Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ok so I am going to be "that guy" here.

No offense flip, but I have covered this a year ago so we can call what the Bronco has correctly. It has even been mention in some videos I have watched.

One correction here, it is NOT technically a "strut". It is a coil over. which is a shock with a coil spring "over" it. Hence the name coilover.

A "strut" is an integral part of the suspension. It does the job of the upper control arm by locating the upper part of the knuckle.

"Technically" Ford is the most accurate. "shock absorber assembly" because that is what it is.

This is a "strut" suspension.

1623358117424.png

THIS is a coil over suspension.

1623358162519.png

As you can see there is a BIG difference. In a coil over it only has to support the vehicle and dampen the bumps. It is a shock with a coil spring over it. It does NOT locate the upper part of the knuckle. That is the job of the upper arm.

I just want the B6G community to understand what it is they have.

F-150 Coil over, Explorer strut.
As someone who’s significantly more knowledgeable about solid axles vs IFS thank you for this clarification, I’d wondered about the difference but never looked into it.
Sponsored

amccue90

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We don't know the specifics of anything else that may be different between the two, but I'm sure takeoffs will be available from BL owners wanting to go with a lift kit, so it's just a matter of time before that question is answered.
What about BL owner mall crawlers like me, might be looking to lower to regain some aerodynamics and agility...

And yes I'm the one who's discussed removing skid plates and other stuff for DD weight savings, only to put back on for offroad planned trips

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
11 spring types. wow that is more then I thought there would be. But it shows how the ride for each trim level has been set for the different market that model is aimed at.

I wonder how much these change the handling of each trim model like BD vs. BB.

Sponsored

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What about BL owner mall crawlers like me, might be looking to lower to regain some aerodynamics and agility...

And yes I'm the one who's discussed removing skid plates and other stuff for DD weight savings, only to put back on for offroad planned trips
No problem. You could then take the takeoffs from the person buying the other takeoffs and that should hopefully work as well. That clear? Lol

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

You're only talking about a couple tenths of an inch, maybe 2/10th's, that will not change the aerodynamics and agility in any significant way.

Aviationtech101

Base
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback
Your Bronco Model
Base
We don't know the specifics of anything else that may be different between the two, but I'm sure takeoffs will be available from BL owners wanting to go with a lift kit, so it's just a matter of time before that question is answered.
Im thinking the front a rear control arms may also be different.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I intentionally didn’t post the pics to avoid menutia. Sorry I over thought it.
Don't get me wrong flip I think it is great that you are posting the info. I just want those in B6G to know what it is they have and call it by the correct name.

I work in a 4WD shop and have customers who have NO clue what anything is and it is VERY difficult to explain it to them so they understand. Calling things by their proper name is a good start.

So one good example is wheel offset and backspace. These two things are NOT the same but people think they are. In other words you can't say all +55 wheels are all 6" backspace.

Tires are another thing that is the same way. Everyons classifies 285"s as 33's but nothing is further from the truth because the 285 is the width in MM. Has NOTHING to do with how high the tire is.

Things in vehicles are complicated and when one knows what they are talking about it is easier to understand them and explain differences to them.

So. if you look my name is redneck. That means when you use big words I have to Google them to know what they are. 😁

Ford Bronco More 2021 Bronco Suspension Info & Part Numbers: Standard, Special and High Ride 1623366095634

At least I think that is the word you were trying to use because menutia is a song. 😁

So you may consider this "trivial" , but in my eyes it a HUGE difference in performance and durability.

You will more than likely destroy a strut style suspension if you try to take those whoops like the Bronco does.

Sponsored
OP
OP
flip

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Don't get me wrong flip I think it is great that you are posting the info. I just want those in B6G to know what it is they have and call it by the correct name.

I work in a 4WD shop and have customers who have NO clue what anything is and it is VERY difficult to explain it to them so they understand. Calling things by their proper name is a good start.

So one good example is wheel offset and backspace. These two things are NOT the same but people think they are. In other words you can't say all +55 wheels are all 6" backspace.

Tires are another thing that is the same way. Everyons classifies 285"s as 33's but nothing is further from the truth because the 285 is the width in MM. Has NOTHING to do with how high the tire is.

Things in vehicles are complicated and when one knows what they are talking about it is easier to understand them and explain differences to them.

So. if you look my name is redneck. That means when you use big words I have to Google them to know what they are. 😁

Ford Bronco More 2021 Bronco Suspension Info & Part Numbers: Standard, Special and High Ride 1623366095634

At least I think that is the word you were trying to use because menutia is a song. 😁

So you may consider this "trivial" , but in my eyes it a HUGE difference in performance and durability.

You will more than likely destroy a strut style suspension if you try to take those whoops like the Bronco does.
I’m not trying very hard tonight so I must do better with my spelling and correct part descriptions. You win.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I’m not trying very hard tonight so I must do better with my spelling and correct part descriptions. You win.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Not trying to win ........ just inform.

amccue90

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You're only talking about a couple tenths of an inch, maybe 2/10th's, that will not change the aerodynamics and agility in any significant way.
My life is defined by the insignificant.

But base height compared to badlands height (excluding tire difference) only 1/5 if an inch? Now I have to use the search function...

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

My life is defined by the insignificant.

But base height compared to badlands height (excluding tire difference) only 1/5 if an inch? Now I have to use the search function...
I was quoting the difference in the coilovers, not tires.

amccue90

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was quoting the difference in the coilovers, not tires.
Right, so are you saying the rest of the height difference is all tires?

.2" plus tires equals overall height lift in badlands
Sponsored