First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I wrote this up on the other Forum and figured I'd crosspost. Just some of my favorite and bucket list Moab trails and my take on them.

Green 2-3

- Harrah Pass - relatively mild trail. Could be done in 2wd but higher clearance is suggested. Great views from the top.
- Chicken Corners - If you continue over Harrah Pass you'll drop down into the Colorado River basin. This area is sandy and overgrown. The Chicken Corners trail eventually takes you out to a river overlook. The trail is mild but it's easy to take a wrong turn. Bring a GPS.
- Gemini Bridges - Mostly a dirt road. Could be done in 2wd with high clearance. The bridge is actually an arch that you can walk out onto. There are several offshoots from the Gemini Bridges road that range from mild to wild.
- Secret Spire - Pavement and sandy dirt road. 4x4 required.
- Shafer Trail - Could be done in 2wd but you're going to want 4x4 low gear. Part of the White Rim trail. This trail starts in Canyonlands (park pass needed) and drops more than a thousand feet into the Canyonlands landscape via many, many switchbacks. The views are amazing but probably one to avoid if you're not good with heights. The switchbacks are one way and you can head out via Potash Rd (you can't miss the potash ponds; surreal blue).
- Mineral Bottom - Could be done in 2wd but you're going to want 4x4 low gear. The first 30 miles is washboard road. Tne you get to a series of switchbacks down to the banks of the Green River. Keep an eye out for the old wrecked car on the slope between the switchbacks. This is a route for one of the river tour companies so you may get stuck behind a large bus going down or up.

Others that I haven't actually done: Crystal Geyser, Tower Arch, Spring Canyon Point

Moderate 4-5 - 4x4 and low gear required

- Fins and Things - Quintessential Moab trail. The Fins are sandstone slickrock that have eroded into steep climbs and drops. The Things are sandy trails with some small ledges and a little bit of canyon driving. This trail is in the Sand Flats OHV area and requires a day or overnight pass. 4x4 is required and you'll want low gear for the fins. There are some views at the tops of the fins but this trail is more about experiencing the landscape than looking at it.
- Hells Revenge - Also in Sand Flats and very similar terrain to Fins. The climbs and drops are way steeper. Imagine driving up a hill and only being able to see sky until you got to the top. Or driving down a hill so steep that you feel the weight come off your rear suspension. That uncertainty freaks some people out. This is a blue trail if you bypass Hells Revenge and the Escalator. Both are dark red obstacles.
Jax Trax - Bounce around on top of a mesa. This trail is very rocky in spots and tippy in a few as well. There's a mix of sandy trails, rocky trails and slickrock. There are ledges to climb over and down. There are bypasses for most but not all of the larger obstacles. This trail uses old mining roads and there are a multitude of wrong turns to be had. Bring a GPS.
- 7 Mile Rim - This trail has a bit of everything; rocks, ledges, shelf road, tippy sections. Lunch can be had between Merrimac and Monitor Buttes and Uranium Arch is along the way.
- Dome Plateau - Another Mesa top trail. This trail starts ricky, turns sandy (baja, anyone?) and goes back to rocky. The trail is well marked with "DP" signs throughout. There is an arch, a cave with rock art, and mining ruins to explore along the way. A large amount of this trail has no shade; bring lots of water or your own shade with you.
- Elephant Hill - This is a dark blue trail in the Needles district of Canyonlands. You get to experience Elephant Hill immediately upon setting off. It's a narrow rocky hill that is actually two directional even though that's actual impossible to do at the same time. As soon as you go up you get to go down the other side. The inside hill is characterized by several switchbacks. They are too narrow for even the smallest truck to make the turn so you end up having to reverse down one section of the switchback. Once down the hill, the trail is much more mild as you drive through a series of box canyons. There are overlooks and rock art a plenty. The trail makes a big loop and you get to exit via Elephant Hill, complete with reversing up the same switchback.

Difficult - 6-7 Rear locker required. Front Locker highly recommended.

- Hells Gate - An offshoot of Hells Revenge, The gate is a long (70-80 feet) V notch climb that is very steep. To navigate the obstacle, the vehicle needs to straddle the V while keeping enough momentum to climb the hill. The most common accidents on this obstacle are, slipping off the V which lays the side of the vehicle up against the rock wall, or giving it too much gas causing the front wheels to lift and the truck to roll backwards. Having a second vehicle at the top with a winch ready is recommended. A rear locker is a necessity and a front locker is highly recommended. Understanding what you're getting into is imperative as the entrance to the obstacle is harder to climb than the obstacle itself. Once you're at the bottom, climbing the gate is the easiest way back up.
- The Escalator - I have not done the Escalator. It is similar to the Gate in that it is a narrow steep climb. The Escalator is less a V notch and more a series of very large ledges. You get very tippy and rollovers are common. This is exacerbated by the near constant presence of water on some of the ledges, making things slippery.
- Top of the World - THE BEST VIEW IN MOAB - This trail starts at Dewey Bridge. The first several miles are washboard and sandy road. Once you start to climb, the trail becomes rocky and ledgy. Lockers are recommended. The payoff at the end makes it all worth it. You get an expansive view of Onion Creek and Fischer Valley below. The colors are absolutely amazing. There is a jut of rock that you can drive your truck onto for teh poser shot. It's not as narrow as the pictures make it look, still an amazing shot.
- Poison Spider Mesa - This trail starts off Potash road and climbs to the top of the cliffs surrounding you. There are several obstacles, only some of which have bypasses. The waterfall is probably the hardest. The direct route up is blocked by an 18" tall boulder with enough space between it and the waterfall to eat your tire and beach you. Only REALLY big tires or an amazing amount of ground clearance will get you through that route. Everyone else has to swing around and approach the waterfall at an angle. Off camber up the obstacle is much easier with lockers.
- Lathrop Canyon - If you're on Shafer Trail and looking for something a bit rougher, Lathrop is a good option. Along the way you'll pass Musselman Arch. At the beginning of Lathrop Canyon you drop down more switchbacks, narrower and steeper than the Shafer ones. Once at the bottom, the trail is predominantly sandy. As you pinstripe your way through the last bit of canyon brush you're presented with a beach and Colorado River views. It's common for boat tours to use this spot for lunch.
- Metal Masher - This trail starts off Gemini Bridges Road. This trail is predominantly wide open sandy terrain with ledges to navigate through. Nearly every ledgy section has multiple lines to be taken. None are easy but most are doable. Two of the three named obstacles (Widowmaker and Rock Chucker) are bypassable entirely. Mirror Gulch is not. Mirror Gulch is a narrow spot of rock with multiple ledges to climb over. Wider vehicles will have to put a tire up on one or both walls making for an even more interesting climb. The final ledge is a sliver moon shape that is severely undercut. The larger the tire the better here as you spin against the undercut rock face to bump your tires out and over the edge.
- Porcupine Rim - This trail is in Sand Flats OHV. It combines the best (worst?) of shelf roads and ledges. As you make your way up the side of this box canyon, you'll often need to choose between the harder line that's well away from the edge or the easier line that has a tire hanging off. The view from the top is the best Sand Flats has to offer.

Trails I haven't done: Flat Iron Mesa, Steel Bender, Moab Rim, Kane Creek
Sponsored

Texas Red

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
30 years ago I took my '86 Toyota 4WD pickup on the White Rim Trail in Canyonlands Natl Park. No rock crawling, but some hairpin turns with deep drop-offs as you ascend/descend the cliffs along the river. Wouldn't want to try it in a vehicle much larger than that mini-truck.

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great write up! Thanks! My profile pic at the moment is part of the the Moab Rim Trail and my truck. Can’t wait to go back!

Rover72

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR, 18 Cadillac XT5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

New to wheeling and on my to do list was to figure out where to go and put my new Bronco to the task and get my tires dirty & rock rails broke in. You save me time & provided the lay of the land!
Thanks for the nice descriptions and tips on some good places to visit. Can't wait!

Rover72

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR, 18 Cadillac XT5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I wrote this up on the other Forum and figured I'd crosspost. Just some of my favorite and bucket list Moab trails and my take on them.

Green 2-3

- Harrah Pass - relatively mild trail. Could be done in 2wd but higher clearance is suggested. Great views from the top.
- Chicken Corners - If you continue over Harrah Pass you'll drop down into the Colorado River basin. This area is sandy and overgrown. The Chicken Corners trail eventually takes you out to a river overlook. The trail is mild but it's easy to take a wrong turn. Bring a GPS.
- Gemini Bridges - Mostly a dirt road. Could be done in 2wd with high clearance. The bridge is actually an arch that you can walk out onto. There are several offshoots from the Gemini Bridges road that range from mild to wild.
- Shafer Trail - Could be done in 2wd but you're going to want 4x4 low gear. Part of the White Rim trail. This trail starts in Canyonlands (park pass needed) and drops more than a thousand feet into the Canyonlands landscape via many, many switchbacks. The views are amazing but probably one to avoid if you're not good with heights. The switchbacks are one way and you can head out via Potash Rd (you can't miss the potash ponds; surreal blue).
- Mineral Bottom - Could be done in 2wd but you're going to want 4x4 low gear. The first 30 miles is washboard road. Tne you get to a series of switchbacks down to the banks of the Green River. Keep an eye out for the old wrecked car on the slope between the switchbacks. This is a route for one of the river tour companies so you may get stuck behind a large bus going down or up.

Others that I haven't actually done: Crystal Geyser, Tower Arch, Spring Canyon Point

- Fins and Things - Quintessential Moab trail. The Fins are sandstone slickrock that have eroded into steep climbs and drops. The Things are sandy trails with some small ledges and a little bit of canyon driving. This trail is in the Sand Flats OHV area and requires a day or overnight pass. 4x4 is required and you'll want low gear for the fins. There are some views at the tops of the fins but this trail is more about experiencing the landscape than looking at it.
- Hells Revenge - Also in Sand Flats and very similar terrain to Fins. The climbs and drops are way steeper. Imagine driving up a hill and only being able to see sky until you got to the top. Or driving down a hill so steep that you feel the weight come off your rear suspension. That uncertainty freaks some people out. This is a blue trail if you bypass Hells Revenge and the Escalator. Both are dark red obstacles.
Jax Trax - Bounce around on top of a mesa. This trail is very rocky in spots and tippy in a few as well. There's a mix of sandy trails, rocky trails and slickrock. There are ledges to climb over and down. There are bypasses for most but not all of the larger obstacles. This trail uses old mining roads and there are a multitude of wrong turns to be had. Bring a GPS.
- 7 Mile Rim - This trail has a bit of everything; rocks, ledges, shelf road, tippy sections. Lunch can be had between Merrimac and Monitor Buttes and Uranium Arch is along the way.
- Dome Plateau - Another Mesa top trail. This trail starts ricky, turns sandy (baja, anyone?) and goes back to rocky. The trail is well marked with "DP" signs throughout. There is an arch, a cave with rock art, and mining ruins to explore along the way. A large amount of this trail has no shade; bring lots of water or your own shade with you.
- Elephant Hill - This is a dark blue trail in the Needles district of Canyonlands. You get to experience Elephant Hill immediately upon setting off. It's a narrow rocky hill that is actually two directional even though that's actual impossible to do at the same time. As soon as you go up you get to go down the other side. The inside hill is characterized by several switchbacks. They are too narrow for even the smallest truck to make the turn so you end up having to reverse down one section of the switchback. Once down the hill, the trail is much more mild as you drive through a series of box canyons. There are overlooks and rock art a plenty. The trail makes a big loop and you get to exit via Elephant Hill, complete with reversing up the same switchback.

- Hells Gate - An offshoot of Hells Revenge, The gate is a long (70-80 feet) V notch climb that is very steep. To navigate the obstacle, the vehicle needs to straddle the V while keeping enough momentum to climb the hill. The most common accidents on this obstacle are, slipping off the V which lays the side of the vehicle up against the rock wall, or giving it too much gas causing the front wheels to lift and the truck to roll backwards. Having a second vehicle at the top with a winch ready is recommended. A rear locker is a necessity and a front locker is highly recommended. Understanding what you're getting into is imperative as the entrance to the obstacle is harder to climb than the obstacle itself. Once you're at the bottom, climbing the gate is the easiest way back up.
- The Escalator - I have not done the Escalator. It is similar to the Gate in that it is a narrow steep climb. The Escalator is less a V notch and more a series of very large ledges. You get very tippy and rollovers are common. This is exacerbated by the near constant presence of water on some of the ledges, making things slippery.
- Top of the World - THE BEST VIEW IN MOAB - This trail starts at Dewey Bridge. The first several miles are washboard and sandy road. Once you start to climb, the trail becomes rocky and ledgy. Lockers are recommended. The payoff at the end makes it all worth it. You get an expansive view of Onion Creek and Fischer Valley below. The colors are absolutely amazing. There is a jut of rock that you can drive your truck onto for teh poser shot. It's not as narrow as the pictures make it look, still an amazing shot.
- Poison Spider Mesa - This trail starts off Potash road and climbs to the top of the cliffs surrounding you. There are several obstacles, only some of which have bypasses. The waterfall is probably the hardest. The direct route up is blocked by an 18" tall boulder with enough space between it and the waterfall to eat your tire and beach you. Only REALLY big tires or an amazing amount of ground clearance will get you through that route. Everyone else has to swing around and approach the waterfall at an angle. Off camber up the obstacle is much easier with lockers.
- Lathrop Canyon - If you're on Shafer Trail and looking for something a bit rougher, Lathrop is a good option. Along the way you'll pass Musselman Arch. At the beginning of Lathrop Canyon you drop down more switchbacks, narrower and steeper than the Shafer ones. Once at the bottom, the trail is predominantly sandy. As you pinstripe your way through the last bit of canyon brush you're presented with a beach and Colorado River views. It's common for boat tours to use this spot for lunch.
- Metal Masher - This trail starts off Gemini Bridges Road. This trail is predominantly wide open sandy terrain with ledges to navigate through. Nearly every ledgy section has multiple lines to be taken. None are easy but most are doable. Two of the three named obstacles (Widowmaker and Rock Chucker) are bypassable entirely. Mirror Gulch is not. Mirror Gulch is a narrow spot of rock with multiple ledges to climb over. Wider vehicles will have to put a tire up on one or both walls making for an even more interesting climb. The final ledge is a sliver moon shape that is severely undercut. The larger the tire the better here as you spin against the undercut rock face to bump your tires out and over the edge.
- Porcupine Rim - This trail is in Sand Flats OHV. It combines the best (worst?) of shelf roads and ledges. As you make your way up the side of this box canyon, you'll often need to choose between the harder line that's well away from the edge or the easier line that has a tire hanging off. The view from the top is the best Sand Flats has to offer.

What are the chances of managing all of the trails you have done in a 2 Dr, non-sas, BD with just a rear locker?

Sponsored

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What are the chances of managing all of the trails you have done in a 2 Dr, non-sas, BD with just a rear locker?
You will get most of them done just fine. May need to back up and try a different line every now and again. My F-150 has a LSD in the rear and open front. I had to be pulled and or tugged 4 different times on the Moab Rim trail. Try to go with someone with experience and start off with the easier trails. Expect to drag the bottom frequently and prepare yourself to receive trail damage. Not that you will, but you might.

Edit: I was on 35"s and a 2" front level kit, stock height rear.
Edit2: Front sway bar was disconnected. (Actually still haven't reconnected it yet.) Ran the tires at 20 psi all around.

Last edited:

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Nice write up. I appreciate the insight and feedback from others.

Rover72

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR, 18 Cadillac XT5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You will get most of them done just fine. May need to back up and try a different line every now and again. My F-150 has a LSD in the rear and open front. I had to be pulled and or tugged 4 different times on the Moab Rim trail. Try to go with someone with experience and start off with the easier trails. Expect to drag the bottom frequently and prepare yourself to receive trail damage. Not that you will, but you might.

Edit: I was on 35"s and a 2" front level kit, stock height rear.
Edit2: Front sway bar was disconnected. (Actually still haven't reconnected it yet.) Ran the tires at 20 psi all around.
Thanks much for the insight & details! I feel more confident about my daily driver BD talking me to places I have only dreamed about without necessarily needed to do SAS out of the gate. I plan to make connections and hopefully go with some veteran wheelers first time out on challenging trails. Can't wait!

edit: @Hey19 - wow, I just enlarged your profile pic and that is a crazy cool location your rig is perched on!

Last edited:

drive21bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Green 2-3

Yea great write up. I’ve been wanting to get out to Moab with my Jeep for years. Hoping with the Bronco I definitely will. Just have to make the trip from the East Coast some day!

Megawatt

First Name
JO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lifted Rubicon usually off-road.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Nice write up OP

And for the “never been there’s“ worried about your expensive Bronco..... it is totally possible to go to Moab, run some trails, have a great time and not jack up your ride. Lots of bypasses if you come across a challenge that makes you uncomfortable.

When Ford sells me a Bronco I will post many trail pics that are not from a JKU windshield view. Until then, these are fins and things and hells revenge trail pics.

Ford Bronco Moab 4x4 Trails 0A256820-00EF-48BA-AE28-05B1BFBBD60E

Ford Bronco Moab 4x4 Trails 6D3F80AB-F5A4-4127-B8D1-E887876361B1

Ford Bronco Moab 4x4 Trails D3FD8644-1E27-4992-9C38-34908FB991FD

Ford Bronco Moab 4x4 Trails 27F5F37F-190D-49E6-8723-0179B9CB2A81

Ford Bronco Moab 4x4 Trails D85F32C4-384A-4EB2-B8F6-5EB9294D509D

Sponsored

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks much for the insight & details! I feel more confident about my daily driver BD talking me to places I have only dreamed about without necessarily needed to do SAS out of the gate. I plan to make connections and hopefully go with some veteran wheelers first time out on challenging trails. Can't wait!

edit: @Hey19 - wow, I just enlarged your profile pic and that is a crazy cool location your rig is perched on!
Yeah that was the return after wheeling all day and one of the obstacles I needed a bit of help getting up.

Clint

Base
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have been dreaming about Moab for a long time. Can't wait to take the Bronco out there.

OP
OP
Apples

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Thanks everybody. Moab is one of my favorite places. There is something for everyone; every level of experience and every build of vehicle.

I'll probably be out there 3-4 times before I even get my hands on my Bronco but it will be destination #1 once I do have it.

Mustang_75_99

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F150, 2005 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Green 2-3

Thanks for the write up! I am new to off-roading and I hope to travel to Moab to try out the Bronc's legs and my limited skills. I have some friends with Jeeps that also are rookies and want to go. Any other advice? Thanks

Mustang_75_99

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F150, 2005 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nice write up OP

And for the “never been there’s“ worried about your expensive Bronco..... it is totally possible to go to Moab, run some trails, have a great time and not jack up your ride. Lots of bypasses if you come across a challenge that makes you uncomfortable.

When Ford sells me a Bronco I will post many trail pics that are not from a JKU windshield view. Until then, these are fins and things and hells revenge trail pics.

I am a never been and never done that (new to off-roading), but I am really looking forward to going to Moab. I have been doing a fair amount of research about what Moab has to offer and as a rookie I am worried that I will overstep my limits. I will likely keep to the easier trails, but which moderate trails would you recommend that have by-passes around the more challenging obstacles? -Thanks
Sponsored