Sponsored

Motor Trend says Bronco has "poor build quality". Fact or Bias?

subshooter

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 911 and 2014 Boxster S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The bias is the OP's, not Motor Trend's. Between the MIC top, the poor welds/seems, the rubbing soft top and mismatched seats just to name a few - it is clear the Bronco has poor build quality.

But what is even more alarming is that there are so many customers like the OP who don't hold Ford accountable. They rationalize away Ford's poor performance or just accept it. Hence why Ford wont get better (because they don't need to, to satisfy their customers). SMH.
Sponsored

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
As someone who has never owned anything but Japanese cars/trucks, I'm actually somewhat surprised with the seemingly good build quality. My biggest complaint is the marginal fit/finish of the interior plastics. Everything else seems pretty good after 3 months/2k miles. Hell I don't even mind the MIC 1.0 top and am worried that the 2.0 won't be any different, and will just end up wasting a day or two of my time to replace.

Coldsmoke

Badlands
First Name
Knuckles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I donā€™t know what MT is basing their comment on but all I can say is that the BL I received is pretty kick ass. Itā€™s tight, quiet, comfortable, good on road manners, great off road manners, and all the body seams are straight and equally spaced. So from my perspective, itā€™s quality is excellent and in reality that is all that matters to me. I bought it, I paid for it, and I like it. šŸ˜

one800higgins

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mine has been excellent 3000 miles, no problems, 2.7 , lux SAS, no quality issues ..perfect.

I will say the little panels between the taillights and the tail gate door.. waiting for them to fall off, as of now look fine and no problems.

however I donā€™t have a MIC top, in addition the builds with problems seem to be early than mine, and few if any after.

I do expect the first run of any new mass production car to have its assembly faults (especially when Ford had to play catch up on orders after that MIC top supplier fiasco) which will be straightened out the more that go down the line.
Same here. Put 1000 miles into mine so far and fit and finish on everything feels tight and nice. Compared to a Wrangler, it feels luxury. No complaints at all so far. Only issue Iā€™ve encountered is that the soft top can definitely rub paint off the frame in the rear. Going to buy some protection film.

OP
OP
markregel

markregel

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base
My problem is with items quality control should have caught. For Peteā€™s sake - do your job and do it right! Many cosmetic errors are simply unacceptable for Ford or any other manufacturer.
The bias is the OP's, not Motor Trend's. Between the MIC top, the poor welds/seems, the rubbing soft top and mismatched seats just to name a few - it is clear the Bronco has poor build quality.

But what is even more alarming is that there are so many customers like the OP who don't hold Ford accountable. They rationalize away Ford's poor performance or just accept it. Hence why Ford wont get better (because they don't need to, to satisfy their customers). SMH.
The reason I get under the car with a flashlight is because I care about quality real quality. To continue harping on the mic top something Ford stop production for only proves you're a hater.

Sponsored
OP
OP
markregel

markregel

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base
I donā€™t know what MT is basing their comment on but all I can say is that the BL I received is pretty kick ass. Itā€™s tight, quiet, comfortable, good on road manners, great off road manners, and all the body seams are straight and equally spaced. So from my perspective, itā€™s quality is excellent and in reality that is all that matters to me. I bought it, I paid for it, and I like it. šŸ˜
Great post. The haters accusing us of letting Ford build garbage are so jealous they can't stand it.

skhubbard93

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Badlands, '01 Z8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In late 2000, the first Z8s came out. The earliest buyers, Steve Jobs among them, paid ~$300k for their cars - more than twice the $128k sticker.

As I recall:
  • The first batch of Z8s up through Q1 2000 had issues with the double VANOS system in the V8 engine requiring substantial repairs for some. This happened during the first 6-9 months of ownership.
  • The built-in phone charger would discharge the car's battery even when no phone was plugged in and the key was out of the ignition. Mine did.
  • The backs of the seats - pieces of heavy plastic - would fall off. Mine did in the first year.
  • The retraction string for the soft top would come undone, potentially causing damage to the top if you didn't catch it in time. Mine failed in the first year. I caught it in time.
  • A design problem meant that hitting a pothole too hard would cause the frame to bend inward in front, so that the side fenders could contact the hood. The fix was a "performance package" that you had to buy because the issue was identified far beyond the end of the warranty. The damage to the frame, if it did occur, was basically unrepairable due to the material properties of the all-aluminum space frame construction.
  • The glove box lock mechanism would fail, so you could end up having difficulty getting into the glove box. Not a good situation for a car that likes to attract cops. Mine did.
So hopefully this serves as a useful point of comparison. We are talking about Broncos that cost 1/2 to 1/3 as much MSRP, and 1/3 to 1/9 as much as the highest ADM price. But we can GOAT(T), have almost as much torque, 75% of the horsepower, and can fit an extra 2-3 people. And ours can carry more than an overnight bag; drive reasonably well in mud and snow; have the doors taken off; tow a sailboat or a snowmobile; carry skis, snowboards, canoes, kayaks, paddle boards and tents; and can even have a full-size Nav system rather than a 2x3" monochrome LED arrow relying on 18-year-old map data. And we even get some cupholders!

There were ~5200 Z8s made, so it was certainly lower-production than the Bronco. And clearly they had a lot of problems - some more severe than even the valve problem in the 2.7Ls.

But you will not ever get me to sell you mine. When they eventually do away with gasoline production, I will swap in electric propulsion, and ultimately bequeath it to my sons.

And in the same way, when I get my Bronco, I'll be thrilled. Quirks, problems and all.

I say, let's hold Ford to their warranty and fix what needs fixing, look to aftermarket to improve what we can improve, and enjoy what we have. (or hopefully soon will have. Some day. This year. Maybe...)

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think I can simplify this for all..

If you're looking for a mall crawler/family car, the quality is average to good. Not poor, but you'll find plenty that could be better. The looks and fun make up for it though.

If you're looking for a rugged vehicle to use outdoors, none of it matters. The capability is there with some modern comfort, and you'll love every second.

It's a tremendous vehicle either way, but your expectations set the framing. Coming from luxury? It's a Ford.. expect Ford quality. Coming from a 25 year old economy car? It's going to feel stellar.

Sponsored

jkburg

First Edition
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura 2020/2022 ILX, 2017 RDX
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
As someone who has come from 20+ years of Acuras my expectations were high and probably too high based on the brand and the type of cars/suvs I have had vs a Ford truck in its first year. (No offense) After being on this site for more than 18 months and seeing all of the quality issues here to say I am starting to feel a little paranoid to drive it; especially given the continual failures at my dealer. Iā€™ve been more and more worried and that is a feeling that I shouldnā€™t have. I should be feeling joy and excitement not worried that my engine is going to blow up at 1,000 miles or my roof is going to leak or one of a dozen other things. Ford has done nothing to reassure me and prove to me otherwise. So yes, Fordā€™s quality is crap.

heavyD

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 BMW X3M Competition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I've owned nearly all the brands over the decades including a couple Mustangs (my 2012 GT was the biggest lemon I have ever owned) and Focus ST. I just kind of expect poor build quality with a Ford as it's why most people purchase them considerably lower than MSRP. This is the first Ford I've paid MSRP for but I knowingly did that against my better judgement because you have to pay MSRP with most automakers these days with parts shortages and few cars on dealer lots. My Focus ST was pretty solid so I hope that I get another decent Ford but I'm not shocked in the least that magazines have cited poor build quality because I sat in a new Explorer and was appalled by the plastics used in the interior at the price point. Ford seems to have a lifetime contract with a plastic manufacturer that makes the hardest, cheapest plastics in automobiles. That said it's probably a good thing in regards to the Bronco as my wife and kids are hard on cars and my OCD would drive me crazy with my wife wrecking a luxury interior.

ajlangley79

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Mustang GT, 21 Audi S5, 20 Hyundia Palisade
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Iā€™ve heard itā€™s true from people that have had theirs for a month or twoā€¦
What is true? And are you keeping your res?

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My aluminum-wheel BD showed up with a 1.5" gash - not a scrape, a Gash - on all 5 wheels. When you let glaringly OBVIOUS shit pass QC, people gonna wonder about lottsa stuff.

Ford replaced all 5 wheels, but the fact it left the factory like that convinces me they are asleep at the wheel. HALO lol lol

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Iā€™m coming from an Acura and I am happy with the build quality. You have to understand what youā€™re buying though. It has removable parts all over the place. I still love it though.
Sponsored