Myke98

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Knowing that I will always be out with a group, what would be the necessary items to have in my recovery kit knowing that I will have most everything available with our group that goes out every other weekend? I may go with them a 5 or 6 times a year. This will be in SoCal so I don't need anything mud related.

Also what is a good economical bag to carry?

So far I have:

3 D-rings
Receiver d-ring adapter
Air hose and fill gauge for my onboard compressor
Air down gauge
Spare tie-rod end
Sponsored

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
F450, Jeep XJ, Porsche 911, 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Knowing that I will always be out with a group, what would be the necessary items to have in my recovery kit knowing that I will have most everything available with our group that goes out every other weekend? I may go with them a 5 or 6 times a year. This will be in SoCal so I don't need anything mud related.

So far I have:

3 D-rings
Receiver d-ring adapter
Air down gauge
Spare tie-rod end
You have rear tow points, don't you? Then you wouldn't need the receiver adapter. A D ring for the front is all you'd likely need. We've all gone to soft shackles, more versatile and much safer than the metal D rings. A tow strap and a short tree saver strap so you have your own. Any tool bag from Harbor Freight or Home Depot will work fine to put the stuff in. I'd include a tire plug kit. I know you have a spare, and your friends likely carry plug kits, but you never know when you might be out by yourself and a plug kit is cheap insurance.

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

So far I have:

3 D-rings
Receiver d-ring adapter
Air down gauge
Spare tie-rod end
Recovery boards and a strap.

WheelMe

Badlands
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't like to depend on others on the trail, so other than the above mentioned, I bring a small set of hand tools: ratchets, sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers, steel-wire, rubber/steel mallet, breaker bar, duct/electrical tape, etc.

Also, can you change your own tires? If you're lifted, you'll need a Hi-Lift, which fits neatly on the trunk floor (diagonally) of a 4D.

Lastly, be sure to have a proper first-aid kit.

Sponsored

Sewie

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
74 Bronco, 22 Bronco BL Sas 4D
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seeing posts about people bending the rear crossmember when towing/backing into things, I would be hesitant to use a receiver adapter for recovery on the Bronco. If you're worried about pulling dead center you can make a bridle with a tree strap between the rear recovery loops.

Others have listed the basics:
Kinetic strap/rope (not a cheap tow strap with metal hooks)
Tree saver strap
Soft shackles preferably, if you have 3/4" D-rings, they'll work, just check their rating
shovel if you'll go in sand (likely in SoCal)
Basic tools to change things like tie-rods, remove bash plates, etc.
Good pair of gloves!

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd include a tire plug kit.
be sure to have a proper first-aid kit.
^^^^ golden suggestions right there.

I have a pair or two of decent leather gloves, primarily for if I have to handle a wire winch cable.

Other than that, the usual stuff.
a pretty decent tool/socket/wrench kit.
tow strap
tree strap
d-ring/shackles/clevis

OP
OP
Myke98

Myke98

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Great suggestions and stuff I did not think of. Thanks for the replies!

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You have rear tow points, don't you? Then you wouldn't need the receiver adapter. A D ring for the front is all you'd likely need. We've all gone to soft shackles, more versatile and much safer than the metal D rings. A tow strap and a short tree saver strap so you have your own. Any tool bag from Harbor Freight or Home Depot will work fine to put the stuff in. I'd include a tire plug kit. I know you have a spare, and your friends likely carry plug kits, but you never know when you might be out by yourself and a plug kit is cheap insurance.
From what I have seen of the tow hitch frame bending issues, I think the tow points would be stronger as well, as they are linear instead of a cross plane load.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't like to depend on others on the trail, so other than the above mentioned, I bring a small set of hand tools: ratchets, sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers, steel-wire, rubber/steel mallet, breaker bar, duct/electrical tape, etc.
Good suggestions. (y)
Also, can you change your own tires? If you're lifted, you'll need a Hi-Lift, which fits neatly on the trunk floor (diagonally) of a 4D.
What lift points do you use on the Bronco with a Hi-Lift?

Sponsored

Sewie

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There aren't any that I'm aware of. Probably need the bumper lift and/or lift-mate attachments. Or some other way to hook to the wheel, under bumper, or to recovery points.

WheelMe

Badlands
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There aren't any that I'm aware of. Probably need the bumper lift and/or lift-mate attachments. Or some other way to hook to the wheel, under bumper, or to recovery points.
My past rigs had sliders (my jacking points) that bolted to the frame - not the case with the Bronco... but if the Bronco sliders are strong enough to ward off rocks (and they are), I wonder if they merit a "test"... anyway, topic for another thread.

Sewie

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My past rigs had sliders (my jacking points) that bolted to the frame - not the case with the Bronco... but if the Bronco sliders are strong enough to ward off rocks (and they are), I wonder if they merit a "test"... anyway, topic for another thread.
I don't think its the mounting that is the problem with the factory sliders, I think it is the angle. There just isn't enough to grab. My other trucks have had tubular sliders which would fit in the cradle of the hi-lift.

I have factory sliders and a hi-lift, so I guess I could test. Maybe take the doors off first. :oops:

SuperDave150

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150, Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Seeing posts about people bending the rear crossmember when towing/backing into things, I would be hesitant to use a receiver adapter for recovery on the Bronco. If you're worried about pulling dead center you can make a bridle with a tree strap between the rear recovery loops.

Others have listed the basics:
Kinetic strap/rope (not a cheap tow strap with metal hooks)
Tree saver strap
Soft shackles preferably, if you have 3/4" D-rings, they'll work, just check their rating
shovel if you'll go in sand (likely in SoCal)
Basic tools to change things like tie-rods, remove bash plates, etc.
Good pair of gloves!
I was going to add shovel. You beat me to it. 👍
(Folding army style)

Also consider what you would need to comfortably survive 24 hours in the backcountry.

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
F450, Jeep XJ, Porsche 911, 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good suggestions. (y)

Most of us haven't carried a high lift jack in a long time. A hydraulic jack or taller scissor jack under the axle will handle any tire change. A high lift comes in handy for more serious trail repairs. The last two times I was involved in using a high lift on the trail were to repair a broken rear leaf spring on an XJ, the Bronco doesn't have leaf springs. The other time was on a rock buggy that broke off an upper control arm bridge and the axle rotated. That one actually took two high lifts and three winch cables to stabilize the buggy. But, if two control arms break off of a Bronco, a welder would be needed as well as high lift jacks and winches.

Not saying don't carry a high lift, but kind of pointless to carry one for the purpose of changing a tire.
Sponsored