Sponsored

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1967 Ford Bronco, 1993 Turbo Notchback, 2006 Sierra K1500, 2013 Sierra K1500, 2014 Sienna Mini-Van
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

This is a long post. I was going to start a build thread a year ago, but work and life have kept me busy. With a few weeks off, I decided to catch you all up. We picked up our FE in November 2021 from Granger Ford. We ordered the factory tow wiring and hitch, remote keypad (relocated to the fuel door) and the rear fixed-lid cargo enclosure. It remained stock and served as my road trip vehicle to work at Bronco Off-Roadeo MOAB for 3 months or so:

Ford Bronco Motorhead Mountain Recreation and Recovery Build πŸ‘·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ IMG_9359

My first modification was hood struts. Not sure why this is so hard for manufacturers, but is one of my only complaints. While I was doing that, I installed an underhood light with an override switch at the same time:

Ford Bronco Motorhead Mountain Recreation and Recovery Build πŸ‘·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ IMG_0066

Some extra storage in the form of some Molle door pockets and the Mabbet center console organizer. Then added the archetype BYOB. After loading up recovery gear, I used this for a couple of trail recoveries, but held off on the winter recoveries until I had time to build my bumper and winch mount.

Ford Bronco Motorhead Mountain Recreation and Recovery Build πŸ‘·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ IMG_0130

In March, my brother and I build a bumper and modified the factory skid plate to match. At about the same time, I traded the gloss black grille and mirror heads for the grey badlands to reduce the amount different color trim. To be honest, the gloss items look fantastic on the Antimatter Blue Broncos!

Ford Bronco Motorhead Mountain Recreation and Recovery Build πŸ‘·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ IMG_0141

You can see the front crash bar mount was cut back and boxed in.

Ford Bronco Motorhead Mountain Recreation and Recovery Build πŸ‘·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ IMG_0179

Ford Bronco Motorhead Mountain Recreation and Recovery Build πŸ‘·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ 67207133890__1243DC6A-1238-4F48-AABC-FA3F8219DF5C

I added the JCR camera relocation kit after getting the bumper and skid plate powder coated. The front bumper is mostly 1/4" and designed to support a much bigger winch (but I had this laying around after a $199 sale a few years ago). The recovery points are also designed and mounted to support it being towed behind my RV. The squadron-R SAE driving lights were wired into the existing bumper wiring and I added the new headlight switch and associated Forscan tuning to get it working. The winch line is Masterpull Superline XD, which is a 3/8 line armored and heat-treated to be as strong as 7/16. Plus no clean-up!

Ford Bronco Motorhead Mountain Recreation and Recovery Build πŸ‘·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ A140E521-3664-4D3D-9D69-D1F8696123B3

The roller fairlead had to go, as it showed in the front camera. I purchased a Factor 55 fairlead that didn't have their logo printed on it. Cleaner look for sure.

Ford Bronco Motorhead Mountain Recreation and Recovery Build πŸ‘·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ 67467646755__7E1B99F9-5088-46AC-92BD-7477D046EC9E

Ford Bronco Motorhead Mountain Recreation and Recovery Build πŸ‘·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ IMG_2360

Then it was time for more light, and Baja Designs had their XD80s listed. Best customer experience ever; I texted to see if they were available. They send a picture back showing them in their hands and they were shipped a few hours later! I made a video comparing them to just the high-beams. You can watch that here:

Ford Bronco Motorhead Mountain Recreation and Recovery Build πŸ‘·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ IMG_1515

With front protection taken care of, it was time for some frame-mounted rock sliders. the rockers were clearanced for movement of the bars (side of the frame has a bit of flex) welded back up and painted. Then the tubes were bent and installed:

Ford Bronco Motorhead Mountain Recreation and Recovery Build πŸ‘·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ IMG_2169

Ford Bronco Motorhead Mountain Recreation and Recovery Build πŸ‘·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ IMG_2175

Ford Bronco Motorhead Mountain Recreation and Recovery Build πŸ‘·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ IMG_5371

Time for a rear bumper. The factory bumper has a few flaws, including the snap-in license plate can be ripped out going over obstacles due to the overhand on the left bottom corner. My brother was in town, so I enlisted his help again. You can see I am not a fab shop, just doing the best I can with tools and skills I have, and overcoming obstacles (no pun intended) as needed:

Ford Bronco Motorhead Mountain Recreation and Recovery Build πŸ‘·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ IMG_2181

Ford Bronco Motorhead Mountain Recreation and Recovery Build πŸ‘·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ IMG_2190

The tow hitch was incorporated into the bumper so the frame crossbar didn't have to take all the force when winching (anchored) or towing. It also pulled it further off the ground so it isn't as much a "touch" point!

Ford Bronco Motorhead Mountain Recreation and Recovery Build πŸ‘·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ 68330808612__F67AE262-554A-4748-9196-906C00197F73

You can see the recovery points were also cut off, and swapped so they were facing up. They still protect the bumper, but are no longer hanging down to drag off rocks. The tow wiring was then reinstalled with a 7-pin plug under the bumper after this picture was taken:

Ford Bronco Motorhead Mountain Recreation and Recovery Build πŸ‘·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ IMG_2467

It was then time for a lift. I added an Icon 3" lift kit (a full inch shorter than the zone 3" I just installed on a friend's Bronco). The Falken Wildpeaks were on a 4-month backorder, but these work so well in the snow of Colorado. Method 17x8.5 wheels (0 offset) were an easy choice, although I feel like a Toyota ;).

Ford Bronco Motorhead Mountain Recreation and Recovery Build πŸ‘·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ IMG_2447

I added a Hammerbilt tailgate reinforcement kit along with a 2 gallon fuel container and a ham radio antenna mount. I also installed the Oracle flush-mounted taillights. The backup lights are far brighter than the stock units, and the fuel can lock no longer hits the taillights when opening.

Ford Bronco Motorhead Mountain Recreation and Recovery Build πŸ‘·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ IMG_5391

Ford Bronco Motorhead Mountain Recreation and Recovery Build πŸ‘·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ IMG_2598

I added some rock lights. I generally use these more often for installing/removing tire chains (watch front chain clearance with a stock offset wheel):

Ford Bronco Motorhead Mountain Recreation and Recovery Build πŸ‘·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ IMG_3084

I like trail communications, so in addition to GMRS/FRS and an inReach satellite messenger, I added a ham radio, which also allow text and email as well. Since the head unit is remote, I put the radio under the dash and located the radio up above the passenger visor where I can see and reach it, but is out of sight when turned off.

Ford Bronco Motorhead Mountain Recreation and Recovery Build πŸ‘·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ IMG_2134

Like a few others on this forum, I made a quick disconnect for my ham radio. This way, the microphone can be stored away unless I am using it.

Ford Bronco Motorhead Mountain Recreation and Recovery Build πŸ‘·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ IMG_2133

Recently added the FPP 2.7 tune (and have installed a few others). What a difference it makes. After helping a friend with his lift and driving it to get aligned, I remembered the lack of throttle response and early shifting after installing the 37s. I don't have that anymore! Plus, I can keep an eye on my fuel octane:

Ford Bronco Motorhead Mountain Recreation and Recovery Build πŸ‘·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ IMG_2533

Lots of other little mods that make life better, pull handles above the doors, a dog carrier in the rear (so I can store things on the seat) and of course, a bunch of recovery gear filing the cargo area!

Ford Bronco Motorhead Mountain Recreation and Recovery Build πŸ‘·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ IMG_3108

Ford Bronco Motorhead Mountain Recreation and Recovery Build πŸ‘·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ 309442278_798105581446257_2593622727100653733_n

Ford Bronco Motorhead Mountain Recreation and Recovery Build πŸ‘·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ IMG_2307

Ford Bronco Motorhead Mountain Recreation and Recovery Build πŸ‘·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ IMG_5372

Ford Bronco Motorhead Mountain Recreation and Recovery Build πŸ‘·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ IMG_5423

Ford Bronco Motorhead Mountain Recreation and Recovery Build πŸ‘·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ IMG_2360

Ford Bronco Motorhead Mountain Recreation and Recovery Build πŸ‘·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ IMG_2815

Ford Bronco Motorhead Mountain Recreation and Recovery Build πŸ‘·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ IMG_0866

Ford Bronco Motorhead Mountain Recreation and Recovery Build πŸ‘·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ IMG_2134

Ford Bronco Motorhead Mountain Recreation and Recovery Build πŸ‘·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ IMG_2181
Sponsored

Last edited:

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
This is awesome! Nice to see it all one place, but darn it you have been hiding some hard work. I have dragged my rear tow points, I really like the idea of flipping them. Still a bit of a "skid plate" but not hanging down 4".

RobBob22

Base
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F250 SuperDuty
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Bumpers and rock rails are 11/10, look better than basically anything on the market TBH.

shieldsy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lots of inspiration here! Thanks for sharing OP.

Sponsored

luvmybronco

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Bronco sport, 1969 Bronco sport, 1990 F250 Lariat 4x4, 2015 F150 Lariat super crew 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Are the flush mount tail lights compatible with the BLISS system?

GloNDark

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Bronco Ranger & 2021 Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Great build man! Some awesome stuff coming out of your garage. I love that front bumper.

OP
OP
The Bronze

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1967 Ford Bronco, 1993 Turbo Notchback, 2006 Sierra K1500, 2013 Sierra K1500, 2014 Sienna Mini-Van
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Are the flush mount tail lights compatible with the BLISS system?
Yep, no issues. I am quite happy with these, but saving my stock units until their reliability have been determined! Backing up at night is much better!

jonesh242

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trail-Squak, YT Capra 29er & Decoy Mullet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Really nice job! I love the bumpers, especially the front...inspired to maybe build my own bumpers and rails as well.

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Where did you place your rock lights? Best I've seen so far, love there's no balloon tire shadows!

Is that Kingston Trail in the alpine picture?

Sponsored

HOSSMAN

Badlands
First Name
HOSS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 2022 BMW X3 M-SPORT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Holy crap man this is an awesome post! Some serious professionally done work here! Kudos on a bada$$ job!!!

When (if) I ever get mine I have the 3" Zone lift in mind, so you said the Zone is a full inch taller than the icon you put on? Interesting, any idea why? I ask because you seem like the engineer type that would know ;)

OP
OP
The Bronze

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

so you said the Zone is a full inch taller than the icon you put on? Interesting, any idea why? I ask because you seem like the engineer type that would know ;)
It is my experience. I am swapping lifts to gain that extra Inch (that’s what she said) and will be able to pinpoint the difference. I believe it’s the perch collar of the Zone vs the spring preload spacer. I am going to compare the two as I knew my lift was smaller than others and want to know why as well. Both kits were well built, but the zone includes bolts in their spacers which make the coilover assembly FAR easier to install. I wouldn’t change if I had 35s, but I want the extra clearance for running tire chains.

395N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Rubicon XR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

OP-killer fab work! Hat's off.
Now post of pic of that 86 Samurai will ya?

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Incredible. Bumpers and sliders look fantastic. I honestly would buy that rear bumper today if it were available. Haven’t been excited about anything on the market.

Bronc69

Wildtrak
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911, 2022 X3 (wife's), 2015 GTI (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Epic build!
I wish I could weld. Your front bumper is EXACTLY what I was looking for.
Sponsored