1838

Ford Bronco Miller Hill / Mineral Basin UT trip in my Badlands IMG_1839

Ford Bronco Miller Hill / Mineral Basin UT trip in my Badlands IMG_1840

Ford Bronco Miller Hill / Mineral Basin UT trip in my Badlands IMG_1841

Sponsored

Werkedperformance

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 4dr 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

BroncoJay

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I joined with a local offroad club, Wasatch Outlaw Wheelers, on Saturday for a trip up to Miller Hill and MIneral Basin.

It was mostly rocks, rocks and more rocks. When there weren't enough rocks, there were more rocks. Everyone was curious about the Bronco going up. For most, it was the first one they'd seen. They're pretty scarce still.

A few notes:

1 pedal drive will get the brakes really hot. I much prefer to put it in M , set it to 1st gear, and just roll along until an obstacle. It seemed really happy that way.

I think I'd have cleared things a lot better with the leveling kit. I'm definitely on board with getting it up a bit higher and I regret not ordering Sasquatch.

The vehicle is capable. The only times I failed to clear an obstacle was because I high centered. One or two more inches of ground clearance would have likely been plenty.

I now know exactly what hangs up on the Bronco as you're going over obstacles. I have photos to prove it! Also my embarrassing video of getting high centered!

The rock rails did okay. Frame mounted ones would be better, but the stock ones worked.

Beautiful photos and u live in a beautiful state!

Sponsored
OP
OP
ChrisD

ChrisD

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is that the transfer case crossmember thats folded over?

Would the Foutz Motorsports SKid cover that area?

https://www.foutzmotorsports.com/collections/2021-ford-bronco-parts-and-accessories
Looks like it might cover it - those are supports forward of the transfer case but behind the transmission oil pan. They're not damaged that badly (yet) and look fairly durable, but I'd like to avoid banging around on them more than necessary. Something replaceable to protect them would be preferable.

That looks like a nice piece of kit!

TheKim

Badlands
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm looking forward to some trails like this one! I'm in Utah as well, and will have to find some groups to join for this kind of thing.

Did y'all use handheld radios, or just yell out the windows at each other?

OP
OP
ChrisD

ChrisD

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m trying to make sense of some of those undercarriage pictures, was that a composite skid plate that got chewed through?
Mine's a Badlands, so I have the metal skid plates. Trying to use some other photos to give a better idea.

They're just forward of the crossmember that supports the transfer case. They are angled from the crossmember to the longitudinal frame rails, welded at one end and bolted at the other.

While clearly damaged, I don't think the damage impacts the vehicle, but I'd like to avoid further damaging them! The could be replaced, although it would have been simpler if they were bolted on both ends!

Ford Bronco Miller Hill / Mineral Basin UT trip in my Badlands DSC00120

Ford Bronco Miller Hill / Mineral Basin UT trip in my Badlands DSC00121

Ford Bronco Miller Hill / Mineral Basin UT trip in my Badlands DSC00122

Ford Bronco Miller Hill / Mineral Basin UT trip in my Badlands DSC00123

Ford Bronco Miller Hill / Mineral Basin UT trip in my Badlands DSC00124

DSC00122.jpg

OP
OP
ChrisD

ChrisD

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm looking forward to some trails like this one! I'm in Utah as well, and will have to find some groups to join for this kind of thing.

Did y'all use handheld radios, or just yell out the windows at each other?
This group used CB and FRS, but mostly CB. That was pretty easy since I have a nice handheld CB I used with my group in WA. :)

Werkedperformance

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 4dr 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks like it might cover it - those are supports forward of the transfer case but behind the transmission oil pan. They're not damaged that badly (yet) and look fairly durable, but I'd like to avoid banging around on them more than necessary. Something replaceable to protect them would be preferable.

That looks like a nice piece of kit!
This shot makes me think yes.....

skid.png

Sponsored
OP
OP
ChrisD

ChrisD

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This shot makes me think yes.....

Ford Bronco Miller Hill / Mineral Basin UT trip in my Badlands skid
Yeah, after crawling around underneath with a camera and light again, I'm positive it would cover them nicely! Haha, this Bronco is going to cost me an arm and a leg when it's all over!!! 🙃

Werkedperformance

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 4dr 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah, after crawling around underneath with a camera and light again, I'm positive it would cover them nicely! Haha, this Bronco is going to cost me an arm and a leg when it's all over!!! 🙃
My last build was a $700 dollar Toyota, it ended up cashing in at about $25K in parts with me doing all the labor, over ten years. Still miss the truck, shes out there somewhere. Compound turbo Cummins Extra Cab Toyota Pickup

BroncoStorm

Badlands
First Name
Storm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A few notes:

Thanks for your detail and candor around wheeling the stock 4door BL. I myself struggle with getting SAS or not, I think this just made up my mind to go FOR squatch.

Skdmarc

Outer Banks
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Pay you don't live ever they use a lot of salt on the roads looks like your frame will last about 2 years

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I couldn't find that many rocks in a decade here in MI! I haven't run into clearance issues to the same extent, but I wouldn't discourage anyone running rocks to go SQ. The trade off's are pretty minor and the off-road ability is definitely upped a few notches.
Sponsored