Brongo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ok, this is far better news than originally reported. This article states only ~550 vehicles are burdened with a faulty airbag.

1633655568065.png

Wonder if they fired the employee..
Ford Bronco More on Bronco Airbag Recall – Affects 553 Vehicles 1633706967786

The employee had the credentials previously folding merchandise at The Gap.
Sponsored

Rex21c

Wildtrak
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 fusion energi
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I wouldn't be sweating a "Major Delay" I know some people love to be negative and to complain, but switching out an airbag is usually not a complicated and timely process, I don't know for sure about the bronco but usually it's lift the dash change the module. Ford won't stop production now that they know what airbags it was. The ones that where effected probably will be fixed on the side and not put back on the line, so shouldn't slow production.

Just like the dirt mountain broncos probably are not going back to the line to get a new top, its probably a shed in the back. After all, if you are going to remove your hardtop, you don't take it back to the dealer to take it off and put it back on.

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mistakes happen, hopefully they retrain the employee and update their verification procedures.
I agree. This seems like a failure on behalf of the company, not the employee. It's not like you show up knowing how to fold proprietary airbags.

Seems to me to be poor training and poor quality control if the new guy can squeak out God knows how many bad airbags despite being brand spanking new.

If the employee was a known screw up, it's still up to the company to weed him out before lives are potentially lost.

Texas_Dave

Wildtrak
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The
I wouldn't be sweating a "Major Delay" I know some people love to be negative and to complain, but switching out an airbag is usually not a complicated and timely process, I don't know for sure about the bronco but usually it's lift the dash change the module. Ford won't stop production now that they know what airbags it was. The ones that where effected probably will be fixed on the side and not put back on the line, so shouldn't slow production.

Just like the dirt mountain broncos probably are not going back to the line to get a new top, its probably a shed in the back. After all, if you are going to remove your hardtop, you don't take it back to the dealer to take it off and put it back on.
Yeah, production won’t stop, which is fine for anyone having theirs roll down the line currently because those didn’t have to contend with the MIC top or airbag issues. The affected Broncos are essentially all ones which had already been sitting at DM for weeks or months, and if this leaked document is to be believed, Ford apparently doesn’t intend to have a “fix” for the airbag in until November, and that just doesn’t fly. They need to be overnighting airbag modules to dealers with affected units, especially given the relatively small number affected, which should prove no problem for Ford to do and eat the expedited costs for. I’m hoping that the November timeframe is way off and that they are fixing them as we speak, but once again, we’ve heard no official communications from Ford and all info we get has to come through second-hand sources.

Sponsored

Rex21c

Wildtrak
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 fusion energi
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The

Yeah, production won’t stop, which is fine for anyone having theirs roll down the line currently because those didn’t have to contend with the MIC top or airbag issues. The affected Broncos are essentially all ones which had already been sitting at DM for weeks or months, and if this leaked document is to be believed, Ford apparently doesn’t intend to have a “fix” for the airbag in until November, and that just doesn’t fly. They need to be overnighting airbag modules to dealers with affected units, especially given the relatively small number affected, which should prove no problem for Ford to do and eat the expedited costs for. I’m hoping that the November timeframe is way off and that they are fixing them as we speak, but once again, we’ve heard no official communications from Ford and all info we get has to come through second-hand sources.
Yea when I worked in a production line, if a defect or problem was found, engineers had to get involved to come up with a process for the replacement so we didn't get a bunch of folks trying to do their own thing and fix it as quick as possible. The fix needs to uniform and proper.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My thoughts here, could be wrong. I'm thinking the 553 number is those that have been delivered and must be recalled, from a purchaser. it may take until November to get parts out to dealers and schedule the repairs. I'm also thinking there may be many more that are still owned by Ford (Dirt Mountain and as yet undelivered for various reasons ) that can and will be repaired before released by Ford. So, I think this can still hold up more than 553, albeit for a shorter time, as the parts should exist at MAP.

Julz670

Black Diamond
First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Previously: '83 and '95 Bronco XLTs. RIP.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yea when I worked in a production line, if a defect or problem was found, engineers had to get involved to come up with a process for the replacement so we didn't get a bunch of folks trying to do their own thing and fix it as quick as possible. The fix needs to uniform and proper.
Ford Bronco More on Bronco Airbag Recall – Affects 553 Vehicles lucy

MattAttack85

Outer Banks
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco OBX and 23 Jeep JLU
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My build date was July 20. I just got a shipping notice today after my dirt mountain hard top was replaced. Please for the love of God don't let me be one of the 553. 😣
I'm also a 7/20 build. Glad to hear you're getting your Bronco soon!! Hopefully my shipped email is days away!

Sponsored

wetdog

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

True story - a guy priming back glass at a ford plant decided to perform the process a “quicker” way for months. The NTSB was testing a car for rollover, specifically if the gas fill ball would stop leaks. The backglass fell out of the test car. 68,000 cars were recalled for suspect back glass adhesion, the backglass is part of the structural integrity of the car. Around $20 million in warranty claims. The guy did NOT get fired.
They say your not famous till they name something after you the wilson fold or something like that.

Shacky4

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
OK, so there's probably a lot more to this but in reading the info. I couldn't help but think- Why couldn't the dealer just open up the area, remove the extra fold in the air bag and put it back in?

This article gives more details on the airbag recall than I've seen elsewhere, including who the manufacturer is, how the bad fold happened, and the fact that we can't take posession of this vehicle until the airbag is replaced! Beginning in November . . . After my MIC top is replaced in October!

UPDATE: However, members note several links to check VIN for recalls. My OBX has NO recall! Furthermore, I got an email Friday AM that my MIC2 is BUILT and will arrive this Month!
https://www.motor1.com/news/539257/ford-bronco-airbag-problem-recall/

2021 Ford Bronco Recalled Over Improperly Folded Passenger Airbags

The airbags could deploy in the wrong way, causing them not to be as effective.

The revived Ford Bronco is getting its first recall. The passenger-side airbag can open prematurely when it deploys. This put the SUV out of compliance with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard number 208 regarding occupant crash protection.

This recall affects 553 examples of the new Bronco. These units have build dates from July 18, 2021, through August 17, 2021. Dealers will replace the passenger airbag to fix the problem.

According to the chronology in the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration documentation, Joyson, the airbag's supplier, found an example that opened before the activation of the micro gas-generator during a routine lot acceptance test. The company brought this issue to Ford’s Critical Concerns Review Group on August 12, 2021.

Further testing showed the premature opening only happening in airbags folded by one of six workers. Joyson found a person who started in this position in late June, and the worker was adding an extra fold to the bag. Previous lot acceptance tests had never randomly selected the bags folded by this person.

Ford did tests to evaluate the effects of an airbag opening prematurely. The automaker found a risk of not meeting crash standards and decided a recall was necessary.

The company has no reports of injuries related to this problem. Joyson has modified its process control and detection methods to avoid problems like this in the future.

Ford will contact affected Bronco owners by mail starting November 15 to tell them about this recall. Customers can then schedule the repair with their local dealer. Also, showrooms can't sell any in-stock Broncos with these faulty airbags until the problem is fixed.

While not a safety recall, Ford has also pledged to replace the hard tops on affected Broncos. The original panels had quality control and fitment issues. Deliveries of the new ones should finally begin in October.

OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

OK, so there's probably a lot more to this but in reading the info. I couldn't help but think- Why couldn't the dealer just open up the area, remove the extra fold in the air bag and put it back in?
And if your passenger got killed because it didn't deploy properly?

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback, '79 2G, '89 3G, '92 5G White!
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My WildTrak was delivered & picked up today! 7/21 blend date. No recall notice! Never give up! It’s so worth the wait.
Hey, that's my blend date! Noice! Pix please!

Shacky4

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
You could apply that argument to a lot of things you have done by your dealer or service centers. The dealer is going to be the one to put in a new air bag and you trust him to do that. Obviously, it would have to be determined if it was a matter of a simple extra fold and if it could easily and safely be put right. As my op said, perhaps there is a lot more to it.
Sponsored