Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Another happy off-roadeoer here. The scenery was stunning and the guides were extremely knowledgeable and supremely patient. I've been to Moab a bunch of times for rock climbing and hiking, but this was my first time driving on terrain this challenging. The Broncos were definitely built for it!

Here are the basics. This may all seem obvious to some people but it was new to me. By the end of the day, it was all second nature though, so I could just drive around and have a great time without thinking too hard. Good times.

Lessons learned:
  • You have to have your foot on the brake to start it
  • To put it in 4H (or 4L or 2H) you first have to stop and put it in neutral
  • To mimic Baha mode, put in it 4H, then GOAT mode Sand, and turn off the rear locker
  • Trail turn assist is cool but almost unnecessary with the 2-door, which can make super-tight turns without it
  • Trail control is very useful going uphill, but keep in mind that if you hit the brake to slow it down, it readjusts to the slower speed
  • Trail control is also useful going downhill but the minimum speed is 1 mph so if you have to go really slow, don't use it
  • Front and rear lockers are useful going up super steep stuff, but as soon as they've done their job, release them
Feedback on the 2-door vs 4-door and Sas vs non-Sas:
  • The 2-door did stuff with no lockers that the guides had the 4-door drivers put their lockers on for. I think it's superior for that kind of stuff, but I've never driven a 4-door.
  • The 2-door struggled only one time. My buddy was driving it up a very steep, ledgy section - I didn't measure, but would guess the highest one was maybe 18" - using trail control. The guides had him set it at the same speed as the 4-doors, 2 mph, then 2.5 mph. I think the problem was this (understand that I am not a physicist but this seems like common sense): Since you need a combination of momentum and traction to get uphill, and since the 2-door is lighter than the 4-door, there is less weight on the tires, so less compression, and less traction (less surface area contact between tire and rock). So he would need more momentum to make up for it. Bumping the trail control up to 5 mph probably would have done the trick, but this was the first time the guides had worked with the 2-door and they were still testing things. They told him to forget about the trail control and use the accelerator, and the 2-door crawled right up! He said he pushed it to 5 mph and kept it there, so if he had set the trail control to 5 mph it probably would have solved the problem.
  • There were also slight differences in how you attack routes with the Sas vs non-Sas rigs. I noticed a non-Sas Badlands struggling on a downhill and hollered out, "He's on 33s, right?" and the guide immediately said, "Oh yeah, let's get you on a different line." Basically, they moved the driver over to a section where the ledge dropoff was slightly lower - makes sense, right?
Videos:

This was my first obstacle and the off-roadeo's first two-door, a Base trim with Sasquatch package in Velocity Blue. They had just gotten it in from Grand Junction the night prior, so this was its first off-roadeo too. The guides were trying to see whether the two-door could do some of the moves without locking the differentials, which the four-door Broncos had engaged in this section (front and rear, I believe). That's why I said, "I still have my lockers off." You can see it worked out just fine. [The videographer's finger got in the way for part of the video because he was walking uphill.)

Second obstacle. Going downhill was harder than going up but the guides were incredibly patient.

Turning the wheel the wrong way caused the Bronco to slip. Oops.

I finally got uphill figured out though.

Final downhill obstacle. The guide said "Absolutley not" because I asked him if I could just close my eyes and go down. Kidding, of course. Then he asked me to stop while he bounced the rear driver tire, which was off the ground, to see how stable the two-door was at this angle. This may look easy but there were some seriously deep divots swallowing up those 35s, as you can see by the wheels coming up off the ground.

https://www.youtubekids.com/
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
sjp

sjp

Base
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Dangit Susan, you're making me want a 2 door in VB now. Sigh.

Thanks for the videos...watching them now.
Yeah, I'm REALLY pleased with my choice of a 2-door in VB now. Not ready to flip to a Basesquatch quite yet but dayum is it sweet!

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
That 2 door in VB is sweet!!! It was actually my first choice, but the wife said no.

Firefight911

Wildtrak
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 4-door Wildtrak, Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Good stuff right there!!!

Sponsored

BLTN

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Badlands; '95 Jeep XJ; '05 F-350; '07 Camry
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice vids, Susan! Had to giggle a bit at the last one - you spent most of the time on three wheels, bobbing the corners up and down...Boing, boing, boing :ROFLMAO:

babraunagel

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for sharing, Susan -- write-up and videos are great! Looks like so much fun!

Reactions: sjp

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
So glad you enjoyed the Bronco Off-Roadeo, Susan! Awesome videos!
Another happy off-roadeoer here. The scenery was stunning and the guides were extremely knowledgeable and supremely patient. I've been to Moab a bunch of times for rock climbing and hiking, but this was my first time driving on terrain this challenging. The Broncos were definitely built for it!

Here are the basics. This may all seem obvious to some people but it was new to me. By the end of the day, it was all second nature though, so I could just drive around and have a great time without thinking too hard. Good times.

Lessons learned:
  • You have to have your foot on the brake to start it
  • To put it in 4H (or 4L or 2H) you first have to stop and put it in neutral
  • To mimic Baha mode, put in it 4H, then GOAT mode Sand, and turn off the rear locker
  • Trail turn assist is cool but almost unnecessary with the 2-door, which can make super-tight turns without it
  • Trail control is very useful going uphill, but keep in mind that if you hit the brake to slow it down, it readjusts to the slower speed
  • Trail control is also useful going downhill but the minimum speed is 1 mph so if you have to go really slow, don't use it
  • Front and rear lockers are useful going up super steep stuff, but as soon as they've done their job, release them
Videos (I have no idea why that "youtube kids" thing is embedded in this post but I can't get rid of it for some reason):

This was my first obstacle and the off-roadeo's first two-door, a Base trim with Sasquatch package in Velocity Blue. They had just gotten it in from Grand Junction the night prior, so this was its first off-roadeo too. The guides were trying to see whether the two-door could do some of the moves without locking the differentials, which the four-door Broncos had engaged in this section (front and rear, I believe). That's why I said, "I still have my lockers off." You can see it worked out just fine. [The videographer's finger got in the way for part of the video because he was walking uphill.)

Second obstacle. Going downhill was harder than going up but the guides were incredibly patient.

Turning the wheel the wrong way caused the Bronco to slip. Oops.

I finally got uphill figured out though.

Final downhill obstacle. The guide said "Absolutley not" because I asked him if I could just close my eyes and go down. Kidding, of course. Then he asked me to stop while he bounced the rear driver tire, which was off the ground, to see how stable the two-door was at this angle. This may look easy but there were some seriously deep divots swallowing up those 35s, as you can see by the wheels coming up off the ground.

https://www.youtubekids.com/

OP
OP
sjp

sjp

Base
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thanks. Those guides sure earn their money! What a terrific group of guys. This was my first time on truly technical terrain, and they made me believe I could do it - and I did!

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Imagine how much more she would have enjoyed it if she could get her first couple day reservation from Granger that @Ford Motor Company has chosen to give the shaft too, all while orders in the last few months are scheduled. I truly imagine how much she would have enjoyed her antimatter blue Bronco she SHOULD have gotten based on her timestamp. But now she can’t because she got hosed on that too.

But I’m glad you guys enjoyed the videos!

OP
OP
sjp

sjp

Base
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Imagine how much more she would have enjoyed it if she could get her first couple day reservation from Granger that @Ford Motor Company has chosen to give the shaft too, all while orders in the last few months are scheduled. I truly imagine how much she would have enjoyed her antimatter blue Bronco she SHOULD have gotten based on her timestamp. But now she can’t because she got hosed on that too.

But I’m glad you guys enjoyed the videos!
Agree. The allocation disaster left me furious, frustrated, and ready to give up. Many of us are in that same boat right now and wondering if and when Ford (not the Ford social media marketing person who posts in this forum, but the Ford CxOs who make all the decisions) will do the right thing and honor their promise to get us our Broncos in order of reservation timestamp (barring commodity constraints), instead of pandering to the big dealerships that wouldn't answer my questions or return my phone calls over a year ago, when I was trying to select a dealership I could trust - and landed on Granger.

Anyway, thanks to Granger and my experience at the off-roadeo, I'll be "hanging in there" a while longer. For now, I have my swag to keep me company. If the wait continues much longer, I may have to turn my gear room into a Bronco room.

Ford Bronco Moab Off-Roadeo 11/6/2021 - A Few Videos IMG_2663.JPG
Sponsored