Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco (ordered), Rusting Tacoma, R1200GS Adv
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
2021-Ford-Bronco-Outer-Banks-26.jpg

From the Motor Trend article »

The 2021 Ford Bronco Outer Banks is fun—silly, refreshing, and a good time. Perfect? Not by a long shot, but we're confident people who buy the new Bronco will love their purchase. Probably exactly as much as Jeep Wrangler customers have loved their throwback off-roaders for literally decades.

Should Jeep be worried? Keep in mind that since the introduction of the 2019 MotorTrend SUV of the Year-winning JL Wrangler, Jeep has sold more than 200,000 of the modern-day anachronisms every year, and that pace seems likely to continue in 2021. The Bronco, while a pretty good effort from Ford, isn't putting the Wrangler on the trailer. It's great to see Jeep finally has some competition in the body-on-frame space, but that's exactly what the Bronco is: a worthy competitor. A rival. A foe to wage combat against for years to come. We'll have to wait to conduct a full-on proper comparison test to declare a victor, but competition will make both the Ford Bronco and the Jeep Wrangler better. We're already seeing this happen vis-à-vis Jeep responding to Sasquatch. For now, despite some flaws, the Outer Banks edition of the Ford Bronco is more fun than the comparable Jeep model. And really, isn't having fun what SUVs like this are mostly all about?
Sponsored

NachoMama

First Name
TIm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Thanks for sharing it's always good to have as many reviews a s possible but, Motor Trend in my opinion, is just an advertising arm of the auto industry. You can say the same for others but, MT is definitely at the top.

fpGT350

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Viper RT/10; 09 AMG C63; 18 GT350
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have a 2.3 OBX with MIC on order. I didn’t find his review to be encouraging. Excessive noise from the top at highway speed and woefully underpowered Is what I read.

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For those of you that need engine advice-

While you can opt for an Outer Banks with Ford's 2.3-liter turbo I-4, our test vehicle was equipped with the $1,895 2.7-liter twin-turbo V-6. MotorTrend contributor Basem Wasef simultaneously happened to be driving a two-door Bronco Outer Banks with the four-cylinder, and he felt that even in the smaller, lighter Bronco model, the little engine is weak sauce. Additionally, the Outer Banks trim only comes with a 10-speed automatic transmission, and since you can't get any manual Bronco with the V-6, the big engine is absolutely the way to go. Unconvinced?
This new Bronco is no lightweight, as it tipped our scales to the tune of 4,828 pounds. To put that in perspective, a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara ("Unlimited" is Jeep-speak for four doors) with a 3.6-liter V-6 weighs 4,391 pounds. There's more than 400 pounds of additional beef on the Ford. Yes, you want the V-6.

You can learn more reading one article from automotive experts than of hundreds of owner/test driver reviews...

Last edited:

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
with what you own, you got the 2.3? :(

My wife test drove the wildtrak yesterday and during the drive she says .. this has too much power. :)

I have a 2.3 OBX with MIC on order. I didn’t find his review to be encouraging. Excessive noise from the top at highway speed and woefully underpowered Is what I read.

Sponsored

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I don't care much for Lieberman. His reviews are ok, but I feel like when there is something in a segment he prefers his bias shows through

Ricky_gibbs

Base
First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini countryman
Your Bronco Model
Base
So I just got my mic base yesterday and I can say for sure, the road noise is a crazy amount less than a jeep. I didn't notice much at all. Did you get a 2 door or a 4 door?

fpGT350

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
with what you own, you got the 2.3? :(

My wife test drove the wildtrak yesterday and during the drive she says .. this has too much power. :)
I usually do not buy practical cars. The bronco is intended to be an exception for me. FWIW, I purchased my first new Bronco in 1978. It came with the 351 V-8 (5.77L) and had a whopping 160HP and 262 ft Lbs of torque. The 2021 2.3 comes with 300HP and 325 ft Lbs of torque. Granted, the 2021 is about 500 pounds heavier.

fpGT350

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So I just got my mic base yesterday and I can say for sure, the road noise is a crazy amount less than a jeep. I didn't notice much at all. Did you get a 2 door or a 4 door?
4-door for me. Yes, my daughter has a modern wrangler with 35s on it. The street handling and noise level is ridiculously unacceptable.

Ricky_gibbs

Base
First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini countryman
Your Bronco Model
Base
4-door for me. Yes, my daughter has a modern wrangler with 35s on it. The street handling and noise level is ridiculously unacceptable.
My only guess with people getting loud road noise is they have a top thats not up to par. It is unfortunate that the consistency isn't there yet, but the noise is fine and I think you will be okay with it, I think as far as noise goes the worst issue with noise is just the ac because it is like a powerful leaf blower in strength and sound when you have it will max ac. My kids were complaining how cold it got in the back when there are only those floor vents and it was over 90 yesterday

Sponsored
OP
OP
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco (ordered), Rusting Tacoma, R1200GS Adv
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My only guess with people getting loud road noise is they have a top thats not up to par. It is unfortunate that the consistency isn't there yet, but the noise is fine and I think you will be okay with it, I think as far as noise goes the worst issue with noise is just the ac because it is like a powerful leaf blower in strength and sound when you have it will max ac. My kids were complaining how cold it got in the back when there are only those floor vents and it was over 90 yesterday
It's probably all very subjective as well. If you step out of luxury car and into a Bronco, you might think the wind noise to be excessive. If you jump in from having just driven in a Jeep or first generation Tacoma, it probably seems like a more civilized environment.

Ricky_gibbs

Base
First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini countryman
Your Bronco Model
Base
It's probably all very subjective as well. If you step out of luxury car and into a Bronco, you might think the wind noise to be excessive. If you jump in from having just driven in a Jeep or first generation Tacoma, it probably seems like a more civilized environment.
Thats fair, it is comparable to my wife's Honda pilot I don't have a way to check though so knows.

Panaran

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CX5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
A 5200lb SUV that gets to 60 in 6.6 isn't woefully underpowered IMO.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't disagree with any of the reviews I have read. I do have two comments related to the reviews, after owning my Bronco a few weeks. #1. There is Interior Volume at a given speed measured in DB. The tone and type of sound is not as tiring in my Bronco as it was in my past Jeeps. Hard to explain or display, but jump from one to the other and decide for yourself. #2 When reviewers talk about ride and handling, I think they are being very, very easy on Jeep. 30 minutes on local rods, maybe not a big deal. 3 hrs. behind the wheel? Bronco isn't even in the same class. Jeep wears you down in so many ways. We have gone back and forth 2.5-3 hrs. to our cottage several times and it's every day livable 100%. Jeep, in my experience and opinion, is not.

BTW, after 1800 miles, I am averaging just under 20mpg. Almost identical to my 2018 F1502.7 Super Crew 4x4. Bronco is heavy and heavy=slow and bad MPG. Oh Well, I love it anyway.