John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey guys!

Nick here from Mishimoto! We're beyond excited to kick off our development thread for our baffled oil catch can kit for the 2.7L Broncos! Huge shoutout to @schlava for loaning us his gorgeous Outer Banks Bronco so we could start with some hands-on R&D while our Broncos are still in production.

P1266537-scaled.jpg

We're no strangers to the EcoBoost here at Mishimoto, and are stoked to apply everything we've learned from all of the other applications to Ford's newest 2.7L EB powerplant. The addition of dual injection on these engines does, in theory, make them less susceptible to the dangers of blow-by, but from our experience through the years with a wide array of different engines and fueling methods, well:

Ford Bronco Mishimoto's Bronco 2.7 Catch Can R&D Thread 5nvln6

We'll have plenty more info to come VERY soon! Make sure that you stay tuned for more info on our upcoming catch can kit!

As always, don't hesitate to reach out with any questions that you might have!

-Nick
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
BACK FROM PASTURE – 2021+ FORD BRONCO 2.7L BAFFLED OIL CATCH CAN R&D, PART 1 – CONCEPT AND PROTOTYPE

NLT_6209-scaled.jpg

Twenty-five years ago, Ford sent its Bronco moniker out to pasture. America’s demand shifted from capable off-roaders to monstrous SUVs leaving Ford’s purpose-built trailblazer in the dust. The Bronco has returned from the wild, however, and it’s more capable than ever, sporting Ford’s rock-solid 2.7L EcoBoost and a sprawling repertoire of Overlanding goodies. This feral machine might roll off the line with the equipment to tackle the wilderness, but that 2.7L Ecoboost is still carrying the same chronic illness that plagues every internal combustion engine – blow-by.
NLT_6177-scaled.jpg

Make sure that you hit that link above to get the full scoop!

As always, don't hesitate to reach out with any other questions that you might have!

-Nick

Last edited:

Tech Tim

Base
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Great news, looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

:cool:

codydb19

Big Bend
First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I see Jeff Goldblum “____ uh... finds a way” meme, I like Jeff Goldblum “____uh... finds a way” meme. Simple as that.

Looking forward to see what y’all come up with. Is the catch can needed? Probably not, but it’s a relatively inexpensive mod that can only potentially help prolong the life of my soon-to-be Bronco. If it ends up being wasted money... well I’ve spent more on cheap beer that only left me with a headache and beer farts.

Sponsored

1st4rd

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crosstrek, Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You guys make some great quality mods and I look forward to what you come out with for the Bronco, however this is just a moderately expensive solution looking for a problem.

Ford Bronco Mishimoto's Bronco 2.7 Catch Can R&D Thread 1632329424181

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I thought the catch can was not needed on the newer 2.7....
Dual injection reduced carbon buildup in the intake runners and on the intake values due to oil/blowby making its way back into the intake tract.

There are other downsides to that recycled blowby, like lowered octane and blowby gasses condensing and pooling in the intake.

So even if the port injection keeps the intake valves cleaner, there are still reasons to catch the blowby before it makes its way back into your intake.

I have the Ford Performance catch can on my Coyote, and over 3000 miles it caught about 3oz of junk that I'm glad didn't get into my intake.

Ford Bronco Mishimoto's Bronco 2.7 Catch Can R&D Thread 1632331669456

Ford Bronco Mishimoto's Bronco 2.7 Catch Can R&D Thread 1632331676127

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Dual injection reduced carbon buildup in the intake runners and on the intake values due to oil/blowby making its way back into the intake tract.

There are other downsides to that recycled blowby, like lowered octane and blowby gasses condensing and pooling in the intake.

So even if the port injection keeps the intake valves cleaner, there are still reasons to catch the blowby before it makes its way back into your intake.

I have the Ford Performance catch can on my Coyote, and over 3000 miles it caught about 3oz of junk that I'm glad didn't get into my intake.

1632331669456.png

1632331676127.png
Since Ford addressed it by adding port injection on the 2nd gen 2.7 EcoBoost engines. Fuel washing over the intake valves ensures excessive carbon build-up doesn’t occur. The 2.7 is no longer Direct injection....

VelocityBronco

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, F-150 FX4, Explorer Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Since Ford addressed it by adding port injection on the 2nd gen 2.7 EcoBoost engines. Fuel washing over the intake valves ensures excessive carbon build-up doesn’t occur. The 2.7 is no longer Direct injection....
The 2.7 is Dual Injection, It does Port Injection and Direct Injection.

internationlriders

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mishimoto catch can works terrific on my 2017 Camaro SS, every oil change it's about 1/4 full of dirty slop that would otherwise be in my intake. Looking forward to seeing results on this engine and how clean or dirty the catch can proves the blow by to be.

Sponsored

VelocityBronco

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That is why there is no need for the catch can anymore...
Need, no. It is not need on a direct injected engine. I don't have one on my 3.5L and its going strong over 100k miles.

VelocityBronco

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2.7..3.3...3.5... and the 5.0 are all DI and PI engines... you are correct no need of the catch can...
My 3.5 is Direct only (its a 2012), did they update them to DI/PI? I know the 2.7 and 3.0 were updated to dual injection. I don't follow the 5.0, so I will have to trust you on that one.
I know the 2.3 is Direct Injection only too.

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My 3.5 is Direct only (its a 2012), did they update them to DI/PI? I know the 2.7 and 3.0 were updated to dual injection. I don't follow the 5.0, so I will have to trust you on that one.
I know the 2.3 is Direct Injection only too.
you are correct on the 2.3.... it think a lot has to do with the quality of oil and how often it is change... people that olny drive a few miles a day.... their oil does not get hot enough to burn all the crap out....
Sponsored