Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 KTM 1290R
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Hey guys!

Nick here from Mishimoto! We're beyond excited to kick off our development thread for our baffled oil catch can kit for the 2.7L Broncos! Huge shoutout to @schlava for loaning us his gorgeous Outer Banks Bronco so we could start with some hands-on R&D while our Broncos are still in production.

P1266537-scaled.jpg

We're no strangers to the EcoBoost here at Mishimoto, and are stoked to apply everything we've learned from all of the other applications to Ford's newest 2.7L EB powerplant. The addition of dual injection on these engines does, in theory, make them less susceptible to the dangers of blow-by, but from our experience through the years with a wide array of different engines and fueling methods, well:

5nvln6.jpeg

We'll have plenty more info to come VERY soon! Make sure that you stay tuned for more info on our upcoming catch can kit!

As always, don't hesitate to reach out with any questions that you might have!

-Nick
Looking forward to your catch-can kit.

Also, while your at it, how about getting some early measuring for an aftermarket inter-cooler and inter-cooler relocation kit. ;) 😁
Sponsored

tehjukebox

Black Diamond
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Ford Falcon
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hey guys!

Nick here from Mishimoto! We're beyond excited to kick off our development thread for our baffled oil catch can kit for the 2.7L Broncos! Huge shoutout to @schlava for loaning us his gorgeous Outer Banks Bronco so we could start with some hands-on R&D while our Broncos are still in production.

P1266537-scaled.jpg

We're no strangers to the EcoBoost here at Mishimoto, and are stoked to apply everything we've learned from all of the other applications to Ford's newest 2.7L EB powerplant. The addition of dual injection on these engines does, in theory, make them less susceptible to the dangers of blow-by, but from our experience through the years with a wide array of different engines and fueling methods, well:

5nvln6.jpeg

We'll have plenty more info to come VERY soon! Make sure that you stay tuned for more info on our upcoming catch can kit!

-Nick
will you have a kit for the 2.3L as well?

MrGreen55

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
toyota scion xb
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

P1266495-scaled.jpg

NLT_6183-scaled.jpg

Looks great . Hope the test run goes good. Will we need to change anything in the ECU if we get the catch can? Off Topic does your engineering team think a air compressor can fit under the hood of the 2.7 bronco?

FernieSanders

Badlands
First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi Q3, Bronco Badlands 4Dr NoSas MIC 2.7 CG High
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@Mishimoto I had considered buying the 2.7L kit for the F150. Would that kit not work on the Bronco?

Sponsored

Altitude

Badlands
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Grand Cherokee, 2008 Suzuki B-King
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm a firm believer in catch cans, and will definitely get one for my 2.7L Bronco. Even without the fear of carbon build up on the valves, the idea of the several quarts of oil being sucked through the intake over the years is a huge turn off. I have one on my normally aspirated Jeep and dump 1/2 quart of oil or so every oil change from my can. I believe it is well the worth the cost. Given the additional crank case pressure of a turbo charged engine, I think its a must.

Ontario Bronco Club

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, 2018 VW Golf, 2006 Subaru Legacy
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just bumping this up as a reminder to scroll back and check out the latest blog link!

-Nick
Will this be available for the 2.3L as well?

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That is why there is no need for the catch can anymore...
I think the 2.3 is single turbo and single injector per cylinder, while the 2.7 has the dual injectors per cylinder to prevent carbon deposit?

My 2016 F150 has the 2.7, and the dealer does an injector cleaning for $300+- every 50,000 miles. It seems like this item would be good for the 2.3 especially?!

LSBronco13

Wildtrak
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hey guys!

Ford Bronco Mishimoto's Bronco 2.7 Catch Can R&D Thread NLT_6183-scaled

Ford Bronco Mishimoto's Bronco 2.7 Catch Can R&D Thread NLT_6183-scaled

-Nick
Ford Bronco Mishimoto's Bronco 2.7 Catch Can R&D Thread joker-burn

Sponsored

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You guys make some great quality mods and I look forward to what you come out with for the Bronco, however this is just a moderately expensive solution looking for a problem.

Ford Bronco Mishimoto's Bronco 2.7 Catch Can R&D Thread joker-burn

I have to disagree here. First off I have a can/box in both my sports cars, one turbo and the other is a NA non-direct inject.
You would not believe the gunk that come out of the can on the turbo car. The NA car only catches a small amount of oil.

You definitely don't want ANY of what I catch running back into your intake system. Why would you? Are you forgetting about the performance benefits of not retarding the timing due to detonation? Or limiting the possibilities from engine damage from detonation?

Seeing is believing...

From Summit Racing
Engine Detonation

Definition & Description
Detonation is spontaneous combustion inside the cylinder AFTER the spark plug fires. It is similar to Pre-Ignition, but it is different.
During normal ignition, the spark plug fires just before the piston reaches TDC. The flame travels across the combustion chamber igniting the Air/Fuel Mixture. This causes a steady increase in cylinder pressure and forces the piston down on the Power Stroke.
When detonation happens, some of the air/fuel ignites before the normal burn can get to it. This causes a brief, but intense, spike in cylinder pressure.
Detonation is also called an "Engine Knock", "Knocking", or "Pinging" because of the sound it makes.
How is it indicated?
  • Knocking or pinging sound
  • Drop in Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT)
  • Broken piston rings and/or spark plugs
  • Damage to the piston and/or valves
What causes it?
Detonation can be caused by several factors. A few common causes are:
Over-Advanced Ignition Timing
If Ignition Timing is too far advanced, the spark plug fires too soon. This causes the flame to end early. The remaining fuel can detonate.
Lean Air/Fuel Mixture
A rich Air/Fuel Mixture runs cooler than a lean mixture. A lean mixture can get too hot and detonate.
Too Much Compression
Compression causes heat. If the air/fuel mixture is compressed too much, it can detonate.
Engine Overheating
Low coolant or a bad water pump can cause the engine to overheat. Too much heat can cause the air/fuel in the chamber to detonate.
Low Octane Fuel
Octane Rating is a measure of "knock resistance". Switching to higher grade fuel can help a knocking engine.
How does it affect performance?
An engine is designed to work in a specific way. Because detonation interrupts that design, it robs the engine of power.
Most engines can handle some minor detonation. Modern, fuel injected engines can sense a knock and adjust the Air/Fuel Ratioand Ignition Timing. However, if the detonation is not fixed, it will damage the engine. Just one major detonation event could cause significant damage.

HCGxKaLiBeR

Wildtrak
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi S4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have Mishimoto catch can on my Camaro SS. Definitely needed.
Every month I found milky oil inside of it (water vapor + oil)

However, not entirely sure 2.7 dual injection needed a catch can.
I use 93 fuel. Carbon build up won't be an issue for me.
It might prevent moisture but... I'm lazy. Not looking forward to service two cars.

krawl on

Badlands
First Name
PETE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Mustang supercharged
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ran 2 JLT "barf" cans on my 5.0 coyote pro-charged V-8. Passenger side will always have more "blow by" than driver side. Rather toss old residue than run through engine. Will buy for 2.7.

21BRONCO

Badlands
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Since Ford addressed it by adding port injection on the 2nd gen 2.7 EcoBoost engines. Fuel washing over the intake valves ensures excessive carbon build-up doesn’t occur. The 2.7 is no longer Direct injection....
That is why there is no need for the catch can anymore...
I remember a current Ford mechanic on this forum mentioned on one of the threads that the best mod you can do for you new bronco was a catch can.