Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The newly posted Accessory catalog lists this brake controller:
https://accessories.ford.com/module-trailer-brake-vm2dz-2c006-a.html#2021/Bronco

As there's no pictures or any meaningful information about it I did some searching around and saw that this part number (VM2DZ-2C006-A) is shared with the Ranger and found some good info on the Ranger Forums:
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/ford-licensed-tbc-install-instructions.5971/page-2

The TL;DR is basically its a Redarc Tow-Pro Elite with an additional module that ties into the center high mounted stoplight for a brake light activation signal and then sends that back to the controller. Why? The lights are PWM driven so just tapping into the lighting as-is won't give an on/off state. The other reasoning is just tapping into the brake pedal activation switch isn't adequate as the vehicle can automatically apply the brakes in emergency braking and collision avoidance situations. If these systems are engaged and generally when they are its in conditions in which you really really want to stop, you won't have trailer brakes without this.

Granted with only a 3500lb tow capacity trailer brakes are kind of a discretionary thing so I could see why not a whole lot of priority was put on a TBC. Personally I think this is a super janky aftermarket derived solution that Ford stamped their blessing on and marked it up. Disappointing considering other Ford TBC's are wonderfully integrated into the vehicles CAN bus and work exceptionally well.
Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

https://accessories.ford.com/module-trailer-brake-vm2dz-2c006-a.html#2021/Bronco

As there's no pictures or any meaningful information about it I did some searching around and saw that this part number (VM2DZ-2C006-A) is shared with the Ranger and found some good info on the Ranger Forums:
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/ford-licensed-tbc-install-instructions.5971/page-2

The TL;DR is basically its a Redarc Tow-Pro Elite with an additional module that ties into the center high mounted stoplight for a brake light activation signal and then sends that back to the controller. Why? The lights are PWM driven so just tapping into the lighting as-is won't give an on/off state. The other reasoning is just tapping into the brake pedal activation switch isn't adequate as the vehicle can automatically apply the brakes in emergency braking and collision avoidance situations. If these systems are engaged and generally when they are its in conditions in which you really really want to stop, you won't have trailer brakes without this.

Granted with only a 3500lb tow capacity trailer brakes are kind of a discretionary thing so I could see why not a whole lot of priority was put on a TBC. Personally I think this is a super janky aftermarket derived solution that Ford stamped their blessing on and marked it up. Disappointing considering other Ford TBC's are wonderfully integrated into the vehicles CAN bus and work exceptionally well.
I did my own research on this recently, and I thought what you linked to is what must be done if you donā€™t have the factory tow package.

If you do have the factory tow package, itā€™s a straight plug-and-play harness....

Iā€™ve been known to be wrong before.

Let me see if I can find my notes.

In the very least, the thread you linked to spoke highly of an older version, and then a more recent commenter stated the got one and itā€™s different now. Perhaps a 2021 update? No posts after that to really tell if it was that different.

Last edited:

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wouldnā€™t think it could tow enough to need a trailer brake
Haha. Your username is literally ā€œflatlanderā€.

Youā€™re not wrong... for the vast majority of use cases a TBC will never be needed on the Bronco... but for people who are coming down steep grades often, or looking to push the Broncoā€™s tow rating, it can be a nice option.

Last edited:

Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ā€˜05 LJ & ā€˜17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have the Redarc tow pro elite now and will be installing in the Bronco. Wouldn't have it any other way. And yes, having a brake controller in my case whether it be behind my f150, wifeā€™s grand cherokee or the Bronco is a must.

flatlander40

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Haha. Your username is literally ā€œflatlanderā€.

Youā€™re not wrong... for the vast majority of use cases a TBC will never been needed on the Bronco... but for people who are coming down steep grades often, or looking to push the Broncoā€™s tow rating, it can be a nice option.
You are correct! I am definitely used to long straight flat roads LOL

I am also used to towing with a pickup, not an off-road vehicle. I definitely see your point

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ā€˜05 LJ & ā€˜17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You are correct! I am definitely used to long straight flat roads LOL

I am also used to towing with a pickup, not an off-road vehicle. I definitely see your point
Last thing I want while crawling over rocks and a steep descent is my trailer pushing the tow vehicle or off a shelf road. Yes I have a fully capable truck to tow and offroad, but there are times that a smaller more nimble offroad suv is better suited. On the highway, would rather not have the trailer pushing the Bronco down I-70 as we exit the Eisenhower tunnel.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

A trailer brake controller on a vehicle with a 3,500# tow capacity seems a bit unnecessary. Although, it will be safer if you're towing regularly. Boat trailers have surge brakes, although horse trailers have electric brakes. A car carrier trailer with electric brakes will be over the 3500# capacity when loaded with most vehicles . . . if i wanted to tow, I'd keep my F150. But, i guess its good to have an electric brake option. I had one on my 1976 International Scout for occasionally hauling a horse trailer.

robepa

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2006 Tacoma, 2020 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am really excited that Redarc is the factory solution! I use the Redarc for towing with my Tacoma and a ~2,500 lb trailer. I can say it makes a significant difference for me. My Tacoma is rated to 6,800 lbs but it also has rear drum brakes...

Looking at the Ranger install guide I hope Bronco doesn't have to do all that crap, on Tacoma and 4Runner it only has to be plugged into the pigtail under the dash.

Sponsored

Woodwalker

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was assuming that the tow package would come with a break controller. Is that wrong? If it is wrong then the tow package is a huge rip off for just a hitch.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

tow package includes the plug/play harness to add the brake controller, without the tow package you have to do all the wiring. This is how its been on Fords for a really long time that have a tow package with no brake controller from the factory.

robepa

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2006 Tacoma, 2020 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not just Fords, Toyota and most vehicles as well in my experience. Some full size trucks come with it I believe.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was assuming that the tow package would come with a break controller. Is that wrong? If it is wrong then the tow package is a huge rip off for just a hitch.
Tow package includes:

Class II, 2" receiver.
Wiring Harness with 4 and 7 Pin Connectors.

Brake Controller is *not* included, but the documentation states that the Brake Controller "requires factory tow package" which we've interpreted to mean that the factory package includes the additional wiring... which makes sense, considering the presence of the 7-pin connector.... meaning the brake controller is plug-and-play under the dash... vs having to run all these wires to the rear of the vehicle.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here's some good information, including wiring harness data from one of the other threads on this very topic:

Click on the username to jump directly to that discussion.

Here are a couple of drawings of the brake controller wiring. The brake signal does not come from the brake switch like in the old days it is coming from the Body Control Module. So BPP ( Brake Pedal Position ) signal may not be a off/on 12VDC signal. But Ford does include a pigtail.
2.jpg

Bake Plug Under Dash.jpg

Pigtail.jpg

3.jpg
Ford Bronco More info on the factory accessory Trailer Brake Controller 2
Ford Bronco More info on the factory accessory Trailer Brake Controller Bake Plug Under Dash
Ford Bronco More info on the factory accessory Trailer Brake Controller 3
Sponsored

Last edited: