Sponsored

Missing Roof Rack Piece??? Yes, No, or Maybe?

Broncolli

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Back Diamond 4 door MIC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That is the only roof rack I am considering. Will do it myself assuming they sell just the crossbars. And that rack is a Yakima, iirc.
But those aren't crossbars - those are feet that attach to a rail - the rail is what holds the extra cross bar they are selling and the standard crossbars. If those are feet that go to a crossbar that would be very cool. So rails go from front to back of the vehicle, and crossbars go across a roof from the passenger side to driver side.

Ford Bronco Missing Roof Rack Piece??? Yes, No, or Maybe? 1615225147190
Sponsored

VelocityBronco

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, F-150 FX4, Explorer Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

But those aren't crossbars - those are feet that attach to a rail - the rail is what holds the extra cross bar they are selling and the standard crossbars. If those are feet that go to a crossbar that would be very cool. So rails go from front to back of the vehicle, and crossbars go across a roof from the passenger side to driver side.

Ford Bronco Missing Roof Rack Piece??? Yes, No, or Maybe? 1615225147190
You are correct, those are just feet, that have some kind of clamp that the rack attaches with. That is fine, saves some weight, no need for the crossbar. Really hope they make this a reality.
Ford Bronco Missing Roof Rack Piece??? Yes, No, or Maybe? 1615225566171

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I would highly recommend waiting for an aftermarket roof rack. There will be plenty to choose from, with different configurations, in different styles/types, and super easy to install yourself.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That is the only roof rack I am considering. Will do it myself assuming they sell just the crossbars. And that rack is a Yakima, iirc.
Ford has no plans to make those rails and Yakima has no plans to make a platform in that size. They are one-offs.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I can't get any roof rack with my setup so I am crossing my fingers someone comes out with something and that it can support actual weight.

I think jeep has a rack where metal supports are installed inside the rear claim so that the rack appears to be sitting on the claim, but really supported down to the body. I have no desire to remove the claim and need the ability to put stuff on top for road trips.

Sponsored

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think that the roof rack only attaches to the roof clamshell section, it seems unlikely that the attachments carry through to the roll over structure. This is probably the biggest driver as to why the rack weigh limits are as low as they are. If they tied to the roll structure, it ought to be able to handle a lot more weight, since it would be functionally equivalent to the Backbone rack support you see on Jeeps. But since the load is born through the (removable) plastic top alone, it has severe limitations.

I also think that Ford put the second attachment slots on the top so that owners could buy another crossbar and mount a small rack or platform on the clamshell without requiring the windshield mount points. That allows the front row to completely open when the t-tops are off. Or use a retractable soft segment. But it probably isn't meant to be a standard option. I'm actually disappointed that they didn't do the same thing on the 2-dr roof section, since its added length could better accommodate bikes, kayaks, etc.
400Lbs is low?? 😂

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
400Lbs is low?? 😂
The 400lb static rating isn't the issue, its the 110 load dynamic rating that's the problem. And yeah, that number is low; most solid-roofed SUVs are at least 150. That makes a difference if you want to have several bikes, or a RTT, etc up there.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 400lb static rating isn't the issue, its the 110 load dynamic rating that's the problem. And yeah, that number is low; most solid-roofed SUVs are at least 150. That makes a difference if you want to have several bikes, or a RTT, etc up there.
Dynamic limit? Who gives a shit.... Lol
Have you looked at ANY Jeep overlanding video recently? I bet some of this rigs are 300Lbs all day long.
If it concerns you that much, maybe you wanna pickup truck.

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Have you looked at ANY Jeep overlanding video recently? I bet some of this rigs are 300Lbs all day long.
I have a pickup truck. Still also want a Bronco. :rolleyes:

If you don't think that dynamic rating is important, have at it. The videos I've seen had systems designed for the purpose, they weren't just throwing those loads on an unsupported hard top. But whatever...

VelocityBronco

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, F-150 FX4, Explorer Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Those jeeps probably have a Rhino rack that has a subframe on the inside to support the load, so the rooftop is not holding anything. Requires you to drill holes in your brand new top, and I'm not sure how easy the roof is to remove after installing.

Jeep doesn't have a middle section that removes, so a load bearing rack like the Rhino might be harder?

Sponsored

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Those Jeeps have racks installed to the frame and roll cage that can hold around 800 lbs.

Bronco will have something similar eventually, bur for now you can't really compare.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Those Jeeps have racks installed to the frame and roll cage that can hold around 800 lbs.

Bronco will have something similar eventually, bur for now you can't really compare.
And yet, their dynamic weight rating stays the same 😉

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Those jeeps probably have a Rhino rack that has a subframe on the inside to support the load, so the rooftop is not holding anything. Requires you to drill holes in your brand new top, and I'm not sure how easy the roof is to remove after installing.

Jeep doesn't have a middle section that removes, so a load bearing rack like the Rhino might be harder?
This does not change the dynamic rating on the Jeep... Or any other vehicle.

RG7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B8 A4, 2018 Triumph Street Triple R
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Can almost guarantee Rhino Rack will be working on adapting their Backbone system for our Broncos. Which will mostly eliminate any load capacity and mounting point issues.

There will be so many aftermarket roof rack options in a year or two it will make your heads spin. It’s a bummer that a few details like the roof rack seem to have been mailed in but we’ll have options in the future.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs