Sponsored

Motor Trend says Bronco has "poor build quality". Fact or Bias?

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sometimes both things can be true at the same time:
  • Ford‘s production quality on early 21MY Broncos could be better, and
  • MotorTrend could be biased.
They’re not mutually exclusive. Whodathunkit? 🤷‍♂️
Sponsored

ARKBronco

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don’t think it’s necessarily bias…JL interior feels better all around, our RAM is leaps and bounds better, door gaps aren’t consistent on some that I’ve put eyes on. I’m still super excited to get my base Sasquatch though. I’m not expecting luxury vehicle quality, but the interior materials are subpar. I really hope the dash isn’t the next 2nd gen Dodge Ram dash quality.
I’ve got one of those too. Can’t believe there wasn’t a recall on those.

JDS

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TT Roadster, Reatta convertible.
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So far it’s hard to argue with based on empirical evidence. It was never goIng to be a luxury vehicle but so far ford has been their own worst enemy on this front,

subshooter

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 911 and 2014 Boxster S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The reason I get under the car with a flashlight is because I care about quality real quality. To continue harping on the mic top something Ford stop production for only proves you're a hater.
You think this is "real quality"? LMAO. Motor Trend is right. There are numerous examples on this forum to support their conclusion in their article.

Ford Bronco Motor Trend says Bronco has "poor build quality".  Fact or Bias? 1635822659524

MadeInDetroit

Wildtrak
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, 74 Bronco, Tesla, Falcon Spint, Defender
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The Bronco wasn't designed and engineered to be a Land Rover or a G Wagon, it's a true off road vehicle thats more like a truck than a luxury SUV. Its' designed to compete with the Jeep brand and (even with the short comings of a new vehicle launch) is a huge success. I had a Jeep (which I liked) and currently own a Defender which is very nice but nothing is like my Bronco. It's just a different vehicle that's extremely fun to drive.

MT is in the business of selling magazine and lost credibility of real enthusiast years ago...

Sponsored

DarkPony

Outer Banks
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F250 Platinum, 97 Porsche 993
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I've been quite pleased with my build quality. Mines an OBX Lux, interior is better than I was expecting in an off-road vehicle and better than any wrangler I ever had. Is it as nice as my Ford Platinum F250, hell no but its not meant to be. They also said the same thing about the Landrover Defender. Its new, hasn't had enough time to be refined but I haven't found a glaring issue with mine and its fun as hell to drive.

broncoj11

Badlands
First Name
Trunks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier Pro 4X
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What is true? And are you keeping your res?
There’s a lot of hard plastics. Problems with the 2.7 and obviously MIC top. I haven’t cancelled my order, I have some weird soul-tie to this truck but I am considering some other vehicles

demoman

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I own a 2021 Ford Bronco Badlands 2 door 2.7l (mid finish), a 2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands(High finish, wife's), and a 2018 Ford F250 XLT, standard cab, 8' bed 4x4 6.2l gas (bought new in '18). Love them all, but the full-size bronco is the jewel, imo. It is tight but supple on the road, and has handled any off road chore with ease. It's a blast to drive (feels overpowered for the short wheel base, or I'm just getting old). Very satisfied customer, zero issues. Patiently waiting for a replacement hardtop on the Bronco, but honestly, the version 1.0 doesn't bother me. It isn't loud, it doesn't leak, it looks fine.

My only gripe is the amount of attention I get driving it around. It never stops. Cars follow on the highway taking pictures. Driving through the city, it's clear that most people have never seen one. I have only seen a single 4 door full size on the road, and zero 2-doors, myself. I've only just now gotten over the feeling of driving something that is worth more than I paid for it, a distinctly new sensation. Every other car has felt 'replaceable'.

In the past I've owned a 2014b jeep wrangler unlimited, Ford f-150 4x4's, Toyota pickups, a honda element, and a 2010 BMW 328i wagon with manual 6 speed. The Bronco is more fun than anything. It's as well or better put-together as any of the above, except maybe the 328i, I miss that car, very solid, sporty, and fun. Oh yeah, I also owned a sweet '74 Bronco several years back, that really needed a frame off restoration but I drove it daily anyway. Sold for what i paid for it, which is a fraction of it's value today.

I get that there are issues in the initial Bronco run. I also suspect that Ford is quickly getting a grip on a very painful Bronco introduction. In a year, I doubt we will see nearly as much vitriol from the disappointed.

ILoveTacos

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Maybe they've been lurking in the forum reading about the various issues folks have reported such as engine failure, sensor failure, roof problems, leaking hoses to name a few. Ford has done nothing to dispel their Fix Or Repair Daily reputation in this case.

Bronco4

First Edition
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F350 CCLB
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

If you think Ford has ever made a quality product, or GM, or Chrysler or AMC or any defunct American brand, there is nothing I can say to disabuse you of such a notion.
I don't know what your smoking but you don't know what your talking about! It might be best for you to walk, no run to the nearest Suzuki Samurai Dealer or what ever. The Bronco and you are NOT a good fit. Save yourself a ton of grief and just move on. ;)

Sponsored

Sweetooth710

Badlands
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The latest SUV of the year issue of Motor Trend says the Bronco has "poor build quality". After carefully shaking down a 4dr Big Bend in my garage during a test drive, this reeks of bias in my opinion. Sure, there is the MIC roof issue, but the overall build quality is excellent and remember this is a modular vehicle most body panels are designed to be easily removable. Slapping it with poor build quality is laughable. I think MT is desperately trying to justify their choice of Land Rover for SUV of the Year. It may be a great SUV, but it’s a unibody crossover with low profile tires like all the rest, hardly an off-road machine. Obviously, MT is passing up the most exciting new vehicle launch in decades for a niche market crossover with little fanfare.
Motortrend is hardly a journalism outlet nowadays and seems to be more of an advertisme too firm. I don’t know if Ford is known for build quality/reliability compared to the Japanese vehicles I’ve owned that run forever with minimal maintenance. I’m so intrigued with the bronco im taking the leap to drop 50k on a new vehicles with a lot of unknowns. The land rover I was considering as I like the look overall (like an upscale version of my Honda Element) and despite the factory tires and wheels, the Consensus is that it’s incredibly capable off-road. I’ve driven both, didn’t get to take the defender off road but it’s got too much tech for it’s own good. Land Rover has a lot of issues with quality control and the odd choices as far as tires and wheels that seem to belly it’s reportedly outstanding traction control system. I wish The defender had less tech, smaller wheels, and slightly lower price tag. It’s a little too Range Rover for me which is why I decided on ordering a bronco. But hope my first Ford doesn’t burn me on the quality front 🤞

LeBronco

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Expedition Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Maybe they've been lurking in the forum reading about the various issues folks have reported such as engine failure, sensor failure, roof problems, leaking hoses to name a few. Ford has done nothing to dispel their Fix Or Repair Daily reputation in this case.
how many instances have you seen here? how many broncos are out? do the math!! the numbers now are FAR in Fords favor. im not saying there are no issues, im saying the numbers dont lie. the bronco is perfectly fine.

LeBronco

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Expedition Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
i have 5800 miles on mine. i have taken it through a pretty decent amount of serious off road. not a single problem. not even a hint of a problem. im thrilled!!! I have heard WAY WAY WAY more horror storys from Jeep owners!! In fact I dont know anyone with a late model jeep that hasnt talked shit about it.

these trucks are literally top of the food chain off roaders. thats a fact.

they start at $38k!!!!!!!!! $50k well equipped

they will NEVER have the fit and finish of a Mercedes or BMW. If they did they would start at $60k and well equip for $120k thats just how it goes!!

for those wanting the best of the best fit and finish.....its available right now, the G Wagon. you can go buy one right now for $200,000-300,000!!! I would still take my Bronco any day of the week and have seen nothing to indicate the G is more capable.

edit-- when is the last time Range Rover has been known for quality and reliability?!?!?!?

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
One month, 1600 miles, zero issues. Love it inside and out. On behalf of the silent majority.
Sponsored