Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Banned
Curious, anyone working on mods for our current turbos? Forget what’s replaced, but better quality parts so its still the stock unit on the outside, but newer and better parts for faster spool and less lag

just asking outloud
Sponsored

RubyRuin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would be more concerned with having the ability to tune first -- any changes to the turbo's spooling characteristics means the compressor mapping will change, which would require an adjustment of the fuel/air mixture of the ECU.

To your original question, CRP already does what you're looking for; they replace the compressor wheels on the OEM turbos as an upgrade.

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/3...st-crp-stage-3-54mm-upgrade-turbocharger.html

OP
OP
JoeSpeed

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Banned
That’s exactly what Im talking about!

By next year, our Horses will be beastly

OP
OP
JoeSpeed

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Banned
on our neighbor site, someone mentioned probably be too much power for stock. Doubt it, maybe the stick, but if anything, reinforce the block and get a better stick

some brave souls will test the limits before most of us anyway

Brnzbronc

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Stock 2.3 blocks can handle 500 horse reliably. The mustang crowd has been pushing the power on those 2.3 to 600+ hp after that you’ll have to do a 2.0 block swap. For some reason the 2.0 is more beafy around the cylinder sleeves on the back of the block but like one said ford has made it harder to tune their newer vehicles. I believe if you get a HP Tuner and find a reputable shop they can do it. Don’t waste your money on in line power adders like the jb4. All they do is add a couple psi of boost and fuel. The compressor wheel on the turbo is mapped to spool at low RPMS, the lag comes from foot pedal. If you pay attention to the the dyno numbers torque falls off pretty quick in the rpm range as well so going with a different turbo is going to change your torque curve from the lower rpm’s to the mid and higher rpms. So basically if your wanting to off-road and drive slow leave the turbo, if your trying to drive it like a mad man then get a bigger turbo

Sponsored

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I would just like someone to make a downpipe already. Can’t for the life of me figure out why I can buy 10 different exhausts but not a downpipe

OP
OP
JoeSpeed

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Banned
Stock 2.3 blocks can handle 500 horse reliably. The mustang crowd has been pushing the power on those 2.3 to 600+ hp after that you’ll have to do a 2.0 block swap. For some reason the 2.0 is more beafy around the cylinder sleeves on the back of the block but like one said ford has made it harder to tune their newer vehicles. I believe if you get a HP Tuner and find a reputable shop they can do it. Don’t waste your money on in line power adders like the jb4. All they do is add a couple psi of boost and fuel. The compressor wheel on the turbo is mapped to spool at low RPMS, the lag comes from foot pedal. If you pay attention to the the dyno numbers torque falls off pretty quick in the rpm range as well so going with a different turbo is going to change your torque curve from the lower rpm’s to the mid and higher rpms. So basically if your wanting to off-road and drive slow leave the turbo, if your trying to drive it like a mad man then get a bigger turbo
I was gonna wait on tuning, I wanna see wht else is available before I commit

I would just like someone to make a downpipe already. Can’t for the life of me figure out why I can buy 10 different exhausts but not a downpipe
@Fast Intentions Inc. is working on them as we speak, I dont understand why others aren’t though

I dont want a fart can, I want moar powa!

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I was gonna wait on tuning, I wanna see wht else is available before I commit

@Fast Intentions Inc. is working on them as we speak, I dont understand why others aren’t though

I dont want a fart can, I want moar powa!
Lol fart can, accurate AF description. More power for sure, I already get between 13-14.7 mpg with mine from current mods, so losing more Mpg isn’t really much of a concern. A downpipe would add instant, substantial hp gains so I’m looking forward to someone offering one.

2ata

Base
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Curr.: 2021 Ford Bronco; '77 924, '01 986, '02 911
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

K & N intake, just got a Whipple Intercooler, waiting on charge pipes from K&N

OP
OP
JoeSpeed

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lol fart can, accurate AF description. More power for sure, I already get between 13-14.7 mpg with mine from current mods, so losing more Mpg isn’t really much of a concern. A downpipe would add instant, substantial hp gains so I’m looking forward to someone offering one.
Id get one fabricated, but I ain’t got the money atm

definitely wanna downpipe and have the turbo internals worked on

Sponsored

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
K & N intake, just got a Whipple Intercooler, waiting on charge pipes from K&N
I have the K&N intake, charge pipes haven’t been installed yet and I hate that you have to remove the front bumper to install the intercooler. If I didn’t have a aftermarket bumper already installed I would get the intercooler. How do you like the charge pipes?

2ata

Base
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

@Dmorty217

waiting on pipes to arrive, they’re scheduled for delivery on Saturday.

if all goes to plan, Intercooler and charge pipes will go in on Sunday.

Last edited:

2ata

Base
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

@JoeSpeed

Whipple IC:
very solid, easy install. Kit eliminates the shutters over the IC,

K&N Charge Pipes;
Do not recommend. The coupler for the cold side piping does not fit on aftermarket Intercooler, more than half of the clamps are the wrong size and don’t match part numbers on the paperwork, pipes are not flanged leading to pop offs, one pipe deformed with flat spot.
Sponsored