Sponsored

Modifying/customizing the Bronco after purchase voids the warranty?

BamaBronc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Vehicle(s)
F150 and Edge
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So I just talked to one of the guys at Long Lewis Ford and he said modifying/customizing the Bronco after purchase voids the warranty! Is this legit or partially true? There are so many people here I can hardly get a minute with the guy.
Sponsored

Butzy

Base
First Name
Butzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 & bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

There are certain modifications that would void the warranty on any vehicle.

SillySpider

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Rubicon / 2017 JK Recon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If that is true, they will be sunk by Jeep. Usually parts that are added are not covered, and if aftermarket parts cause damage, then that could void the warranty, but if the issues are unrelated, you should be covered. Aside from that, when I bought my JKU, Autonation told me that the Jeep was covered up to either a 4 or 6 inch lift -I don't really remember, I just remember it was well above what I was planning anyway which was a 2.5" lift. It's expected and almost culture to modify vehicles like this -it would ruin the brand.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That is effectively false. Obviously th e new pets aren’t covered, and if they specifically cause damage to another component, then that component isn’t covered, but the rest of the warranty is unaffected. Don’t believe that crap in general...mod away.

Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If that is true, they will be sunk by Jeep. Usually parts that are added are not covered, and if aftermarket parts cause damage, then that could void the warranty, but if the issues are unrelated, you should be covered. Aside from that, when I bought my JKU, Autonation told me that the Jeep was covered up to either a 4 or 6 inch lift -I don't really remember, I just remember it was well above what I was planning anyway which was a 2.5" lift. It's expected and almost culture to modify vehicles like this -it would ruin the brand.
The Bronco will surely be just like any other car.

Upgrade your radio but the the fuel rail goes? Fuel rail replaced under warranty.

Upgrade your fuel pump but the fuel rail goes? Fuel rail warranty denied.

Same thing goes for everything else.

I’ve definitely gotten into conversations with service managers regarding warranty work on my modified Jeep. Every once in a while they try to draw some weak nexus to something I did. They usually fold after some pushback, but other times I just have to eat it because ultimately I can’t always prove it *wasn’t* my mod that somehow lead to the failure of something else bolted to it.

In any event, I think what some Ford employees may be worried about is all this talk about “customization” and they want to make sure that people don’t believe that every Amazon item a customer bolts on will be covered under Ford’s bumper-to-bumper.

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Warranties generally cannot be denied or revoked completely.

If you use aftermarket tuning software and blow your engine, the dealership can void the drivetrain warranty since it was tampered with. Same concept applies to the suspension - if you modify it, you can't expect the dealership to fix your new aftermarket suspension under warranty.

What won't happen is your entire warranty is written off because of modifications. The dealership may tell you this out of confusion or a mistake, but its not quite correct.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0138-auto-warranties-routine-maintenance

In short, they can refuse to honor warranty on parts from a third party that you've installed to modify your vehicle, or the systems they directly interface with if said aftermarket parts were found to be defective or caused damage to warrantied systems. Modifying your drivetrain will not void your warranty on the electronics, for example.

UberGadgetFreak

First Edition
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 FE Bronco 22 FE Mav, 23 Mav Tremor, 03 Marauder
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Magnusson-Moss Act is straightforward. Maintenance can be done by anyone. Mods can invalidate it if they can prove the mod parts were the cause. If they can't, then it should still be covered.

A55_CACTUS

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fv cars
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Make them do it and then sue them if it isn't good

Bronco2021RV

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura rdx
Your Bronco Model
Base
It is ALL up to the dealership your going to. Some are hard nose so far very fair. For the most part if you have a discussion with the service manager before you make changes to the vehicle in regards to those changes that you want to make to the vehicle you both will be on the same page. YES or nooooo

Sponsored

Judge Rufus

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Wheeler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti QX80, GMC Sierra, Mercedes SLK32 AMG,
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Pretty sure in our reservation agreements it clearly states that if you attach any license plate holder other than the Ford Performance Part license plate bracket then your warranty is completely void.

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Parts or tunes may result in a specific claim being denied if it caused the problem, the entire warranty can only be voided in specific listed circumstances (like using it for racing.) Theory is they have to prove it caused the failure, however in practice, they put the onus on the owner to prove it didn't (it is more than mildly difficult to prove a negative...). If you put a non-sanctioned tune on it and they catch you trying to cheat them out of a repair of the drivetrain (including joints, mounts, and the like), you may out of luck. A low end repair that the dealer might look the other way on is possible, but if you blow an engine or transmission, Ford will spend the extra to pull your PCM and inspect for other modifications that might have caused it. Below a certain dollar threshold, it isn't worth the expenditure for them to go over it with a fine tooth comb.

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
So I can't add aftermarket running boards because it will void the warranty?...:rolleyes:...

Beachin 74

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F-150, 2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So I can't add aftermarket running boards because it will void the warranty?...:rolleyes:...
If you use the wrong fasteners that don't play nice with aluminum and corrode the body, yes.

DaBronCo33

Base
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think it would depend on the mod and the problem. Obviously you can’t swap out the engine and then try to get it covered by the warranty if you have issues with it. But replacing your hard top shouldn’t void an issue with the tranny.
Sponsored