Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 6 Fords
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Is there any downside to the calibration kit? I'm trying to figure out why Ford wouldn't just have this tune come from the factory and advertise the higher HP. I saw in this thread it comes with a 3 year / 36k mile warranty if you get it through the dealer. Is it maybe the type of thing that doesn't harm your engine in 36k miles, but does turn your 300k mile engine lifetime into 150k mile?

My closest experience is I researched getting the TRD Supercharger kit back when I had a 99 Tacoma. It was covered under factory warranty but I decided against it when I learned it required using premium gas instead of regular. I was fine with a reduced MPG but the double hit of reduced MPG + more expensive gas was too much for an upgrade that was already unnecessary.
My view on this is this.... More HP and TQ out of this engine will come at the expense of less efficiency and the requirement of premium fuel. I don't believe it is aggressive enough to damage your engine prematurely.
Sponsored

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Did anybody at Ford proofread the accessory guide? šŸ˜‚ I canā€™t decide between the mesh top or the mesh top. šŸ¤”
Gonna have to order them both and return the one that doesnā€™t fit.

On another note, does the retractable top cost $1,000 because of materials or complexity? I have a feeling if they didnā€™t over price it, they wouldnā€™t be able to make enough of them.

Ig_bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

all those mods šŸ˜“šŸ˜“šŸ˜“ I just want a turbo upgrade for the 2.7

Sponsored

UberGadgetFreak

First Edition
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 FE Bronco 22 FE Mav, 23 Mav Tremor, 03 Marauder
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Is there any downside to the calibration kit? I'm trying to figure out why Ford wouldn't just have this tune come from the factory and advertise the higher HP. I saw in this thread it comes with a 3 year / 36k mile warranty if you get it through the dealer. Is it maybe the type of thing that doesn't harm your engine in 36k miles, but does turn your 300k mile engine lifetime into 150k mile?

My closest experience is I researched getting the TRD Supercharger kit back when I had a 99 Tacoma. It was covered under factory warranty but I decided against it when I learned it required using premium gas instead of regular. I was fine with a reduced MPG but the double hit of reduced MPG + more expensive gas was too much for an upgrade that was already unnecessary.

I have a 2016 Mustang 2.3L EcoBoost with the kit for that one (that came with the ProComp software, USB to OBD Adapter, and the CAI, all installed and tuned by a Ford Performance Parts authorized dealership). The biggest reason is that it messes with fuel economy and performance and Ford tries to meet certain requirements for retail-sold vehicles. Once the kit went on mine, anything less than 91 octane and it gets grumpy, plus my mileage went down a tad (not a whole lot though, maybe 1-2mpg highway at most), and it made first gear nearly useless unless you like smoking tires.

Zenithon

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Dodge Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No. This is one of two styles for the winch mount that have been around since the very begging beginning.

Ford-Bronco-Trail-Rig.jpg

Here is the other, but I don't think we've every actually seen it on a real vehicle. Only renders.

winch.png
I have read that these winches interfere with the front camera pretty bad. I almost ordered mine with a winch, but thought I should wait to see how important that front camera is to me and to see if there is a solution for a winch in after market that wont interfere with the camera. Ultimately I will most likely get a winch of some sort regardless of the camera, but you would think that ford would have designed the camera placement so a winch wouldn't interfere with it.

airishfan

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I was thinking about adding the skids plates but not sure they are worth the price I might wait for aftermarket plates like to know what other think

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have read that these winches interfere with the front camera pretty bad. I almost ordered mine with a winch, but thought I should wait to see how important that front camera is to me and to see if there is a solution for a winch in after market that wont interfere with the camera. Ultimately I will most likely get a winch of some sort regardless of the camera, but you would think that ford would have designed the camera placement so a winch wouldn't interfere with it.
Hereā€™s the camera view with the winch installed:

Ford Bronco More 2021 Bronco Accessories Revealed 1618827904020

Sponsored

Zenithon

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Dodge Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hereā€™s the camera view with the winch installed:

Ford Bronco More 2021 Bronco Accessories Revealed 1618827904020
Thanks for the photos. That's pretty bad. It amazes me with all the thought and research that went into this thing, this problem slipped through the cracks. I have to think an aftermarket solution will have to be coming that will at least improve it some. Hopefully!

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the photos. That's pretty bad. It amazes me with all the thought and research that went into this thing, this problem slipped through the cracks. I have to think an aftermarket solution will have to be coming that will at least improve it some. Hopefully!
Iā€™m willing to bet this is a textbook lesson on why diversity in a team is important.

I can absolutely see the technology team working hard in one room, and the off-road experts working hard in another... and neither realizing that what they were working on was going to impact the other.
Sponsored