Sponsored

Mold on the Soft Top? Or something else?

JRod Ford

Black Diamond
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Ford Explorer Sport Trac
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hey All,
I have just over 2k miles on my 4dr black diamond, that I picked up the beginning of December. I wash the bronco almost as much as I take showers, but I also live in Oregon on a farm, so it's just the way I try to keep it new. I also don't have a garage, so it stays outside in the rain. I haven't scrubbed the inside of the soft top, because I haven't opened it up or even really got dirt inside. I've washed out the floors 2x with warm water, but dried it right after too. That mud comes out so easy. Just went to check on it this morning and noticed this white substance on the seams over the cargo area. It looks kinda like mold, but seems almost crusty when I touch it. It's not very thick, but seems like I'd have to scrub pretty go to get it off. Any ideas or suggestions?

I did attach a couple pictures of it in the snow, just for some context of what it's been through.

20220111_152946.jpg

20220111_152927.jpg

20220111_152902.jpg

20211227_083636.jpg

20211227_083617.jpg

20211227_083557.jpg
Sponsored

JAC

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Toyota Tundra; 2020 Acura RDX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm in the PNW as well. Just looked at my soft top - have the same white "dust". It's only on the side windows and only on the threads. I don't believe it's mold - I think it could be a wax coating o the thread used on the side widows. I don't see it on the back. not sure your location - I've had snow and lots of rain and mine sits outside as well. I wiped/brushed it off and I'll look again in a few days.
In all my life - any mold I've seen that wasn't organic as in grows on food - has been darker in color almost black. Don't think it's mildew either as that's usually greenish in color.

I'm watching this thread and will post again in a few days.

OP
OP
JRod Ford

JRod Ford

Black Diamond
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Ford Explorer Sport Trac
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm in the PNW as well. Just looked at my soft top - have the same white "dust". It's only on the side windows and only on the threads. I don't believe it's mold - I think it could be a wax coating o the thread used on the side widows. I don't see it on the back. not sure your location - I've had snow and lots of rain and mine sits outside as well. I wiped/brushed it off and I'll look again in a few days.
In all my life - any mold I've seen that wasn't organic as in grows on food - has been darker in color almost black. Don't think it's mildew either as that's usually greenish in color.

I'm watching this thread and will post again in a few days.
I searched all the threads too, just to see if anyone else had something similar. Couldn't find anything. I'm in Stayton. I know it's wetter on this side of the mountains. Thank you!

PNWbroncoFam1977

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 4Runner, 97 Montero, 2016 F150 Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It almost looks like salt creep. With all the salt that is put on the roads here in the PNW I would imagine that road spray would be getting on the top and the residual salt is simply creeping through the fabric. Anyone with a salt water fish tank knows exactly what im talking about.

Sponsored

PNWbroncoFam1977

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 4Runner, 97 Montero, 2016 F150 Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Kimberley

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Going to be keeping an eye out on mine now, cold, snowy, icy, salty here and my backyard is a mountain. I have a garage but since this is my daily driver it is parked out in the elements in a ski town all day at work.

JAC

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I searched all the threads too, just to see if anyone else had something similar. Couldn't find anything. I'm in Stayton. I know it's wetter on this side of the mountains. Thank you!
I'm just north of you in the portland area - Clackamas county.

JAC

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It almost looks like salt creep. With all the salt that is put on the roads here in the PNW I would imagine that road spray would be getting on the top and the residual salt is simply creeping through the fabric. Anyone with a salt water fish tank knows exactly what im talking about.
Oregon (Portland area) is not super hot on salting the roads. Think it is used only in extreme emergencies (at least in our location)

Not sure what WA does. - It's possible you're right - but in looking at the location and the lack of residue on the back window which sees more weather and road grime.... I don't know.

I'll keep watching mine and see what's up. Not super worried about it at the moment.

BigBendBW

Heritage
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Hey All,
I have just over 2k miles on my 4dr black diamond, that I picked up the beginning of December. I wash the bronco almost as much as I take showers, but I also live in Oregon on a farm, so it's just the way I try to keep it new. I also don't have a garage, so it stays outside in the rain. I haven't scrubbed the inside of the soft top, because I haven't opened it up or even really got dirt inside. I've washed out the floors 2x with warm water, but dried it right after too. That mud comes out so easy. Just went to check on it this morning and noticed this white substance on the seams over the cargo area. It looks kinda like mold, but seems almost crusty when I touch it. It's not very thick, but seems like I'd have to scrub pretty go to get it off. Any ideas or suggestions?

I did attach a couple pictures of it in the snow, just for some context of what it's been through.

Ford Bronco Mold on the Soft Top? Or something else? 20211227_083557

Definitely keep us posted. It’s a nice looking BD!

Sponsored

Fixajet

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F150 / 2021 EcoSport
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hey All,

I work in the aircraft industry and have seen this occur on headliners of multi-million dollar business jets. Moisture can cause the chemicals that the headliner is treated with (usually a flame retardant) to leach out and when dried create white powder residue, very similar to what you are seeing. Just my two cents worth.

Kimberley

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Did anyone figure out what this is yet? I now have this on my soft top after almost 4 months. Did not notice anything throughout the winter (I do park in a garage at night) but I have washed it a couple times this past month hand wash but used a power washer this last time and am hoping it is not mold.

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model