John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey Guys!

Nick from Mishimoto back again with EVEN MORE goodies in the works for the Bronco platform, this time in the form of a fresh new intake kit! So far we dove into the stock kit and started to work on our airbox design that will be compatible across both engine options. Make sure that you check out the first installment of our process over on our Engineering Blog:

Wild Breath – 2021+ Ford Bronco 2.3L/2.7L Performance Air Intake R&D, Part 1 – Stock Review and Airbox Design Plans

NLT_9248.jpg

Just like the wild horses these trucks take their name from, every Ford Bronco is equipped with a “go anywhere, do anything” attitude from the factory. No matter which engine is cradled under the hood, each Bronco is more than well equipped for a life of automotive freedom. However, for those serious overlanders lugging heavy recovery or camping equipment or those just looking for some extra shove back in their seat, some more power is needed. The intake system is the best place to start on your expedition for additional power.
Typically, when a manufacturer like Ford designs an intake system for their road-going vehicles, the engineering team performs a balancing act between a few factors to devise their final kit. These factors include meeting stringent efficiency and emissions standards, reducing harsh engine noises, maximizing performance, all while fitting into the manufacturing budget. Basically, it’s not an easy feat and usually involves compromises in terms of performance, specifically for the airbox’s design. Read more...
As always, don't hesitate to reach out with any questions you might have!

-Nick
Sponsored

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Definitely worth whatever itll cost unlike Roushes system

Definitely watching

Penco

Big Bend
First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Mishimoto, definitely watching your progress on this!

However, I do have a few points that you could consider.

1. If you concluded that the stock airbox and forward snorkel is pretty good, why the need to create a hole new box probably raising the complexity and cost of your product quite significantly? would it be better to just replacing the filter element with a high quality-free flowing cleaner in the stock box and mate it with my second point below?

2. From my observation in my 2.3 the must gain that you could attain is to smooth out the pipe run between the intake of the turbo and the connection to the air box. (the stock element seems convoluted and not very efficient in terms of flow) A good smooth pipe that simplifies all the intake noise reduction crap will do great things.

3. Last but not list, potential for aftermarket snorkel connection. I have not seen how the everglade snorkel connect to the stock air box but it will be always good to plan ahead for a potential simple hose and clamp round connection to make any windshield snorkel connection a good fit and water tight. Having this potential side connection pointing towards the fender will make replacing the entire airbox completely worth it canceling my first observation.

I hope that your development leads to a great product and definitely I will follow your progress!

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mishimoto, definitely watching your progress on this!

However, I do have a few points that you could consider.

1. If you concluded that the stock airbox and forward snorkel is pretty good, why the need to create a hole new box probably raising the complexity and cost of your product quite significantly? would it be better to just replacing the filter element with a high quality-free flowing cleaner in the stock box and mate it with my second point below?

2. From my observation in my 2.3 the must gain that you could attain is to smooth out the pipe run between the intake of the turbo and the connection to the air box. (the stock element seems convoluted and not very efficient in terms of flow) A good smooth pipe that simplifies all the intake noise reduction crap will do great things.

3. Last but not list, potential for aftermarket snorkel connection. I have not seen how the everglade snorkel connect to the stock air box but it will be always good to plan ahead for a potential simple hose and clamp round connection to make any windshield snorkel connection a good fit and water tight. Having this potential side connection pointing towards the fender will make replacing the entire airbox completely worth it canceling my first observation.

I hope that your development leads to a great product and definitely I will follow your progress!

Excellent questions!

To start, yep we're already plotting our snorkel design, which is one of the reasons we opted for a new airbox design. The detachable lid on the top side of the box is there specifically as our access point for the snorkel that our engineer, Ye, is already working up. Also, during our preliminary testing Ye found that while the inlet duct wasn't a restriction point the rest of the airbox does hinder the airflow into the system. A better flowing filter would definitely help in that regard, but reworking the entire airbox with a application-specific filter is the best means to maximize airflow.

To your other question, you're 100% correct! The piping to the turbo is another choke point in the system, and we have plans for that as well! I'll have more on the rest of the kit coming very soon!

-Nick

Sponsored

Forditude

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150 5.0 5* Tuned, GX470 Overland
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Following and thanks for doing the necessary legwork on this. I loved my mishi radiator in my LS2 GTO.
Out of curiosity, I have read that the intercooler on these is really poor. Are there performance and longevity gains to be found with upgrading the IC on a stock tune?

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Following and thanks for doing the necessary legwork on this. I loved my mishi radiator in my LS2 GTO.
Out of curiosity, I have read that the intercooler on these is really poor. Are there performance and longevity gains to be found with upgrading the IC on a stock tune?
Intercooler on the Ecoboosts have always been a weak link. Even if there aren't immediate gains on a stock tune, you're talking going from plastic end tanks:
Ford Bronco Mishimoto's Performance Intake R&D Thread 1647388758992

to a more solid one piece:
Ford Bronco Mishimoto's Performance Intake R&D Thread 1647388800011

(Ranger)

Again, even if the stock ecu negates the gains, look at the quality difference:
Ford Bronco Mishimoto's Performance Intake R&D Thread 1647388844746

Which would you rather have?

According to Mustang6g, “I would expect a cooler of this size and design to support 250 hp at relatively low boost. At 310 and 18 psi on a small turbine like this, this is a danger to the engine”

I hope Ford improved it since 2016, but still, look at the first and last pic, do you really trust that system once you add power?

Forditude

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thanks for the reply and the pics. I did read the mustang ecoboost thread. Living in S. TX., my concern is really losing power/heat soak in the summer months.

I can google this but...is there an install video out yet for replacing the IC on the Bronco?

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wish, I’d love to watch how its done myself

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Another great question!

So from the tuning of these Broncos, it's tricky to get bolt-on power without a performance map, since the ECU will compensate for the additional air volume and lower temperatures. That said though, it'll feel a little peppier since you'd be keeping your intake air temperatures lower on average, so there would be fewer timing adjustments from hot intake air.

Longevity is definitely something you'd get from a all aluminum intercooler though since we're planning to ditch all of the plastic bits that can degrade over time, plus it'll hold up better against road debris.

-Nick

Sponsored
OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I also wanted to give this thread a bump too since we have some more info on our intake available! Make sure that you head over to our Engineering Blog to check it out!

WILD BREATH – 2021+ FORD BRONCO 2.3L/2.7L PERFORMANCE AIR INTAKE R&D, PART 2 – 2.3L DESIGN PLANS

NLT_9169.jpg

Compromise is a common thread through the Bronco fleet. These towering off-roaders are destined for the great outdoors but will likely spend most of their time cruising America’s interstates. Compromises continue with the shared components between the different engine options found under the Bronco’s hood, which means meeting in the middle in terms of performance. While these trucks aren’t necessarily built for speed, that doesn’t mean they can’t be turned into speed demons.

Intakes are always the first step toward changing the demeanor of your vehicle, with the 2.3L Bronco being no exception. As we dig further into the development of our kit, the compromises continue, however. For starters, the Bronco essentially requires additional tuning to make full use of bolt-on upgrades due to MAP or speed-density-based base fuel programming. We dig deeper into the differences in tuning in our tech post, but the abridged version is that this tuning style compensates fueling for the additional airflow, which, in turn, maintains power figures. So, no matter how much the flow is increased over the OEM unit, the ECU will balance things out, which typically only maintains power figures rather than giving an immediate boost, ideal for vehicle efficiency. Read More...
-Nick

Forditude

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Another great question!

So from the tuning of these Broncos, it's tricky to get bolt-on power without a performance map, since the ECU will compensate for the additional air volume and lower temperatures. That said though, it'll feel a little peppier since you'd be keeping your intake air temperatures lower on average, so there would be fewer timing adjustments from hot intake air.

Longevity is definitely something you'd get from a all aluminum intercooler though since we're planning to ditch all of the plastic bits that can degrade over time, plus it'll hold up better against road debris.

-Nick
Appreciate the info - looking forward to what your team develops. Thanks Nick.

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model