Sponsored

Modular Painted Hardtop - Is it still happening in 2023?

Last Ride Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan pup
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
If my memory is correct, Ford announced MIC 2.0 and the firing of Webasto after corrections were made. I believe that Ford was going to take over their own top making from Webasto. That information seems to have gone down a rabbit hole.
Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If my memory is correct, Ford announced MIC 2.0 and the firing of Webasto after corrections were made. I believe that Ford was going to take over their own top making from Webasto. That information seems to have gone down a rabbit hole.
My memory says that Ford canned the manufacturer of the painted hardtop (name never disclosed) which was a different company from Webasto. I would tend to believe taht all MICs are still manufractured by W.

Even IF Ford does ever offer the painted top I am 99.99% certain that it, just like a MIC through accessories, will be unavailable to any of us and only to new orders for whatever model year they release it. Yes, if you are a staunch holdout and still waiting on an order spec'd out with the painted top, you might see one in your lifetime, but your dealer will be pressing you to convert and get your unit built and sold so that they can get another. Allocations have sone sort of tie to units sold.

Baja71

Badlands
First Name
tw
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Stroppe Baja Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Webasto is building a second manufacturing facility. I don't think they're going anywhere anytime soon.

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
After living with the factory soft top for a bit, Iā€™m sure that I would only use the hard top for November through early April in MN. I prefer the ease of the flipping the soft top open during the warmer months and after next year, will be wintering in southwest Florida for 7 months each winter. At that point, I have zero use for the hard top so Iā€™ll likely put it up for sale. Iā€™m pretty sure the demand will still be sky high for a Ford OEM hard top in 18 months. :)

Last Ride Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan pup
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Webasto is building a second manufacturing facility. I don't think they're going anywhere anytime soon.
You are probably correct, but something happened when they stopped everything for a while and addressed the inferior 1.0 tops. Maybe it was that Ford demanded that Webasto allow the Ford people to come in and get everything organized.

Sponsored

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Strange....20 posts in this thread, and about 10 in one other....basically, has everyone forgotten the Modular Painted hard top? I haven't. Originally ordered one, I deprecated to the soft top to get my bronco. But still want one. Ford.

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I doubt we'll hear anything until the 2023 Ordering Guide is out.

I imagine Ford adding HOSS 3.0 as an option for the Wildtrak reduced the incentive to get the Modular top available as a priority - as that was one of the few things that made the Wildtrak distinctive - so it wouldn't surprise me if it slipped to 2023.5.

BottleShark

Badlands
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nautilus, Samurai, 12v Dodge, Fiero, Karma Ghia
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did they ever post up pictures of it? Does it look different?

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

There hasn't been a peep about it anywhere since about 2 years ago. Like Ford assumes the 10,000 that downgraded to the soft top will be happy keeping it forever. But no soft top lasts on a convertible more than about 5 years around here. I want the painted, white, hard top to be my long-term solution.

gwiacek

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford flex awd ecoboost
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I dont know what to hope for anymore, I was one of the people like you said that downgraded to a soft top just to get my vehicle. But people here still complaining on the quality of the MIC tops there getting now from the dealer. If the painted tops come from webasto, who knows how they could screw those up, my guess paint would start peeling. Like you said I also was hoping to get some version of the painted one, black or body color.

Sponsored

Wolfpack

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Ford Bronco XLT 5Spd, 2002 Honda S2000
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Hopefully they start production soon. Everyone mod top is spoken for by a order holder. There are a lot of people waiting in 99 status. Hopefully they don't lock it behind a special edition that's late availability.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Can't even buy a MIC 2.0 wiylthout a vehicle attached. I am still hopeful for the painted modular but will be same way. No top without a $50k top carrier attached to the bottom of it.

I am only a half day drive to MAP, would go to have it installed by the factory

shieldsy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I bet they donā€™t make Job 1.

Victoryengineer

Raptor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kubota 7040, Polaris 570, Victory MC, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a painted hard top. Webasto may be building a second plant but as we've all seen, the MIC 2.0 isn't perfect either. Until they get all the bugs ironed out of the standard top I doubt Ford will even consider starting on painted tops.

In the mean time.......you can get a one piece or multi-piece fiberglass hard top from ADV ready to be painted: https://www.advfiberglass.com/products/2021-2022-ford-bronco-hardtop

Looks like they cost less than the OEM as well.

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've been saying this for almost a year, I don't see the mod top ever happening. Feel bad for all those early res/early order folks who 99 their order. Just another group of bronco customers they let down.
Sponsored