Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Tow package includes:

Class II, 2" receiver.
Wiring Harness with 4 and 7 Pin Connectors.

Brake Controller is *not* included, but the documentation states that the Brake Controller "requires factory tow package" which we've interpreted to mean that the factory package includes the additional wiring... which makes sense, considering the presence of the 7-pin connector.... meaning the brake controller is plug-and-play under the dash... vs having to run all these wires to the rear of the vehicle.
Thanks
Sponsored

t_bucket

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU 2016 F150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

A trailer brake controller on a vehicle with a 3,500# tow capacity seems a bit unnecessary. Although, it will be safer if you're towing regularly. Boat trailers have surge brakes, although horse trailers have electric brakes. A car carrier trailer with electric brakes will be over the 3500# capacity when loaded with most vehicles . . . if i wanted to tow, I'd keep my F150. But, i guess its good to have an electric brake option. I had one on my 1976 International Scout for occasionally hauling a horse trailer.
Agree in normal conditions you probably don't need the brake controller. I currently tow my off-road teardrop with my jeep, which I added brake controller. The teardrop is only like 2000 lbs tops, but when you are out on rugged dirt roads, you do not what the trailer starting to push you. I use the trailer brakes a ton to help control the trailer in rough conditions. This add on will go on my Bronco immediately.

JTBros

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GR Corolla
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just how hard is it to add in an aftermarket brake controller and wiring if you go aftermarket? I was hoping to get a class III hitch (while not exceeding the towing limits) as I'd like to tow a small boat in the future. Typically see boats in the 17'-19' range with trailers that have trailer brakes.

t_bucket

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU 2016 F150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Just how hard is it to add in an aftermarket brake controller and wiring if you go aftermarket? I was hoping to get a class III hitch (while not exceeding the towing limits) as I'd like to tow a small boat in the future. Typically see boats in the 17'-19' range with trailers that have trailer brakes.
Check the trailer, boat trailers often have surge brakes that do not need a controller

PNWB2

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX4 Supercrew
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm about to install one of these in my Ranger. With it's 7.5K tow rating, I was quite disappointed it was not integrated into the dash like my previous F-150. It's definately a bit involved, but do-able. Should have been fixed with the Bronco coming out (and next gen Ranger). The manual says you can't tow more than 1,400 without a controller, so even at 3.5K rating, its required.

Sponsored

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

"Granted with only a 3500lb tow capacity trailer brakes are kind of a discretionary thing"

This is incorrect, many states require supplemental braking on trailers weighing 1500lbs or more, my state does, and as someone who tows thousands of miles a year I find many others do as well. Granted if you have a heavy tow vehicle it may not seem to be needed, but if you have ever had a trailer jackknife on you in an emergency braking situation you might change your mind. And this leaves out the possibility of an insurance claim being denied due to lack of required safety equipment. The last thing you want to see while panic braking in a curve is your trailer passing you by, and this is made worse by towing with a short wheelbase vehicle. Better to be safe.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Agree in normal conditions you probably don't need the brake controller. I currently tow my off-road teardrop with my jeep, which I added brake controller. The teardrop is only like 2000 lbs tops, but when you are out on rugged dirt roads, you do not what the trailer starting to push you. I use the trailer brakes a ton to help control the trailer in rough conditions. This add on will go on my Bronco immediately.
That makes alot of sense, i hadnt thought of how to tow trailers off road! I was thinking of using bronco in normal towing on HWY. I learned something new here! And the gentleman who brought the issue up, said he was towing motorcycles which are also light. And if he's Towing dirt bikes on a trail I can see as you suggest that having brakes on a trailer will help keep it from getting ahead of a car on uneven Terrain.

BulldogBuck

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a couple of questions since I am a novice when it comes to towing. All I am ever going to tow is a small landscape utility trailer. Either 4'x6' or maybe 5'x8'. So the max weight will be approximately 2000lbs fully loaded. I'm assuming these trailers come with brake lights and turn signals.

1) Does this trailer come with surge brakes similar to boat trailers? If not, do I need some supplemental brakes and a brake controller for it?
2) If I go with the factory hitch does it come standard with the necessary connector adaptor for the lights?
3) If I decide to forgo the factory hitch and install one myself, does the lights adaptor tie into one of the brake lights that I saw on a video for a Jeep installation?

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Check the trailer, boat trailers often have surge brakes that do not need a controller
When purchasing a boat, you should be able to upgrade to surge brakes for about $500, last I knew.

JTBros

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GR Corolla
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Couldn't find the exact make and model of the trailers I've been eyeing but it seems like they are 5-pin and only issue is making sure surge brakes don't lock up when reversing. And avoiding that seems easy enough by getting a 4-pin to 5-pin adapter. Thanks for the info.

Sponsored

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Couldn't find the exact make and model of the trailers I've been eyeing but it seems like they are 5-pin and only issue is making sure surge brakes don't lock up when reversing. And avoiding that seems easy enough by getting a 4-pin to 5-pin adapter. Thanks for the info.
Hydraulic Surge Brakes do not require any electrical connection, they use the braking force of the tow vehicle, so only trailer lights need be connected (and on a boat I always unhook the flat four prior to launching).

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was assuming that the tow package would come with a break controller. Is that wrong? If it is wrong then the tow package is a huge rip off for just a hitch.
A brake controller is almost always optional, even with the towing package.

Dro

Wildtrak
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4 Door Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
With this brake controller and considering all other factors, would you guys tow 4,000lbs or so?

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am really excited that Redarc is the factory solution! I use the Redarc for towing with my Tacoma and a ~2,500 lb trailer. I can say it makes a significant difference for me. My Tacoma is rated to 6,800 lbs but it also has rear drum brakes...

Looking at the Ranger install guide I hope Bronco doesn't have to do all that crap, on Tacoma and 4Runner it only has to be plugged into the pigtail under the dash.
Yep, installed the redarc in wife’s grand cherokee and took all of 15min and that was removing the panel, making the pigtail connection, cleaning the wiring up and drilling a hole for the dial.

jjack50

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 VW Jetta TDI, 2016 F350 4WD Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

With this brake controller and considering all other factors, would you guys tow 4,000lbs or so?
The max rating is 3500lb so no one should tell you they will tow more than that. At least not in writing.
Sponsored