Moose Test

Bentone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I’m set on the new Bronco to supplement an aging Wrangler Unlimited. While the Wrangler is great around town and on the beach, it can be downright scary on the highway. And while I’m sure the Bronco (with full time 4wd optioned) is going to be a huge upgrade no matter what, the question is *which* Bronco will handle best on paved roads?

Bottom line is that—while I appreciate and require off-road capability—I do put a premium on protecting my family where an accident is most likely to happen. So for all you suspension experts our there, what’s most likely to keep me upright when a moose/deer/idiot suddenly appears at 80mph: the Black Diamond with 32” or the Badlands with 33” and Bilsteins?
Sponsored

JT1

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Willys
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m set on the new Bronco to supplement an aging Wrangler Unlimited. While the Wrangler is great around town and on the beach, it can be downright scary on the highway. And while I’m sure the Bronco (with full time 4wd optioned) is going to be a huge upgrade no matter what, the question is *which* Bronco will handle best on paved roads?

Bottom line is that—while I appreciate and require off-road capability—I do put a premium on protecting my family where an accident is most likely to happen. So for all you suspension experts our there, what’s most likely to keep me upright when a moose/deer/idiot suddenly appears at 80mph: the Black Diamond with 32” or the Badlands with 33” and Bilsteins?
The difference in tire size is negligible. Specs say the 285/70 is an inch taller, it isn't. I went through both sizes on my wrangler, the width is noticeable, but the 285's were only about 3/8ths of an inch taller. The 4 door with its longer wheelbase will be less roll over prone in emergency avoidance situations, though.

OP
OP

Bentone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Great intel, thanks JT. I am also considering going to the 18” wheel from the OBX in order to get a lower profile tire (especially if the dealer will let me do a partial swap at purchase).

Last question, with respect to Badlands suspension, is there consensus on how much height (rollover risk) it adds over Black Diamond?

JT1

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Willys
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great intel, thanks JT. I am also considering going to the 18” wheel from the OBX in order to get a lower profile tire (especially if the dealer will let me do a partial swap at purchase).

Last question, with respect to Badlands suspension, is there consensus on how much height (rollover risk) it adds over Black Diamond?
I wouldn't consider height as the only factor in that equation. Roll stiffness may be more important. The compliance required for offroad work makes for less precise handling. I'd guess that the squatch/badlands bilsteins out of their bypass zone are stiffer than the black diamonds, so during extreme maneuvers, it may be slightly more stable.

OP
OP

Bentone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I wouldn't consider height as the only factor in that equation. Roll stiffness may be more important. The compliance required for offroad work makes for less precise handling. I'd guess that the squatch/badlands bilsteins out of their bypass zone are stiffer than the black diamonds, so during extreme maneuvers, it may be slightly more stable.
Thanks, that was also my assumption (in layman’s terms) and also based on anecdotal personal experience with Bilsteins. Glad to hear someone else reason that the more sophisticated suspension likely offsets increased ride height.

It’s looking like Badlands for me. Sorry, I know this isn’t the sexiest thread but gives me and hopefully others some peace of mind.

Sponsored

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

unless you're in freight liner or similar size vehicle, hitting a moose at 80 mph will result in the moose in the passenger compartment.

rollover is a second order issue at that point.

Crimpcap

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model Y, Honda G1 Insight
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
SInce 2013 new vehicles come with electronic stability control systems (ESC). These systems help mitigate rollovers. The Bronco will come with ESC tuned to pass the FMVSS 126 standard. The difference in performance between Bronco trims is probably very small as they all must pass FMVSS126 standard. Changing tires and wheel sizes can change the efficiency of the ESC system making the vehicle less stable.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP

Bentone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
unless you're in freight liner or similar size vehicle, hitting a moose at 80 mph will result in the moose in the passenger compartment.

rollover is a second order issue at that point.
Yep, goal is high speed avoidance—steering around the “moose” without causing an uncontrollable skid, rollover, skid, etc. The Bronco won’t come close to something like a Cayenne or X5 in that situation, but I’m betting it will do better than the Wrangler!

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think OP was referring to this “Moose Test”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moose_test
i love this portion:

in reality, the test is rather constructed to simulate, for example, a reversing car or a child rushing out onto the road.

as-a-moose-strike-test-for-that-inline1-1533063804.jpg

The moose is common in Sweden, Norway, Finland, northern Russia, Canada, and Alaska, but does not appear in Denmark or Germany. Because of its heavy weight and tall legs, collisions with moose are particularly dangerous for the persons in a car.

The Swedish National Road and Transport Research Institute has developed a moose crash testdummy called "Mooses". The dummy (which is made with similar weight, centre of gravity and dimensions to a live moose) is used to recreate realistic moose collisions.

=====================
the 'mooses' test involves an actual collision.
Sponsored

Last edited: