Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Wildtrak, 2021 F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Basically this ^

The manual says to run directly to battery fused on both lines near battery. I modified a little to accommodate multiple radios in future via fuse box.
In the Raptor running the ground to the battery is not recommended as it causes issues within the battery system causing faults, etc. No issues on the Bronco doing that?
Sponsored

OP
OP
mootruck98

mootruck98

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Nissan Titan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In the Raptor running the ground to the battery is not recommended as it causes issues within the battery system causing faults, etc. No issues on the Bronco doing that?
Guess I will find out. I haven't seen any faults yet. It is essentially just another load on the battery parallel with the factory electrical system. That isolation is another reason preferred for radio as typically has less "noise" on line that way. As long as the battery and alternator can provide the amperage needed for both loads it should be fine. Of course if too much load is added I could see issues and a need to upgrade battery or even go dual battery ( life goals). Then there is the 2 edge sword of an always on connection to the battery. My radio has an auto power off if I forget at least. Also I carry one of those battery jump packs, just in case.

Once I figure out how to bypass the ignition on an aux switch, I plan on adding a relay to control power coming in on that line, but like to be able to run radio without turning on vehicle.

Then again, this is my first install like this and the Bronco is new, so don't know what I don't know yet.

sgraing1

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond.A Bunch More Junk.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thanks for the write-up.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For the record Mississippi State was down 28-3 at one point to Auburn. WHO DAT! #FTF
They were able to came back to win 43-34! Clanga Clanga! #HailState
Thanks to State for whipping up on Aubarn; you know I always love when some boy makes my little sister cry. Ha ha! :D

Sorry if I missed you saying, but is the head unit above the dash a quick detach? I’m trying to figure where I’ll put my GMRS unit. Right now, I just use a Ham handheld, but would be nice to run both, you know, because both. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
mootruck98

mootruck98

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Nissan Titan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks to State for whippino up on Aubarn; you know I always love when some boy makes my little sister cry. Ha ha! :D

Sorry if I missed you saying, but is the head unit above the dash a quick detach? I’m trying to figure where I’ll put my GMRS unit. Right now, I just you a Ham handheld, but would be nice to run both, you know, because both. :)
You're welcome! Those kids are starting to figure out that Air Raid. We are going to be dangerous next year.

Not exactly quick disconnect, but not to far from it with RAM mount system. RAM has x grip mounts for phones / tablets if you want more of a quick connect.

RAM Mounts Tough-Ball with 1/4"-20 x .25" Threaded Stud RAP-B-379U-252025 with B Size 1" Ball

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AHCUNG2?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

RAM Mounts RAP-B-201U Composite Double Socket Arm with Medium Arm Compatible with RAM B Size 1" Ball Components

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0074WMQLS?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

HuddExpo Yaesu FTM-400 or FTM-300 1 Ball Mount for Ram Mount Systems
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08X6KNQFW?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Sponsored

RotorOver

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Wildtrak, 2021 F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Guess I will find out. I haven't seen any faults yet. It is essentially just another load on the battery parallel with the factory electrical system. That isolation is another reason preferred for radio as typically has less "noise" on line that way. As long as the battery and alternator can provide the amperage needed for both loads it should be fine. Of course if too much load is added I could see issues and a need to upgrade battery or even go dual battery ( life goals). Then there is the 2 edge sword of an always on connection to the battery. My radio has an auto power off if I forget at least. Also I carry one of those battery jump packs, just in case.

Once I figure out how to bypass the ignition on an aux switch, I plan on adding a relay to control power coming in on that line, but like to be able to run radio without turning on vehicle.

Then again, this is my first install like this and the Bronco is new, so don't know what I don't know yet.
Makes sense from a noise aspect. I think the issue on the Raptor isn't the load itself, but what the system thinks the load should be and it's not. I'm not sure how a frame ground makes a difference though. Well let us know how it goes and enjoy!

ICUGAZN

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I plan on mounting my GMRS mobile radio at some point. It's still in the box. When you ran the power and antenna through the FW grommet, was there a hole there are did you need to cut it? Also if so, what did you seal it with? Thanks.

OP
OP
mootruck98

mootruck98

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Nissan Titan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I plan on mounting my GMRS mobile radio at some point. It's still in the box. When you ran the power and antenna through the FW grommet, was there a hole there are did you need to cut it? Also if so, what did you seal it with? Thanks.
I had to cut it. Haven't sealed it as I plan on running at least 1 more coax through it. Seems to be fine as is though, holding fairly tight on the cables.

ICUGAZN

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had to cut it. Haven't sealed it as I plan on running at least 1 more coax through it. Seems to be fine as is though, holding fairly tight on the cables.
Thanks. Do you know what that little panel console below the Radio next to where your wires came out? I also notice that there was a panel like that on the back of the arm rest console on the passenger side.

OP
OP
mootruck98

mootruck98

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Nissan Titan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks. Do you know what that little panel console below the Radio next to where your wires came out? I also notice that there was a panel like that on the back of the arm rest console on the passenger side.
If we are talking about the same thing, that is a cover you can pop off to expose a bolt with a 7mm(?) head which holds the center console plastic on. I removed it to peak beneath when finding a place for the fusebox.

Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
What amazes me is that with all that tech on the dash, they dont put multiple radio types in it. Like i care if it know what my phone is doing. Much rather be able to communicate with it.

Deputy909

Outer Banks
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150, 2013 Traverse, 2007 Mustang Conv.
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Wondering why you did not bury the radio somewhere since the controls seem to be on the head unit.

OP
OP
mootruck98

mootruck98

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Nissan Titan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wondering why you did not bury the radio somewhere since the controls seem to be on the head unit.
That would certainly be a possibility perhaps under a seat. It would take some rerouting of cables obviously, and an extension on the control and mic cables. The speaker is still in the main unit so might need to remote an external speaker. Also I like where it is off the floor rather than under the seat in case I get some water on that wash out floor like it is designed for.

The final consideration is I like having some access to it as I might geek out and connect a laptop to it from time to time to do APRS mapping, or digital soundcard modes, etc...

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In my wife's Wrangler, I mounted the radio (Kenwood D710) on the firewall in the passenger footwell, then the head unit on the console. Don't know if there's enough room in the Bronco to do that, but it does keep it accessible but out of the way and you can still hear the speaker, although poorly. I do run a remote speaker for my primary frequency, then the stock speaker for secondary. Helps with discriminating between which frequency is active.

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great write up! Thank you so much. I'm planning to buy this exact radio so its helping a ton understanding whats involved here. It also makes me want to just use my handheld a while longer :D
Sponsored