First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger, 2021 Bronco BB, 2006 Saturn Vue
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The OP is one of many opinions. I would venture to say his opinion securely in the minority.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Very true, but stock vs modified isn’t always relative. A non-SAS Badlands Bronco is “stock” with front a rear lockers, a little lift and 33s. My XJ is moderately modified with no lockers and 33s, but it rock crawls better. Irregardless, that wasn’t my point. The point is the Bronco isn’t all that I hyped it in my mind to be. That doesn’t mean that I don’t still like it and plan to buy one.
I laughed once I got to 'irregardless'. I think that's my favorite fake word.

OP
OP
MoabRox

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Jeep XJs, Dodge M880, Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The OP is one of many opinions. I would venture to say his opinion is in securely the minority.
I never said otherwise.
I laughed once I got to 'irregardless'. I think that's my favorite fake word.
I’ll resist the urge to correct myself. Thanks for pointing out my lack of command of the English language. Did I say that right? :)

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I never said otherwise.

I’ll resist the urge to correct myself. Thanks for pointing out my lack of command of the English language. Did I say that right? :)
No you totally misunderstand. I legit love that word. It's not real, but I'll never stop using it. This is a joke in your favor, not against.

Sponsored

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Don't worry OP. I was one of the first to post about how the 2.7 wasn't up to my expectations and got slammed by all the blind Bronco fans. Sure enough, as time went on, others also posted about similar "minority opinions".

You juat aren't allowed to say anything negative about the Bronco without becoming the bad-guy.

As far as your Moab experience, I wonder is SAS made the difference? I had the wildtrak 4 door and the only time I touched, it was near the end of the day, I was tired and not paying attention, and it came off something and then "touched" pretty hard.

And also reminds me during the day I was using the lockers and climbing up and over everything. Thought it was a blast. But at one point I actually stopped using the lockers just to see and was surprised because the WT continued to go over everything without lockers. Now don't get me wrong, I use both front and back when you hit that staircase going back out, but generally speaking, with those high traction rocks, it really climbed well.

OP
OP
MoabRox

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Don't worry OP. I was one of the first to post about how the 2.7 wasn't up to my expectations and got slammed by all the blind Bronco fans. Sure enough, as time went on, others also posted about similar "minority opinions".

You juat aren't allowed to say anything negative about the Bronco without becoming the bad-guy.

As far as your Moab experience, I wonder is SAS made the difference? I had the wildtrak 4 door and the only time I touched, it was near the end of the day, I was tired and not paying attention, and it came off something and then "touched" pretty hard.

And also reminds me during the day I was using the lockers and climbing up and over everything. Thought it was a blast. But at one point I actually stopped using the lockers just to see and was surprised because the WT continued to go over everything without lockers. Now don't get me wrong, I use both front and back when you hit that staircase going back out, but generally speaking, with those high traction rocks, it really climbed well.
I know. Saying something negative is bad. Combine that with a comparison to a Jeep and it's unforgivably bad. Oh well.

From what I saw, I think that SAS made a big difference. I intentionally chose the Badlands with the 33s, both for the additional challenge and because I felt it would give me a better feel for what my 2 door Black Diamond will wheel like. Even with the smaller 33s, the 4 door Badlands can really wheel. With the sway bar disconnected and carefully picking my line, I walked it up that staircase without lockers. Hit that dumb cross brace and briefly spun a tire, but it climbed it pretty easily. There's no doubt the Bronco 6G can wheel, even rock climb, but it needs more ground clearance because I don't like constantly hitting the undercarriage and skid plates.

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Interesting about those frame braces, when I saw them on the bare frame in Moab I thought oh, that's nice, strong frame. I was a bit disappointed that my 2.3 wouldn't have them, now you make me feel better about that.

Ground clearance has been my one reservation with the Bronco, well and too much tech. IFS all have poor clearance at the front axle, since the entire width hangs to the height of the bottom of the diff. Ford does a good job tucking the trans and transfer case (opposed to my LJ TC which hung down like a set of gonads), but the plastic pan bothers me, roll a rock or tree branch and you could punch it, so I'll have to look for a skid plate. But skid plates cause their own problems reducing clearance by an inch or so. The fuel tank is ridiculous, hanging lower than the rear axle tube, but capacity is already minimal (in fairness newer Jeeps are the same). And...those rear suspension mounts, ugh, but I suppose they need them to get the articulation they do in the rear.

It is my habit to "map" the terrain in my brain and overlay a 'map" of my vehicle under side to pick a line. With the Bronco there are few clear paths to route and obstacle. My frame of reference is old Broncos and Bronco II's, which like your XJ, have lots of routes to pass a rock.

Last edited:

BR0NCO

Raptor
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Audi
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I haven’t been to an off-roadeo but this is what I imaging my experience would be like. I will be doing little, if any, off roading in mine. That’s what the Jeep is for. It will be a great daily driver

Al Cowlings

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Thanks for this feedback, OP. Seems spot-on. The Bronco is a worthy entry into the off-road/overland market. It is a true Wrangler competitor. Removable top. 2- and 4-door configurations. E-disco. 35s fitted from the factory. Nobody except Jeep was offering these things, in this space, prior to the Bronco. (The ZR2 was offering F/R lockers, so that doesn’t count.)

However, as you note, the Bronco isn’t some great leap forward. The primary way it’s different from the Wrangler is IFS vs SFA. The advantages of each have been argued to death. Buyers probably know what they want. Otherwise, the Bronco is simply a very strong entry into a market that desperately needed a competitor to the Wrangler. Heck, it has already made Jeep better with the introduction of the XR and 392. Long live capitalism.

OP
OP
MoabRox

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've had my 2 Door BD for just over a year now. It's lifted 1.5" (Bilstein 5100s) and has 33s on it. Still haven't done any serious rock crawling in it yet, but it's been more than acceptable for all the back country exploring/camping we have done. Overall the belly clearance hasn't been an issue, with only a few moderate hits. The one time I definitely wanted more clearance was when attempting a muddy wash crossing. I was dragging too much underneath the claw through the goo (super wet bentonite clay). Ended up backing out and taking another route. Mud tires may have made the difference versus the Falken AT3Ws.

Overall I'm really happy with it. I love the nimbleness of the 2 door, the 2.3L has all the power I want, and it's really fun to drive both on and off road. However, I've come to realize that a removable top and doors really isn't that important to me, as most of our adventuring is miles upon miles of back country exploring on dusty roads. Knowing what I know now, if I owned a 4Runner ORP, I wouldn't make the switch.
Sponsored