Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F150 Lariat, '04 F150 Lariat, '73 F100 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Just another reason why we need to move chip production stateside. Besides it being an inconvenience, it's a national security issue.
Yep, stateside by foreign companies .Korean company that purchased DuPont technology just expanded in good ‘Ole Detroit with superior silicon carbide chips.

SK Siltron CSS, a subsidiary of South Korean conglomerate SK Group, is investing more than $300 million to quadruple its real estate footprint in Michigan with a 250,000-square-foot plant near Bay City, Mich.

The company bet big with its $450 million purchase of DuPont’s silicon carbide business in 2020. In the two years after the acquisition, the EV industry has increasingly pivoted away from traditional silicon for high power applications to silicon carbide, which transfers electricity more efficiently and improves range — the top concern of most EV makers.
The industry shift means SK Siltron CSS is sitting on a potential gold mine of silicon carbide and cannot build capacity quickly enough, said CEO Jianwei Dong, who worked for DuPont before the acquisition and helped facilitate the deal.
“We are sitting on top of a once-in-a-century paradigm change,” Dong said on a media tour of the plant in Auburn and the site under construction eight miles to the east. “It took us more than 20 years to get to where we are today.”

The company hosted a visit Wednesday with U.S. Trade Representative Katherine Tai and South Korea Trade Minister Yeo Han-koo to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the Korea-U.S. Free Trade Agreement and show off its new 250,000-square-foot plant, expected to be operational next month.

“As you all know, recent chip shortages have negatively impacted auto manufacturing that resulted in a sudden spike of the automobile crisis,” Yeo said at the event. “SK Siltron’s facility will go a long way reinforcing stability and resilience of the US semiconductor supply chain.”
Sponsored

gryphon1231

First Name
dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

The real not talked about crisis with chip product. The Ukraine is the #1 producer of neon gas in the world. #2 is Russia. Neon gas is used in the production of chips/wafers. It is not going to get better if more chip plants come online and they can't get neon.
Forget Broncos, we’ll be back to driving a horse buggy like the Amish before long.

NevadaDesertExploration

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Forget Broncos, we’ll be back to driving a horse buggy like the Amish before long.
Speak for your self buddy. I live in Nevada I’ll have a real life Bronco 😁

Tteape0

Outer Banks
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Outer Banks 4 Dr
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Sounds like there might be a short term blip at worst. All factories will be back to full production by the 23rd. And they supply chips to more than just Ford.

Sponsored

CodaMojo

Wildtrak
First Name
Coda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 EG Wildtrack, 2014 Ford Escape, 2010 350z
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

CodaMojo

Wildtrak
First Name
Coda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 EG Wildtrack, 2014 Ford Escape, 2010 350z
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

At least we're not getting shot at while waiting in line to get food or rebuilding our homes because an earthquake/tsunami took out our house. The chip thing is miniscule in comparison. Life is all about perspective .....
Your right. We should have been making our chips here in the USA instead of overseas. Another notch for corporate greed. 🤷‍♂️

dbeyers

Base
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Don’t know if it’s chip related or not, but there are a lot of broncos, particularly badlands, and including mine that are stuck “in production” with ETA’s getting pushed out and zero updates on why. Mine was “produced” on 3/9, modules popped, 4 digit tear tag, yet ford says it’s still in production and not released for shipping. My ETA was 3/30- now being told it’s finished build date is 3/30 and then it’ll be moved to awaiting shipment status. Many in the build week before mine are seeing the same. So if it’s not waiting on chips, what’s it waiting on? It’s obvious that all the parts are not available on certain trims when they start building.
Yep - my guess is they are prioritizing keeping the line running and adding the few late arriving parts as they can. This doesn't bother me ... most of these parts seem plug and play and a few months in the elements are not an issue for me. IMHIO - it's an appliance, not a shrine.

FYI - I am early res and no VIN ...

Sponsored

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hell, I've quit worrying about all this crap. It doesn't do me any good, because I can't change a thing. I've resigned myself to the fact that "I may get my Bronco, and I may not".

Ford Bronco More bad news regarding chips meatballs

bigedizzle

Black Diamond
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge st and a 2017 Fiesta st
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I hope I will one day get my 21my 2 door amb blk dmd non sas 2.7. It has been on the mountain since 12-10-21 now eta is 5-1-22........... Yay Bronco

ocbucks1

Outer Banks
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyta
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I saw something very interesting that made me feel very lucky that we got our Bronco and it only had a week+ stay on Ice Mountain.

Apparently Taiwan makes the world's most microchips, but in order to do so, they rely on elemental Neon to do so - of which, 50-70% of the global supply comes from Ukraine. Which has completely ceased production in the face of the brutal Russian invasion and war. So, eventually, they will not have the material needed to make microchips - for cars or anybody else.
Taiwan makes a lot of chips but not for the auto industry. Autos are a 10% of chips and those are 75% made in this Japan factory mentioned here. They are adding US supplies. Ford purchased a supplier in the US last year. The neon is used in the parts in the chip factory not the chips themselves. There is not going to be an impact for a while on neon.
Also for the earthquake shutdown it’s at least a 4 month order process so this impact is out a few months too.

widnere12

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Hell, I've quit worrying about all this crap. It doesn't do me any good, because I can't change a thing. I've resigned myself to the fact that "I may get my Bronco, and I may not".

Ford Bronco More bad news regarding chips meatballs
True
Sponsored