Sponsored

Missing Roof Rack Piece??? Yes, No, or Maybe?

BroncoAwaits

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Golf
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As we build out our toys I've noticed the roof rack systems seems to NOT reach the rear of the vehicle.

I realize the yellow bronco is a photoshopped mockup from GFC but...
  • For clamshell tents it I would think that the rear piece would be needed to support camper weight
  • There is a notch towards the rear of the roof for an extended roof rack
Am I missing the "extended roof rack" in the price and build?

Also, the price and build only gives one cross bar. Is there an option to get two cross bars?

Thanks! Can't wait!
Ford Bronco Missing Roof Rack Piece??? Yes, No, or Maybe? bronco-rack
Sponsored

Bronc-Itus

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 F250, ‘88 4Runner(sold)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just my opinion- I would not trust renderings for anything roof rack related. In your circled picture the second mounting point is beyond the drop off of the roll bar. So bearing weight on just the MiC top. Doesn’t seam sturdy. Ford has missed the mark on roof rack and will likely better it in years to come. But til then I think we should expect the aftermarket to make the best rack for the ’21 model.

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

They had that rack on the Fishing Concept OBX, seem like it was said that it wasn't going to be made.

Ford Bronco Missing Roof Rack Piece??? Yes, No, or Maybe? 1615137370981

Bodge Garage

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Land Rover Discovery, Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does the roof or the rack attach to the roll bar in any way? From what I have seen the rear clamshell is attached by the lower bolts only so why would the roll bar placement matter? The overland rig seems to have a relief for another roof rack mounting point toward the rear.

Sponsored

1IH

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe MaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
They had that rack on the Fishing Concept OBX, seem like it was said that it wasn't going to be made.

1615137370981.png
In the video of that build I saw they said it is a locking *Yakima Aftermarket Tray but didn't specify anything on the rack. Would be good to know if it is Thule also.

Last edited:

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think that the roof rack only attaches to the roof clamshell section, it seems unlikely that the attachments carry through to the roll over structure. This is probably the biggest driver as to why the rack weigh limits are as low as they are. If they tied to the roll structure, it ought to be able to handle a lot more weight, since it would be functionally equivalent to the Backbone rack support you see on Jeeps. But since the load is born through the (removable) plastic top alone, it has severe limitations.

I also think that Ford put the second attachment slots on the top so that owners could buy another crossbar and mount a small rack or platform on the clamshell without requiring the windshield mount points. That allows the front row to completely open when the t-tops are off. Or use a retractable soft segment. But it probably isn't meant to be a standard option. I'm actually disappointed that they didn't do the same thing on the 2-dr roof section, since its added length could better accommodate bikes, kayaks, etc.

KirchTX

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
All the best stuff from the Ford pics we can’t have. Saddle color leather, white MGV interior, white roof, two tone paint on body vs roll cage, full length roof rack. On and on.

They NAILED it in the reveal and then threw it in the waste bin.

1IH

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe MaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
All the best stuff from the Ford pics we can’t have. Saddle color leather, white MGV interior, white roof, two tone paint on body vs roll cage, full length roof rack. On and on.

They NAILED it in the reveal and then threw it in the waste bin.
I have to agree with you, getting a Wildtrak as reserved and the interior is not looking good at all.

MyATV

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

From what I have seen the rear clamshell is attached by the lower bolts only so why would the roll bar placement matter?
Maybe because the roll-bar supports the roof, and the roof in turn supports the roof rack(?)
The front panels appear to attach to brackets attached to the roll-bar, so the front panels make contact with the roll-bar (through the brackets). I don't know about the clamshell.
According to the 28-page Quick Reference Guide, the max load for the roof rack is 110 lbs while vehicle is in motion, and 450 lbs when stationary.
If the clamshell DOES make contact with the roll-bar, it wouldn't make sense to provide for load-bearing aft of where clamshell makes contact with roll-bar. (Again, this is assuming they do make contact and is figured into the load-bearing equation.)
For liability, Ford has to assume that if they say the maximum roof rack load is 110 or 450 lbs, the consumer might place that entire weight in the last few inches of the roof rack, and not spread out over several square feet. And if the roll-bar factors into that load-bearing, they would not provide for any load-bearing aft of where roll-bar and top make contact.
Now, having said all that, I seem to recall seeing a video of attaching something to one of those roofline attachment sites (could have been a roof rack or some other accessory), and it seemed to bolt directly to the roll-bar. And if that's the case, it would again explain why there's no roof rack past where the roll-bar makes its bend.

Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The roof rack bolts to the windshield frame and clamps to the rear clamshell. This can be seen on the BN hard top removal video. There is no attachment directly to the roll bar under the top.

The 4-door roof rack ends at the first clamp point, short of the rear of the vehicle.

The small rack on the OB fishing concept that is only on the rear clamshell is not being produced.

The rear most cross member is fixed in place at the rear rack attachment point. The front cross member can be placed either all the way forward or halfway back.

The accessory catalog lists an additional cross member you can purchase separately for whatever position is left vacant in the front, if you’d like a total of three crossmembers.

VelocityBronco

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, F-150 FX4, Explorer Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco Missing Roof Rack Piece??? Yes, No, or Maybe? 1615137370981
That is the only roof rack I am considering. Will do it myself assuming they sell just the crossbars. And that rack is a Yakima, iirc.

Reactions: 1IH

kodathedog

Badlands
First Name
Koda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The clam shell top is just a molded structure, there is no reinforcement to support a ton of weight. It is impossible to lock into the roll bar inside without drilling through the roof which opens up a ton of water egress and curtain airbag issues. The factory rear crossbar locks into the first opening of roof because it limits the length of the unsupported side rail. That rail acts like a leaf spring the longer you stretch it out. Using just two bars in the back of shell will extend your bikes, kayaks and skis beyond the back of the vehicle. The load capacity will also be less than the current factory rack.

Noco

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser, Trail Teams edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you realize where the inner structure ends the rack is correct. Not much support in the plastic topper.
If that’s true, then why is the topper supporting it on the 2 door?? It just looks stupid having a 2 door rack on a 4 door.

Username_not_found

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If that’s true, then why is the topper supporting it on the 2 door?? It just looks stupid having a 2 door rack on a 4 door.
That's what bugs me so much. Clearly there was intention to have a rear clamshell only rack like the fishing concept, or a full length rack like in the GFC rooftop tent render for the four door, but either due to engineering limitations that were discovered later, manufacturing problems, or purely cost they've simplified to one rack for 2 door and 4 door and the rear attachment point is now functionless and the rack looks bad on the 4 door and loses functionality.
Sponsored