First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, '11 Ford Edge, '10 Ford Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
In case anyone is wondering...... Joyson is Takata. Purchased and re-branded. Just like Yang Feng bought Johnson Control's interior trim division, and now calls it YF, the Chinese bought bankrupt Takata and re-branded it. No surprise here....

OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It's not hard to look it up. Just check the recall database or ETIS.
Thanks for the tip, I didn't know about either site. ETIS says "no campaign messages found" and the NHTSA "Safer Car" app shows "no recalls". Looks like I'm in the clear for the airbag, unless the info isnt entered yet by Ford. And Safer Car will send me notifications if a recall is issued for my VIN!

OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Mistakes happen, hopefully they retrain the employee and update their verification procedures.
Agreed. Emloyees who learn from their mistakes are the best kind. We need more learning and less firing.

Sponsored

moisea

Wildtrak
First Name
Moses
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Murano 2015
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
With all the mishaps on the Bronco 2021 I will probably look back two years from today and count my blessings for being pushed to 2022. Providence basically saved me from myself.

This article gives more details on the airbag recall than I've seen elsewhere, including who the manufacturer is, how the bad fold happened, and the fact that we can't take posession of this vehicle until the airbag is replaced! Beginning in November . . . After my MIC top is replaced in October!
https://www.motor1.com/news/539257/ford-bronco-airbag-problem-recall/

2021 Ford Bronco Recalled Over Improperly Folded Passenger Airbags

The airbags could deploy in the wrong way, causing them not to be as effective.

The revived Ford Bronco is getting its first recall. The passenger-side airbag can open prematurely when it deploys. This put the SUV out of compliance with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard number 208 regarding occupant crash protection.

This recall affects 553 examples of the new Bronco. These units have build dates from July 18, 2021, through August 17, 2021. Dealers will replace the passenger airbag to fix the problem.

According to the chronology in the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration documentation, Joyson, the airbag's supplier, found an example that opened before the activation of the micro gas-generator during a routine lot acceptance test. The company brought this issue to Ford’s Critical Concerns Review Group on August 12, 2021.

Further testing showed the premature opening only happening in airbags folded by one of six workers. Joyson found a person who started in this position in late June, and the worker was adding an extra fold to the bag. Previous lot acceptance tests had never randomly selected the bags folded by this person.

Ford did tests to evaluate the effects of an airbag opening prematurely. The automaker found a risk of not meeting crash standards and decided a recall was necessary.

The company has no reports of injuries related to this problem. Joyson has modified its process control and detection methods to avoid problems like this in the future.

Ford will contact affected Bronco owners by mail starting November 15 to tell them about this recall. Customers can then schedule the repair with their local dealer. Also, showrooms can't sell any in-stock Broncos with these faulty airbags until the problem is fixed.

While not a safety recall, Ford has also pledged to replace the hard tops on affected Broncos. The original panels had quality control and fitment issues. Deliveries of the new ones should finally begin in October.

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ok, this is far better news than originally reported. This article states only ~550 vehicles are burdened with a faulty airbag.

1633655568065.png

Wonder if they fired the employee..
Did you get fired for every mistake you made?

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wrong. They know which airbags this employee folded and need to be recalled. This stuff is tracked.
Exactly! It’s called a “Manufacturing Information System” or “Manufacturing Execution System” is pretty hi tech and there are several competent providers. These systems can track everything and can even stop the line if nuts aren’t torqued to the right specifications in the proper sequence.

Dogstyle

Black Diamond
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150 Sport 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That's pretty eye opening. I'm sure someone on here will calculate the number of Broncos built during the affected time frame and give a percentage of affected Broncos. 😁
Mine possibly was one - July 20
Haven't heard from Ford since April 13 about supply issues. I guess they (Ford), only send out letters/stickers/posters/hammocks to owners south of the boarder.

Blk Diamond Cheese/2D/2.7/SASQ/MIC/MID/TOW

Broncolli

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Back Diamond 4 door MIC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

There are some jobs that do not tolerate mistakes due to the potential consequences. Also, you have to think about the employee's record. For example, if a bus driver is always responsible, but one day he decides to drink because his dog died, then drives everyone off a cliff, but survives, he should probably get fired. If a surgeon is flirting with the nurse, just this once for the first time, and cuts off the wrong leg, he should get fired.
Packing airbags, powered by potent explosives, about 24 inches from your face and chest, would be considered one of those jobs where care should be taken to insure the end product is safe.

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Yeah - I think six years from now, quality for anything built in 2020-22 will be an issue, and products from those years will have bad ratings, because there were so many noobs making those products. Also because supply was in such shortage, manufacturers decided to make what the could with whatever they could get.

Boxer4

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRUCK
Your Bronco Model
Base
All of the suspect modules are accounted for
Boss-" Hey Joe, we just fired Fred for folding the bags wrong. Did you do the same thing ? "
Joe- "Ah--Nope"
Boss- " Ok Ford, we're good"

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Only the mistakes that could've killed people. Which is none. Because I'm perfect in every way.. your tax dollars made sure of that.

I grew up in an environment where you were expected to be competent at your job. Such a quaint notion today, I know.

MorgansRun

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 330e
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Sucks to be that guy. :LOL:
When I was reading this the first time, I thought they actually called out the guys' name. I read Jayson before realize the name of the company was Joyson. :LOL:

Bdisco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘88 911,‘15 Chevy 2500, ‘24 Acura Integra Type S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ford Bronco More on Bronco Airbag Recall – Affects 553 Vehicles 1633706734318
Sponsored