Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There is no way that .2” “estimate” is right for the diff between Badlands and base...4WP says you have to trim for 33s, and there is no way Ford cut it that close (only .2” between stock tire height rubbing on Badlands.). People have consistently measured more than that too, although I understand that’s a hard thing to measure accurately.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

There is no way that .2” “estimate” is right for the diff between Badlands and base...4WP says you have to trim for 33s, and there is no way Ford cut it that close (only .2” between stock tire height rubbing on Badlands.). People have consistently measured more than that too, although I understand that’s a hard thing to measure accurately.
You are very likley correct, but in the vacuum of information I took my best SWAG (scientific wild-ass guess).

What do you think it should be, .4"?

Last edited:

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You are very likley correct, but in the vacuum of information I took my best SWAG.

I would think in that ballpark somewhere. I think people have measured it around .5-.6”.

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

You are very likley correct, but in the vacuum of information I took my best SWAG (scientific wild-ass guess).

Don't want to jump in midstream...but didn't we collectively decide, until better info surfaces, that Badlands suspension is .55" taller than base and Squatch is 1.1" ?

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Don't want to jump in midstream...but didn't we collectively decide, until better info surfaces, that Badlands suspension is .55" taller than base and Squatch is 1.1" ?
I mainly followed the Badlands to Sasquatch discussions, Ford has confirmed multiple times there is a 10mm/.4" difference betwern those.

If you and @Gamecock think the Base to Bandlands is .5"-.6" then I guess that is the story for now.

However, if true, that means @Dads_bronze_bronco is grossly off on his scaled coilover drawing which he started from the parts catalog pics, and I do not believe he is mistaken. You can see he scaled with equivalent sized mounting bolt patterns and that is why my SWAG is .2".

1621694750231-png-png-png.png

Papa Smurf

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco WT. ‘23 Maverick. Hybrid. '23 Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Here’s a crazy thought… what if the uncompressed height of the 3 levels of suspension really are within 0.2” but when placed under load, the base compresses more proportionally than the BL or SAS suspensions to give them a higher “lift”. Seems possible to a dummy like me. Internet, prove me wrong…

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Here’s a crazy thought… what if the uncompressed height of the 3 levels of suspension really are within 0.2” but when placed under load, the base compresses more proportionally than the BL or SAS suspensions to give them a higher “lift”. Seems possible to a dummy like me. Internet, prove me wrong…
That is an excellent, resonable assumption, thank you.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ok so since you guys have whipped up this illustration I will just highjack it to make a point here.

The ugly green arrows I inserted show the lower spring perch. This distance is different in the two shocks as well. The non res shocks have a "lower" spring perch as those models do not have as much travel and/or lift height.

This is where the spring rests. The the top plate bolts to the stud on the top of the shock and is also the perch for the top of the coil.

spring perch.jpg

Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I was gonna bring up the whole "strut"comment. But I think the point has been made..😀
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I know I can be a bit over the top sometimes. I grew up with Carburetors, leaf springs, and solid axles.

Had to teach myself about IFS, EFI, and coil sprung suspensions.

Virtual-Chris

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Isn‘t the most significant difference between SAS and non SAS, the removal of the front and rear crash bars in the front wheel wells? It would seem the major issue with the bigger tires on SAS is not lift height or other suspension issues, but rubbing at full lock on these frame elements.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Redcobra

Outer Banks
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Expedition, 2020 Escape, 1970 Galaxie XL Conv
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You haven't lived until you've experience the dreaded super duty "death shake".
That's definitely a GM product there buddie!

Redcobra

Outer Banks
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Expedition, 2020 Escape, 1970 Galaxie XL Conv
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Bronco suspension:

FRONT:
3 different types- Standard, Special and High Ride

11 different spring part numbers, same 11 for all three types. (only 5 are active in the parts system, prices range from about $88.00-$120.00 each)

Standard has 3 shock choices: Big Bend, Outer Banks, Base #6, WildTrak #7 or 4 door Black Diamond or 2 door Black Diamond

Special has 2 shock choices: 2 door or 4 door

High Ride has 2 shock choices: 2 door or 4 door Big Bend, Black Diamond, WildTrak #7, Outer Banks, Base #6, Preferred Series, Badlands

REAR:
3 different types-Standard, Special and High Ride

6 different spring part numbers, same 6 for all three types. (all 6 are active in the parts system, prices range from about $147.00-$165.00 each)

Standard has 3 shock choices: 2 door WildTrak #7, Base #6, Big Bend, Outer Banks or 4 door Big Bend, WildTrak #7, Outer Banks, Base #6 or Black Diamond

Special has 2 shock choices: 2 door or 4 door

High Ride has 1 shock choice: 4 door Big Bend, Black Diamond, WildTrak #7, Outer Banks, Base #6, Preferred Series, Badlands

This was taken from the MicroCat, on-line parts catalogue. The part descriptions are accurate with the exception Ford calls the two door a 3 door and a four door a 5 door. I changed those to not add additional confusion. Shocks are technically “struts” but Ford calls them a, “Shock Absorber Assembly” so I’m going to use the term shock which is universally known as a suspension dampening device. If a specific VIN was used to look up these parts, it would (should) know the correct part for that application since it uses a version of historical vehicle bill of materials provided by Ford.

Spring descriptions appear to use the engineering number which would most likely be a tag attached to the spring itself. If using a VIN, the system should be able to pick the correct one or at least narrow it down to a couple of choices. No other specifications (coil heights, number of coils or coil diameters) are in the catalogue descriptions.

I'm not going to speculate on what "Preferred Series" means.

Front spring part numbers: MB3Z-5310-A,B,C,D,E,F,J,K,L,M,N

Front Shock: STD-MB3Z-18124-A,B,C Special-MB3Z-18124-D,E High-MB3Z-18124-J,K

Rear spring part numbers: MB3Z-5560-A,B,C,D,E,F

Rear Shock: STD-MB3Z-18125-A,B,C Special-MB3Z-18125-D,E High-MB3Z-18125-K
HI Flip I went thru all the part numbers, thank you BTW, and cant find 2 dr Sasquatch rear Bilsteins? I found the fronts new part number is
Shock Absorber Assembly - Ford (MB3Z-18124-BA)Replaces MB3Z-18124-D but only found rears for 4 doors. Can you help out?
I have been looking for take offs but all I can find are 4 doors with 2.7 automatics and I have a 2 door 2.3 Automatic OBX. Trying to see if any match up to my vehicle, but the spring rates on the 4 doors are a bit heavy for my vehicle I think. I am not an expert. Would rather do the SAS shocks and gain and inch or so in height for my new take off SAS wheels, then do a 2" puck lift if I can help it. Also the rear ride quality suffers with the 35's and stock suspension. You feel everything.
Thanks
Sponsored