Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hello fellow Bronco owners!

I looking for some advice on choosing a cold air intake system for my '21 2.7L Badlands. I'm looking for a high quality product that will complement a Corsa Cat Back, Turn Down Exhaust and Ford Performance Tune. I've narrowed my choices down to the Mishimoto Performance Intake with an oiled filter or the aFe Momentum GT Intake System also with an oiled filter. Both seem well engineered and I'm struggling to make a decision between the 2. Fit, finish and improved sound are important to me as is increasing airflow and filtering effectiveness.

Any thoughts you have are most appreciated!
Sponsored

El Diablo

Badlands
First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tesla Model 3 and 2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have the Mishi CAI (with dry filter) as well as their intercooler (stock mount) and performance pipe kit. Quality, fit and finish is top notch for these products but can't really compare it to the aFe since I don't know much about that product. Coupled with an AWE cat back exhaust and a Panda Tune I would say I could never drive a stock 2.7L again. More pronounced sound (including the blow off valve) from under the hood at throttle. Improved responsiveness and acceleration despite the lame shift points. Overall very happy with the Mishimoto products.

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Performance wise they are the same. Both great brands so I'd go with cheapest one.

Gluestick

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5, Bronco Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have the Mishi CAI (with dry filter) as well as their intercooler (stock mount) and performance pipe kit. Quality, fit and finish is top notch for these products but can't really compare it to the aFe since I don't know much about that product. Coupled with an AWE cat back exhaust and a Panda Tune I would say I could never drive a stock 2.7L again. More pronounced sound (including the blow off valve) from under the hood at throttle. Improved responsiveness and acceleration despite the lame shift points. Overall very happy with the Mishimoto products.
Which blowoff valve?

El Diablo

Badlands
First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Which blowoff valve?
I did not change the BOV but the sound is just more pronounced now compared to stock due to the new charge pipes (Mishi Performance Pipe Kit). Apologize to the OP, I know this wasn't part of the his original question which was only regarding the Mishi vs aFe CAI.

Sponsored

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm interested in Mishi but how far past original airbox does it go? I replaced the PCM mount with the GRIMM ARB mount so If it goes up over the PCM like a few others it wouldn't fit.

LethalPerformance

Raptor
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 First Edtion 2.7L / 2020 Shelby GT500 CF
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Hi there!
Both Mishimoto and AFE will provide similar performance gains and both are reliable, well-tested brands. You really cannot go wrong with either one - hence why we offer both! Let us know if we can help you out, I believe we have both in stock but could confirm for you.

OP
OP
Eastmort

Eastmort

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thank you everyone for your feedback, much appreciated! I went ahead and ordered the Mishimoto intake, together with their oil catch can. Next project will be considering the charge pipes and intercooler.

FYI - I live in California (Crazy, I know!) and several vendors would not ship the air intake system here because it is not "CARB approved". I had to look it up.

El Diablo

Badlands
First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thank you everyone for your feedback, much appreciated! I went ahead and ordered the Mishimoto intake, together with their oil catch can. Next project will be considering the charge pipes and intercooler.

FYI - I live in California (Crazy, I know!) and several vendors would not ship the air intake system here because it is not "CARB approved". I had to look it up.
Ah yes that damn CARB. I recommend you save the stock air box and piping to swap back when the time comes to smog it a few years from now.

TakeNoGuff

Badlands
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Armada, Dodge Ram 2500 4x4, Soon Bronco BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ah yes that damn CARB. I recommend you save the stock air box and piping to swap back when the time comes to smog it a few years from now.
"a few years" it's every other year here. It's all about $$$.

Sponsored

El Diablo

Badlands
First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

91srpit

Black Diamond
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

TakeNoGuff

Badlands
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Armada, Dodge Ram 2500 4x4, Soon Bronco BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OP
OP
Eastmort

Eastmort

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've got the Corsa catback, with a Ford tune. I looked into the intake options and went with the Injen. Seems like it'll be the best option.
https://www.cjponyparts.com/injen-c...m_medium=Email&utm_campaign=OrderConfirmation
Thanks for the post, I was not familiar with the Injen product. Can I ask why you felt it "seems like it'll be the best option"?

I have not been able to figure out a good way to honestly compare the quality, sound and effectiveness of these intake products for the 2.7L. Lots of individual systems/review content on YouTube, but no direct comparisons.

I'ts likely that they all work similarly and I'm overthinking this decision. Wouldn't be the first time!
Sponsored