John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey Guys!

I'll start with all of the questions about making a catch can kit for the 2.3L - Yep, we plan on making a kit for that engine as well. We just haven't had the opportunity to have one in our R&D facility just yet, but yes, it's in the plan for that platform!

P1266495-scaled.jpg

NLT_6183-scaled.jpg

Looks great . Hope the test run goes good. Will we need to change anything in the ECU if we get the catch can? Off Topic does your engineering team think a air compressor can fit under the hood of the 2.7 bronco?
Nope! You won't need any tuning or ECU tweaks for your catch can.

Let me get back to you on the air compressor!

@Mishimoto I had considered buying the 2.7L kit for the F150. Would that kit not work on the Bronco?
You would need to do a decent amount of custom work to make the kit fit. The port fittings are the same, but that's about the only similarity that we would have between the kits since everything is in a different spot

-Nick

FernieSanders

Badlands
First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi Q3, Bronco Badlands 4Dr NoSas MIC 2.7 CG High
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey Guys!

I'll start with all of the questions about making a catch can kit for the 2.3L - Yep, we plan on making a kit for that engine as well. We just haven't had the opportunity to have one in our R&D facility just yet, but yes, it's in the plan for that platform!

Nope! You won't need any tuning or ECU tweaks for your catch can.

Let me get back to you on the air compressor!

You would need to do a decent amount of custom work to make the kit fit. The port fittings are the same, but that's about the only similarity that we would have between the kits since everything is in a different spot

-Nick
Thank you! Looking forward to your kit.

Dewreckingcrew

Badlands
First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 3.5 Boost and 2009 6.4 Super Duty
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If people could see the junk I get out of my catch can every month, even though I have a DI/PI 3.5, they would be emphatically questioning why Ford doesn’t make a catch can standard. I will never have another turbo engine again without a catch can.

Lake Tahoe Traveler

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2dr BL SASQ, & 1975 Bronco Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just a note:

On turbo charged engines when the turbos spool up they deliver positive pressure to the intake manifold, thus the catch can in that instance is receiving full boost pressure... So instead of pulling vacuum from the crankcase, the engine is blowing pressure in the opposite direction thus shutting off an escape route for crankcase pressure. In this instance added blow by under boost has no place to go.

In that high boost instance, the breather on the other side of the motor is not longer a breather (pulling clean air from the air cleaner) but rather an output for crank case blow by and oil vapor that is instead going to your intercooler (not good).

Both of these situations are significantly more challenging to engineer around than that of an aspirated engine. And... IMO are the real reasons to install a properly engineered Dual Catch-can System on your new Bronco.

In a nutshell.... These turbo engines are fairly complicated systems.... however, Mishimoto is the best in the business and makes great products. I am fully confident they will address all of these technical issues.

I will purchase one of their units as soon as its available. (even though it is illegal in CA for me to mess with my car's smog system) Personally, I like to live the outlaw ("fuXX big government"/void my Ford warranty) lifestyle!!!:cool::cool::cool:

Last edited:

Sponsored

Tech Tim

Base
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Off Topic does your engineering team think a air compressor can fit under the hood of the 2.7 bronco?
There is plenty of room under the hood for a compressor, a couple companies are already working on it.

krawl on

Badlands
First Name
PETE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Mustang supercharged
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey guys!

Nick here from Mishimoto! We're beyond excited to kick off our development thread for our baffled oil catch can kit for the 2.7L Broncos! Huge shoutout to @schlava for loaning us his gorgeous Outer Banks Bronco so we could start with some hands-on R&D while our Broncos are still in production.

P1266537-scaled.jpg

We're no strangers to the EcoBoost here at Mishimoto, and are stoked to apply everything we've learned from all of the other applications to Ford's newest 2.7L EB powerplant. The addition of dual injection on these engines does, in theory, make them less susceptible to the dangers of blow-by, but from our experience through the years with a wide array of different engines and fueling methods, well:

5nvln6.jpeg

We'll have plenty more info to come VERY soon! Make sure that you stay tuned for more info on our upcoming catch can kit!

As always, don't hesitate to reach out with any questions that you might have!

-Nick
How much and when can we order? Thanks. Looks great.

First Name
Beef
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just me Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Can't wait to see this catch can available for purchase!

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey Guys!

I wanted to bump this thread up since we're at a point in this project where we'd love your feedback! Our donor vehicle just finished up its first round of preliminary road testing (thanks again @schlava!) and here's what we collected on our dual can setup:

NLT_9574.jpg

NLT_9588.jpg

We recorded about 2.5ml from our PCV side can, with some blowby droplets found in the bottom of the CCV side. From our extensive experience with the EcoBoost engines, we know that both of these collections are only going to increase.

So, the feedback we're looking for - We are going to make a PCV-side catch can kit for sure, but we also wanted to know how many of you would also be interested in a dual can system for your 2.7L Broncos. Let us know in a comment below!

-Nick

Sponsored

amccue90

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Im in for he Dual, but also it depends on the price...
Second.

Also hurry up that pvc side. All that shtuff is going into my intake.

Boston182

First Edition
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson Sportster
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Hey Guys!

I wanted to bump this thread up since we're at a point in this project where we'd love your feedback! Our donor vehicle just finished up its first round of preliminary road testing (thanks again @schlava!) and here's what we collected on our dual can setup:

Ford Bronco Mishimoto's Bronco 2.7 Catch Can R&D Thread NLT_9588

Ford Bronco Mishimoto's Bronco 2.7 Catch Can R&D Thread NLT_9588

We recorded about 2.5ml from our PCV side can, with some blowby droplets found in the bottom of the CCV side. From our extensive experience with the EcoBoost engines, we know that both of these collections are only going to increase.

So, the feedback we're looking for - We are going to make a PCV-side catch can kit for sure, but we also wanted to know how many of you would also be interested in a dual can system for your 2.7L Broncos. Let us know in a comment below!

-Nick
giphy-downsized-large.gif

I know nothing about anything, apparently. But all this seems like a good add, price permitting?

Ig_bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm in for two.. However I like the option for folks to be able to add it on for additional cost. Better safe than sorry. Good to know after what 1k-1.5k miles that little was caught. Double that for 3k and so forth.