Sponsored

Modular bumper pocket lights tied into the existing headlight's automatic/operation system?

TX-Hans

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Escalade, '13 Jeep Wrangler, '21 Bronco FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Currently looking into options for lights to go in the pockets of the modular bumper (probably the BD system from 4x4TruckLED lights) and thinking about wiring them without using the uplifter switches and tapping into the existing headlight lighting system to piggyback on it. Make them more integrated into the automatic operation of the factory headlight system. But, will this work:

Driving/Combo - tie into headlights so the driving/combo lights operate when headlights are "on"
Wide Cornering - tied into headlights being "on" again (not sure if just for low beams or high beams or both)
Fog - replace dash headlight switch/module with the one that has foglight button and tie into the existing (but unused) fog light leads that have been discovered to be on the vehicle factory harness.

Will this approach work? Is it ill advised?
Sponsored

Last edited:

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You’ll find a lot of info you are looking for HERE.

The Wide Cornering S2s aren’t SAE. I use them on dark backroads, etc. But might piss some people off if they’re on regularly with headlights.

OP
OP
TX-Hans

TX-Hans

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
The Wide Cornering S2s aren’t SAE. I use them on dark backroads, etc. But might piss some people off if they’re on regularly with headlights.
Thanks. Looked into that more to make sure we don't blind oncoming folks and saw some info on @4x4TruckLEDs.com that BD had a Clear SAE or Amber SAE option for the wide cornering pair. Will either have to go with those or perhaps with the Diode Dynamics.

Will look more closely at the fog light switch thread to see if there is some detail on wiring the driving/combo light pair and the wide cornering light pair directly to the switching for the headlights. Had previously read a couple pages to get the gist on replacing dash light control switch with one that has the OEM fog light button but didn't read the whole thing for other info.

jh3113

Black Diamond
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks. Looked into that more to make sure we don't blind oncoming folks and saw some info on @4x4TruckLEDs.com that BD had a Clear SAE or Amber SAE option for the wide cornering pair. Will either have to go with those or perhaps with the Diode Dynamics.

Will look more closely at the fog light switch thread to see if there is some detail on wiring the driving/combo light pair and the wide cornering light pair directly to the switching for the headlights. Had previously read a couple pages to get the gist on replacing dash light control switch with one that has the OEM fog light button but didn't read the whole thing for other info.
I don't blame you. It's hard to parse through the 24 pages of that thread to find the info you're looking for. I tried the other day and didn't really come to any conclusion of what specfifically to do for my vehicle in order to add working the factory fog buttons. I know you need to at least buy the new switch, be ready to swap in Forscan, and also have a wiring harness available for power. Specific part numbers beyond that I haven't figured out just yet

OP
OP
TX-Hans

TX-Hans

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I don't blame you. It's hard to parse through the 24 pages of that thread to find the info you're looking for. I tried the other day and didn't really come to any conclusion of what specfifically to do for my vehicle in order to add working the factory fog buttons. I know you need to at least buy the new switch, be ready to swap in Forscan, and also have a wiring harness available for power. Specific part numbers beyond that I haven't figured out just yet
For the fog lights, I think it'll be dive into it once I get the OEM light switch with fog button, find and wire to the existing (but unused) factory fog light wires and make the changes in Forscan.

What I'd like to find out in advance is for the Driving/Combo light pair and the Wide Corning light pair, can I power these by taping into the power wires for the factory headlights so that the Driving/Combo pair and the Wide Cornering pair come on and turn off in conjunction with the factory LED headlights being turned on and off (whether manually or automatically)? Has anyone tried it with success? I suppose I could do trial and error to find out but hate to start cutting into the existing headlight wiring to find out.

Sponsored

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm not the light police but would recommend that lights that are integrated with the headlights should be legal on road lights. There are a growing handful of companies making lights that meet all DOT regulations.

This is especially important for low beam applications. When running high beam I suppose you can run just about any thing you want. But when you go to low beam you need to be within the specs. Now go have fun!

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Oh, I don’t think everything you’re looking for is in that thread. Just a jump. Definitely will need some Forscan integration.

Allenm7

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Where you able to tie them to auto headlight function?

Fly by Nite

Base
First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 F-150 Nite, 2001 Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

What I'd like to find out in advance is for the Driving/Combo light pair and the Wide Corning light pair, can I power these by taping into the power wires for the factory headlights so that the Driving/Combo pair and the Wide Cornering pair come on and turn off in conjunction with the factory LED headlights being turned on and off (whether manually or automatically)?
You could install a relay that is tapped into the headlights. The relay would turn 'on' when headlights are on. Power for the aux lights would come from another source, maybe through the upfitter switches.
Advantages:
A relay tapped into the headlight circuit would draw far less power than the aux lights would.
Powering the aux lights through an upfitter switch also allows extra control to turn the aux lights off with headlights on.

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Currently looking into options for lights to go in the pockets of the modular bumper (probably the BD system from 4x4TruckLED lights) and thinking about wiring them without using the uplifter switches and tapping into the existing headlight lighting system to piggyback on it. Make them more integrated into the automatic operation of the factory headlight system. But, will this work:

Driving/Combo - tie into headlights so the driving/combo lights operate when headlights are "on"
Wide Cornering - tied into headlights being "on" again (not sure if just for low beams or high beams or both)
Fog - replace dash headlight switch/module with the one that has foglight button and tie into the existing (but unused) fog light leads that have been discovered to be on the vehicle factory harness.

Will this approach work? Is it ill advised?
What trim do you have? The general consensus is if you have the front parking sensors the fog lights plugs are already there. Behind the plastic covers on the mod bumper. If I put any thing there I also want road legal. I have plenty of lights already for off road.
Sponsored