Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have the modular bumper and bash plate. Is there a certain area or skid plate I can add that is most important? Something that covers an area that may get dinged a lot.
Sponsored

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

fuel tank. it's plastic, exposed, and huge.

The OEM transfer case skid is about $50 shipped from Ruxer. Seems like a no brainer.

Some people on the forum are fabricating their own transmission skid from 1/4" aluminum, but the metal isn't that cheap, so I just bought mine from Asfir when I ordered the fuel tank skid.

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I would have thought the engine/oil pan but maybe not.

OP
OP

Badassbronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I plan to wheel moderate to light trails but nothing close to LiteBrite.
Just makes me wonder how necessary the additional skids are. I guess it’s better to have and not need than to need and not have.

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I plan to wheel moderate to light trails but nothing close to LiteBrite.
Just makes me wonder how necessary the additional skids are. I guess it’s better to have and not need than to need and not have.
I’ve only taken my bronco out once so far to Sarah’s Creek. There was one offshoot we did that was very rutted. The under side was rubbing some. Luckily I took it easy and it was more dirt than rock, but made it immediately clear to me that gas tank skid was needed

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I would have thought the engine/oil pan but maybe not.
That is the front skid. The question was what is the next important skid to add.

Sponsored

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

That is the front skid. The question was what is the next important skid to add.
Yeah. Until I got my bronco and looked I was unsure. It’s sold like bumper and front bash is all that’s included, but that first skid behind the bash plate (engine skid) is definitely included

Last edited:

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thanks all. Gas tank will probably be my first add and the transfer case skid.
That fuel tank hang down is ridiculous (really my only complaint with the Bronco), I can't believe Ford didn't include a skid on the four door (my 2 door has one). Assuming you have a metal one on the engine (mine is plastic) you are correct transfer case would be next. The transmission is tucked up nicely, but has a plastic pan that may be vulnerable to a rolled rock or log. I don't care for any of the current transmission skids as they are mounted lower than necessary. One with a rise in front of the crossover pipe would be nice, it's on my fabrication list.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yep, but comes with the mod bumper

Oh I wasn't aware that the front skid actually continued down below far enough to cover the engine. I thought it was just enough to cover from the bumper to front of the engine... Basically like a typical plastic air dam would do.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Oh I wasn't aware that the front skid actually continued down below far enough to cover the engine. I thought it was just enough to cover from the bumper to front of the engine... Basically like a typical plastic air dam would do.
It’s a 2 piece design, but they come together. Probably wouldn’t be a bad idea to upgrade it though.

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

technically it’s two pieces. The front bash and the engine skid. Both came with my with mod bumper. If you bought the “complete” 4 piece skid set from ford, these would be two of them. The others are the transfer case skid ($50 shipped from ruxer) and the fuel skid (assuming you are buying the 4 door set; 2 door set excludes the fuel skid as 2 doors already have it)
Ford Bronco Most important skid plate besides front 1649777846142
Sponsored