Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was lucky enough to get a reservation for the Moab Dixie 4x4 Bronco ride along on Friday afternoon. What made it even better, I got my Pops to agree to join me for the 1 day, 7 hr round trip adventure. He had previously known little about the Bronco but saw it as an opportunity some condensed QT with the kid(I'm a grandpa myself).

As intimated in the title, we got the full ride along experience.....plus. We chose an A51, 2.7, Badlands w/ the optional upgraded wheels and soft top, as it was most similar to my ordered build, minus the MIC top. All was proceeding as planned when (about 7:30 in Video) some GOAT Mode glitches started happening with the truck. You are able to see, in the video, the red wrench symbol in the display. Our driver, Nipper, who was fantastic, tried to work through it, without drawing attention to it. Without shutting it down and letting it re-set itself, we tried to make it up a short but steep hill in the sand and got high centered. We ended up having the lone female driver, Shelby, who I hear is a badass Baja racer herself, pull us out with a tow rope. After we started it back up, everything re-set just fine and we continued the demo without any further mishaps. Nipper, later said it was some operator error for ignoring it and not letting it re-set and not having the correct mode engaged. My hope is that this can be written off as a "pre-production" issue, and not something that "surprises" us in production vehicles. Although, one might be naĂŻve to believe, that with all this new programming and tech, in a first year vehicle, that there won't be some glitches, that make their presence known. We also signed up for and drove the Bronco Sport for the first time and had a great time, in that impressive little rig.

Some quick observation and comments:

1. The event and the drivers were very cool and although it was thrown together very quickly, it was fairly organized and enjoyable.
2. The Broncos were gorgeous and everything I had hoped for and I geeked out and I vomitted Bronco trivia, all over my Dad, the entire time.
3. My Dad, who knew nothing about the Bronco, now believes it to be the most incredible production 4x4 in existence.
4. The 2.7 motor paired with the 10 speed did not disappoint. The acceleration and responsiveness were on point.
5. The tire and road noise, even with a top back, soft top, was not bad and the ride quality on pavement was very nice.
6. I changed my build from a mid to a high package for the larger screen alone. It became a must have, for me now.
7. The MGV and the seats were very comfortable and the leg room was more than adequate.

Bronco Sport
1. Really impressed with the 2.0 motor and acceleration. We had a great time with it in the sand. The torque vectoring in place of the trail turn assist was pretty cool.
2. In the sand, it was doing some things that little SUVs shouldn't be able to do and made some older modded rigs out there look foolish.
3. On the choppy dirt roads, it actually outperformed the Bronco, for rideability and comfort.

Ford Bronco Moab Bronco Ride Along w/ an Unplanned Unstuck from a Fair Damsel youtube video
Sponsored

Last edited:

11Bronco1776

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 1994.5 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sounds like a great time overall. I too hope those glitches are pre production related, but I have my doubts. Thanks for sharing

Cold_steel

Badlands
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I actually had a ride along with Shelby in the 2 door that pulled you guys out on Saturday.
I unknowingly asked if anyone had been stuck, and she mentioned your fun on the previous day haha.

a little concerning - when Shelby went to demonstrate the sway bar disconnect after intentionally getting a rear tire in the air- she also encountered glitches in the system that she needed to get into level ground to clear out - also attributed to pre-production flakiness. Hope that doesn’t become a thing.

OP
OP
abdickson70

abdickson70

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I actually had a ride along with Shelby in the 2 door that pulled you guys out on Saturday.
I unknowingly asked if anyone had been stuck, and she mentioned your fun on the previous day haha.

a little concerning - when Shelby went to demonstrate the sway bar disconnect after intentionally getting a rear tire in the air- she also encountered glitches in the system that she needed to get into level ground to clear out - also attributed to pre-production flakiness. Hope that doesn’t become a thing.
I am not concerned enough to get off this train but it could be something we have to deal with if it has not been addressed and remedied.
Sponsored