Sponsored

More Jeep people thinking about getting the Bronco?

Cbr954

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm a Jeep guy. I had nothing but Jeeps for twenty years. I really didn't care for the JK so I never bought one.

Then the JL came out. I had every intention of buying a 2019 but then issue after issue. I rented one for four days to try out. Within five minutes I was ready to take it back because of the horrendous loose steering. I kept it for the full four days and loved everything about it except the steering.

I will not consider buying one at this point. Their "fix" for the steering in many instances doesn't do a damn thing. That coupled with the electronic issues, frame welds, and now the manual transmission issues, has me waiting for the Bronco.

My current daily driver is a 2008 Ford Edge with 223,000 miles. It is the first Ford I have ever owned and has been ball bat reliable. That good experience has also influenced my decision.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Nearly every time I see “Jeep” in this thread, it goes like this, “to compete with the Wrangler, the Bronco has to...(fill in the blank).” Compete? I don’t think so. IMHO, I do not believe Ford can compete with the Wrangler nor do I believe it wants to. Ford is (hopefully) in this to win. Think of it in these analogous terms; it’s a baseball game, Ford vs Jeep. Jeep is up 2 to 1 in the ninth, with Ford batting in the bottom half of the inning. Not only does Ford have to score a run to tie (that’s called “competing”), it has to score another run to win. That should be team Ford’s objective. To draw customers, and Jeep guys like me (I’ve also driven Fords: my ‘19 Ranger, an ‘01 Sport Trac, a ‘98 Ranger, and five work Crown Vics), Ford is going to have to offer us a Bronco with most of the “Jeep things,” like removable tops and doors, off-road chops, easily modifiable and add-on parts (in the driveway), the “fun factor,” the looks, PLUS...that extra “run” to win. Something else that is enough to get us over the fence and on to the other side. It’s probably not going to be good enough to just build a “Ford version of the Wrangler,” that’s not a winner, that’s a “tie.” And a tie is like kissing your sister.

Then what is that extra “run” that draws not only the ‘novice’ buyer, but also entices current Wrangler owners? I do not know, but I suspect it will not be one thing. Rather a combination of things like price, power, specifications, options, accessories, ease of modifications, curb appeal, etc. We could have the “Mustang vs Camero” discussion here, but this is more than that. This is actually serious. The upcoming generation seems less brand loyal than their parents. Ram overtook the Ford F-Series last year for customers under the age of 35. Can Bronco follow a similar path vs Jeep? Can it also convert some percentage of the current masses of Wrangler owners? Let’s face it, the 800 pound elephant in the room is the Jeep Wrangler and with all due respect to everyone on this Forum, I have generally not seen here what it will take for Ford to get a Jeep owner out of their Wrangler and into a Bronco other than those few disgruntled owners and a few others, like me, excited to try something new, assuming its a winner! And that’s the rub.

Last week, I bought a new 2019 Wrangler Mojito MOAB for the wife. Why? Because she sees my Jeeps and all the other Jeeps on the road and she wanted one (she also owns a three-pedal ‘10 Dodge Challenger Hemi in Furious Fuchsia - think Panther Pink). How is Ford going to get women like her into the Bronco? For that matter, how many folks on this Forum will eventually go buy the Wrangler and why (other than the delay factor)? We can dream and speculate all we want, but Ford actually has to sell this vehicle to keep it in production. And to do that, I believe they need to do more than compete, they need to produce a clear and convincing winner.
Well said Steve, and I agree. At my age (more years behind me than in front of me) I decided to buy a new JLU last year, drive it until the Bronco hit the lots, and trade. But, after a year in with the Jeep I now understand it when they say "it's a Jeep thing". With nearly 15K miles in, and the ability to go dang near anywhere it will fit has me 2nd guessing my initial plans. I do hope Ford hits a home run as I've been a Ford guy for long time. If they do I could still go with plan "A", but plan "B" is always a viable option.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Everytime I look at this threads title I wonder if Mahindra is the one making the BrAnco!

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Well said Steve, and I agree. At my age (more years behind me than in front of me) I decided to buy a new JLU last year, drive it until the Bronco hit the lots, and trade. But, after a year in with the Jeep I now understand it when they say "it's a Jeep thing". With nearly 15K miles in, and the ability to go dang near anywhere it will fit has me 2nd guessing my initial plans. I do hope Ford hits a home run as I've been a Ford guy for long time. If they do I could still go with plan "A", but plan "B" is always a viable option.
My take on that is Bronco has to hit every feature and strong point of the Wrangler , but do it better. Wrangler is the benchmark and Bronco has to knock it out of the park to gain a large slice of the pie.

Sponsored

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My take on that is Bronco has to hit every feature and strong point of the Wrangler , but do it better. Wrangler is the benchmark and Bronco has to knock it out of the park to gain a large slice of the pie.
I still think you guys might be missing the point here. People who want Jeeps for what they can do is more like the 1%ers. The other 99% more or less mod up their Jeeps cuz they look cool, but never see more than a little mud puddle behind the school.

So with that said, what does Ford really need to do for a slice of that pie? Maybe nothing more than make it look good, easy to mod, ride better and maybe if we are lucky, a stronger engine than the Jeeps.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So with that said, what does Ford really need to do for a slice of that pie? Maybe nothing more than make it look good, easy to mod, ride better and maybe if we are lucky, a stronger engine than the Jeeps.
Exactly; For 98% of buyers, it just needs to be able to navigate the speed bumps at the mall. This is the same with all off road vehicles, most never go off road.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I still think you guys might be missing the point here. People who want Jeeps for what they can do is more like the 1%ers. The other 99% more or less mod up their Jeeps cuz they look cool, but never see more than a little mud puddle behind the school.

Its about bragging rights mostly. Still has to do it though.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

And I have to agree with you also Greg. The Jeep Wrangler "Mall Crawler" Edition is by far the best seller Jeep has. The other 1 - 2 % use their's to the fullest. Mine isn't a rock crawler by no means, but if I see a side path I want to check out it's 4 wheel drive time. The other 95% of the time mine is just another every day driver. If Ford can hit that niche they will be fine, and the Bronco will be a hit.

danzy55

Base
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2003 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
From a solid Jeep owner of 8 Wranglers and now a 2020 Gladiator.......please Ford launch it. Can't wait to see the final product! FCA needs some competition, and who knows maybe a Bronco will be in my driveway.

Sponsored

ChrisKz

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've owned Wranglers since the '97 when they went back to the round headlights. I've always loved the iconic Wrangler. My current one is a '16 JKU. I'd consider making a switch to a Bronco if it can check off some boxes for me.

This spring I put in a Bestop Sunrider for Hardtop on. I absolutely love it. I've owned both hard top and soft top Jeeps and prefer the security of a hard top and love the convenience of flipping the Sunrider back and enjoying the open air. To get me to switch I'd want something like that as an option. I have kicked around the idea of a new Jeep with their power retractable top but depending on the trim level, it's about a $4,000 option. I'll take $800 for the Bestop. I would be shocked if there aren't factory or aftermarket products that are similar. Bottom line, there needs to be a convenient way to enjoy open air driving.

I'm kinda tall, at 6'4" and the sight lines out of the Wrangler, especially when pulling up to a traffic light, are horrible. I guess I should be happy my head doesn't hit the roof like it does in many vehicles, but I'd like to see out of the vehicle too.

Being a bigger guy, the Wrangler seats aren't very comfortable. They feel too narrow. From the brief googling I'd done, the Bronco is expected to be about 4" wider than the Wrangler. Hopefully that translates into wider seats.

I do take my Jeep up to Silver Lake State Park (shores of Lake Michigan) and out on the dunes but I don't do hardcore off roading. I'm sure for my needs, I'd be happy with the off roading capabilities of the Bronco.

I LOVE the look of the Raptor. A Bronco version will help sell many vehicles.

Depending on the length and cargo capacity with the rear seats up and folded, I'd like to go with a 2 door. I currently have a 4 door Jeep but it was purchased when I hauled more people. It's not a requirement these days and for easier urban parking, cost, gas milage, I'd prefer a 2 door if there is sufficient cargo space - More than the 2 door Jeeps have.

Probably won't be an issue but I need to haul a tandem kayak. Accessories for cargo are a must.

There doesn't feel like there has been any innovation with the Jeep in a long time. There are more bells and whistles but new ones have skyrocketed in price. My '16 to the '20 in the same trim level, same options is over $10,000 more. To get me to consider switching, the cost of a Bronco would have to be a fair amount less than a similarly equipped Wrangler. When I price out a Ranger, I don't mind the numbers so I'm optimistic.

Broncotrax

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Bronco, '17 Superduity, '22 Badsquatch, CR 250R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nearly every time I see “Jeep” in this thread, it goes like this, “to compete with the Wrangler, the Bronco has to...(fill in the blank).” Compete? I don’t think so. IMHO, I do not believe Ford can compete with the Wrangler nor do I believe it wants to. Ford is (hopefully) in this to win. Think of it in these analogous terms; it’s a baseball game, Ford vs Jeep. Jeep is up 2 to 1 in the ninth, with Ford batting in the bottom half of the inning. Not only does Ford have to score a run to tie (that’s called “competing”), it has to score another run to win. That should be team Ford’s objective. To draw customers, and Jeep guys like me (I’ve also driven Fords: my ‘19 Ranger, an ‘01 Sport Trac, a ‘98 Ranger, and five work Crown Vics), Ford is going to have to offer us a Bronco with most of the “Jeep things,” like removable tops and doors, off-road chops, easily modifiable and add-on parts (in the driveway), the “fun factor,” the looks, PLUS...that extra “run” to win. Something else that is enough to get us over the fence and on to the other side. It’s probably not going to be good enough to just build a “Ford version of the Wrangler,” that’s not a winner, that’s a “tie.” And a tie is like kissing your sister.

Then what is that extra “run” that draws not only the ‘novice’ buyer, but also entices current Wrangler owners? I do not know, but I suspect it will not be one thing. Rather a combination of things like price, power, specifications, options, accessories, ease of modifications, curb appeal, etc. We could have the “Mustang vs Camero” discussion here, but this is more than that. This is actually serious. The upcoming generation seems less brand loyal than their parents. Ram overtook the Ford F-Series last year for customers under the age of 35. Can Bronco follow a similar path vs Jeep? Can it also convert some percentage of the current masses of Wrangler owners? Let’s face it, the 800 pound elephant in the room is the Jeep Wrangler and with all due respect to everyone on this Forum, I have generally not seen here what it will take for Ford to get a Jeep owner out of their Wrangler and into a Bronco other than those few disgruntled owners and a few others, like me, excited to try something new, assuming its a winner! And that’s the rub.

Last week, I bought a new 2019 Wrangler Mojito MOAB for the wife. Why? Because she sees my Jeeps and all the other Jeeps on the road and she wanted one (she also owns a three-pedal ‘10 Dodge Challenger Hemi in Furious Fuchsia - think Panther Pink). How is Ford going to get women like her into the Bronco? For that matter, how many folks on this Forum will eventually go buy the Wrangler and why (other than the delay factor)? We can dream and speculate all we want, but Ford actually has to sell this vehicle to keep it in production. And to do that, I believe they need to do more than compete, they need to produce a clear and convincing winner.
Good points, however most of the jeeps are kept on the road. Most are even dressed up mall crawlers. When Ford set out to bet Jeep, the first thing we all thot of was "man it's got to be excellent off road". This is not so true. The main target is producing something highly customizable with better road manners and more power. After all most people that buy the new Bronco will also customize it to the moon and drive around town trying to impress on lookers and park at the mall with one tire on the curb. It's very easy to see that Ford hit this grand slam and easily won this ball game. There will always be hard core Jeep lovers to buy antiquated Jeeps and do their thing. Even if the Bronco is slightly off in the off road arena, I believe they really knew which ball field to play in. Its a new ball game, don't get distracted by anything but where the majority of these will be used. Ford is building a better mall crawler, highway family hauler and so on........

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Good points, however most of the jeeps are kept on the road. Most are even dressed up mall crawlers. When Ford set out to bet Jeep, the first thing we all thot of was "man it's got to be excellent off road". This is not so true. The main target is producing something highly customizable with better road manners and more power. After all most people that buy the new Bronco will also customize it to the moon and drive around town trying to impress on lookers and park at the mall with one tire on the curb. It's very easy to see that Ford hit this grand slam and easily won this ball game. There will always be hard core Jeep lovers to buy antiquated Jeeps and do their thing. Even if the Bronco is slightly off in the off road arena, I believe they really knew which ball field to play in. Its a new ball game, don't get distracted by anything but where the majority of these will be used. Ford is building a better mall crawler, highway family hauler and so on........
True, most buyers of any off road vehicle ever go off road or intended to. Some do until they break something $$$ and never again.

DesertChip

Badlands
First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Q5, 2017 GTI, 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If Ford would do what they said they would and build us all our Broncos the way we ordered them, Jeep would be in trouble. But with all the delays, it going to be several years before you can go to the Bronco store and pick out the one you want and drive it home at a reasonable price. So, jeep has some time to improve their product and give Ford a challange.

JTsGarage

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've owned a '13 JK Wrangler and currently own a Gladiator. I've loved them both but I'm particularly fond of the Gladiator. I'm typically skeptical of things that are a "jack of all trades" but "master of none". The Gladiator isn't the best off-roader and it's not the best truck you can buy, but damn if it's not about the perfect blend of the two. It's also much more composed on the highway than the Wrangler. So, I'm keeping the Gladiator but my wife is driving the Bronco (and we'll swap back and forth). I think the Bronco is absolutely gorgeous. I guess I'm the rare breed of person that doesn't feel a strong bias toward either one. I love both the Jeep and Bronco. It's a real treat to be spoiled with such an awesome selection of vehicles on the market today. I think the overly confident proclamations by some that the Bronco will be a "Wrangler killer" are ridiculous. Jeep will always be the standard by which Bronco will be measured whether people on here like it or not.
Sponsored