Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a couple of questions since I am a novice when it comes to towing. All I am ever going to tow is a small landscape utility trailer. Either 4'x6' or maybe 5'x8'. So the max weight will be approximately 2000lbs fully loaded. I'm assuming these trailers come with brake lights and turn signals.

1) Does this trailer come with surge brakes similar to boat trailers? If not, do I need some supplemental brakes and a brake controller for it?
2) If I go with the factory hitch does it come standard with the necessary connector adaptor for the lights?
3) If I decide to forgo the factory hitch and install one myself, does the lights adaptor tie into one of the brake lights that I saw on a video for a Jeep installation?
1. A small trailer like that will typically come with lights on a 4-pin but no brakes. With no additional info than what you shared, I would not worry about adding trailer brakes.

2. Factory tow package has hookups for both 4-pin and 7-pin connectors.

3. If you decide to add the hitch after the fact, you’ll need to also add the connectors. Adding a 4 pin is considerably easier than 7, and there may be an aftermarket harness that plugs in line with your rear tail lights on the Bronco eventually. If it’s any more complicated than that it will require running wire and splicing into the factory wiring harness somewhere. For people with experience and who feel comfortable, it’s often cheaper to do it themselves after the fact... but the hassle of it, especially if you want the 7-pin connector, is enough for me to just pay to have the factory do it.
Sponsored

BulldogBuck

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
1. A small trailer like that will typically come with lights on a 4-pin but no brakes. With no additional info than what you shared, I would not worry about adding trailer brakes.

2. Factory tow package has hookups for both 4-pin and 7-pin connectors.

3. If you decide to add the hitch after the fact, you’ll need to also add the connectors. Adding a 4 pin is considerably easier than 7, and there may be an aftermarket harness that plugs in line with your rear tail lights on the Bronco eventually. If it’s any more complicated than that it will require running wire and splicing into the factory wiring harness somewhere. For people with experience and who feel comfortable, it’s often cheaper to do it themselves after the fact... but the hassle of it, especially if you want the 7-pin connector, is enough for me to just pay to have the factory do it.
Thank you ZD. I'm a '22 due to the dual tops so I have plenty of time to decide but I'll probably end up going with the factory hitch.

NotaVegetarian

Badlands
First Name
Nota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1978 Bronco, 1979 Bronco, F250 Super Crew
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Really I just want a receiver hitch for other uses than towing. I will use it for lift mount. I want to be able to slide a portable crane into the receiver. My back is not like it was when I was 30, the yeti 65 full of ice and drinks is very heavy
Sponsored