Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Bonneville
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just wrapped up with my first long road trip in my 2021 2DR Bronco Badlands (2.7 / Non Sas).

The summers in Texas are BRUTAL, and it was time to escape to the mountains for a week, do some hiking, and enjoy the cooler temperatures with the wife and dog.

I bought the Bronco the day the order banks opened in 2020, and at that time, I wanted the purest Bronco experience I could get (w/o dropping 100k+ on a resto-mod), and I felt the 2-door just looked too good to pass up. I also had no pregnant wife at that time, however - when embarking on this trip, I drove alone with the dog because the two-door was just too small for a long roadtrip with 2 people, bags, plus a dog. So my wife flew to Colorado, and I picked her up the next day. We needed a car because we were there for 8 days, so this was the most economical decision - plus I got to do a little off-roading, and I always enjoy my alone time.

As for my takeaways on the trip:
  • It was just over 2k miles round trip, no engine failures (Thank God).
  • The hardtop was a little noisy, but I easily managed to listen to two lengthy audio books without any trouble - I barely noticed the noise the longer I drove.
  • I averaged about 19-20 MPG on the highway.
  • The ride was very comfortable, and I love the MGV seats. They were perfect for this trip
  • The videos below show a couple of mountain passes in Colorado because once you get outside of Austin, there is truly NOTHING remarkable about the northwest Texas landscape. It's flat and boring, and not worth showing - unless you like flat nothingness and windmills.
  • Made several pitstops along the way through New Mexico and into southern Colorado - plenty of places to let the pup out for some playtime.
  • Passed through Lubbock to Amarillo, and the far NE corner of New Mexico before stopping in Trinidad for the night in CO.
  • The prettiest part of the drive was cutting through the mountains on Hwy 82, through Independence Pass to Aspen. (First Video - simply beautiful)
  • Hit some rain and slick roads, but pretty much drove in standard mode the entire drive.
  • Took the Bronco up to Montezuma Basin through Pearl Pass Road in CO, almost to 11k feet, but didn't make it all the way to climb Castle Peak because of the weather.
  • It was about 15 hours of driving each way.
Would do it again, without a doubt. Except next time, I am going to allow more time for myself to climb some 14ers, and get some more off-roading in. The wife is 20 weeks pregnant, so this two-door's days are numbered before I have to get something bigger, but I truly love this vehicle, had ZERO issues along the way, and have enjoyed all 7k+ miles I have driven. Can't wait to take this thing to some larger mountain passes. Colorado is such a beautiful state. Wish I could just move there.

Enjoy the pics & video. Wish I could have grabbed more of Pearl Pass Rd. Such a cool place.

Ford Bronco Mountain Adventure - Texas to Colorado (and Back) IMG_2416.JPG

(Departure - Austin, TX)
Ford Bronco Mountain Adventure - Texas to Colorado (and Back) IMG_2418.JPG

(Packed, ready to go)

Ford Bronco Mountain Adventure - Texas to Colorado (and Back) Highfive

High Five (Feel free to grill me for taking this photo going over 70 ;)
Ford Bronco Mountain Adventure - Texas to Colorado (and Back) IMG_2430.JPG

(Texas panhandle = meh)

Ford Bronco Mountain Adventure - Texas to Colorado (and Back) IMG_2450.JPG

Ford Bronco Mountain Adventure - Texas to Colorado (and Back) IMG_2644.JPG

Ford Bronco Mountain Adventure - Texas to Colorado (and Back) IMG_2466.JPG

(Had to, when in Rome)

Ford Bronco Mountain Adventure - Texas to Colorado (and Back) wp1a

Ford Bronco Mountain Adventure - Texas to Colorado (and Back) IMG_2648 2.JPG

Ford Bronco Mountain Adventure - Texas to Colorado (and Back) IMG_2723.JPG

(Lucky 7, k)

(Drive Through Independence Pass)

(Drive through Tennessee Pass)
Sponsored

Last edited:

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Sounds like a good time. I’m headed to Ouray from Houston in about 2 weeks to do some wheeling in the Wikdtrak. Can’t wait.

Lexo52

Big Bend
First Name
Arlexis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Nice, I just recently did a road trip from houaton to winter park Colorado for some mountain biking, and into new mexico. Had a very good time with my bronco and was getting up to 21mpg on the highway! But I tried to stay under 75 because once it goes over mpg take a huge hit

OP
OP
TyGuy40

TyGuy40

Badlands
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Bonneville
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I will happily admit, I went for looks over functionality. Although, in my defense, I did not have a pregnant wife on When I bought the Bronco.

The two-door just looks 10 times better.

Sponsored

atx_chance

Badlands
First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: 1993 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Love the 2 door, and are those powdercoated optional badlands wheels? I have a 3 year old and we are making the 2 door work. It's a pain from time to time, but for me the appeal of a 2 door was also way too strong to resist.

Last edited:

DaveH

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Ford Focus, 98 Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I will happily admit, I went for looks over functionality. Although, in my defense, I did not have a pregnant wife on When I bought the Bronco.

The two-door just looks 10 times better.
Seem like you ought to be able to fit luggage for 2 people for a week plus a dog into a 2 door with little problem. In your "departure pic", the back isn't even close to full. If you are trying to bring enough gear for overlanding, it might get a little more difficult.

TXAG96

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Bullitt, '01 Boxster, '87 TBird Turbo Coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Uhhh no dirt, rocks, water crossings, etc ? Glad you enjoyed the trip regardless.

Sounds like a good time. I’m headed to Ouray from Houston in about 2 weeks to do some wheeling in the Wikdtrak. Can’t wait.
I'm heading up to lake city, Oury, and lots of alpine loop wheeling during the first week of Oct. can't wait.

Last edited:

66GT

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Marauder, 66 Mustang GT, 65 Ranchero, 64 Comet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just got done with my first long road trip in my 2DR Bronco Badlands (2.7 / Non Sas).

The summers in Texas are BRUTAL, and it was time to escape to the mountains for a week, do some hiking, and enjoy the cooler temperatures with the wife and dog.

I bought the Bronco the day the order banks opened for the 2021 model, and at that time, I wanted the purest Bronco experience, and felt the 2-door just looked too good to pass up. I also had no pregnant wife at that time, however - when embarking on this trip, I drove alone with the dog because the two-door is just too small for a long roadtrip with 2 people, bags, plus a dog. So my wife flew to Colorado, and I picked her up the next day. We needed a car because we were there for 8 days, so this was the most economical decision - plus I got to do a little off-roading - and I always enjoy my alone time.

• It was just over 2k miles round trip, no engine failures (thank God).
  • The hardtop was a little noisy, but I easily managed to listen to two lengthy audio books without any trouble
  • I averaged about 19-20 MPG on the highway
  • The ride was very comfortable, and I love the MGV seats. They were perfect for this trip
  • The videos below show mainly the mountain passes in Colorado because once you get outside of Austin, there is truly NOTHING remarkable about the northwest Texas landscape. It's flat and boring, and not worth showing - unless you like flat nothingness and windmills.
  • Made several pitstops along the way through New Mexico and into southern Colorado - plenty of places to let the pup out for some playtime.
  • Passed through Lubbock to Amarillo, and the far NE corner of New Mexico before stoping in Trinidad for the night in CO.
  • The prettiest part of the drive was cutting through the mountains on Route 82, through Independence Pass to Aspen. (First Video - simple beautiful)
  • Hit some rain and slick roads, but pretty much drove in standard mode the entire drive.
  • Took the Bronco up to Montezuma Basin through Pearl Pass Road in CO, almost to 11k feet, but didnt make it all the way to climb Castle Peak, because of the weather.
Would do again, without a doubt. Except next time, I am going to allow more time for myself to climb some 14ers, and get some more off-roading in. The wife is 20 weeks pregnant, so this two-door's days are numbered before I have to get something bigger, but I truly love this vehicle, had ZERO issues along the way, and have enjoyed all 7k+ miles I have driven thus far. Can't wait to take this thing to some larger mountain passes. Colorado is such a beautiful state. Wish I could just move there.

Enjoy the pics & video. Which I could have grabbed more of Pearl Pass Rd. Such a cool place.

Ford Bronco Mountain Adventure - Texas to Colorado (and Back) Hutch Backseat

(Departure - Austin, TX)

(Packed, ready to go)

(Texas panhandle = meh)

(Had to, when in Rome)

(Lucky 7, k)

How well did that cruise control work at 83? 😉

Sponsored

jbellousux

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘13 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just got done with my first long road trip in my 2DR Bronco Badlands (2.7 / Non Sas).

I bought the Bronco the day the order banks opened for the 2021 model, and at that time, I wanted the purest Bronco experience, and felt the 2-door just looked too good to pass up. I also had no pregnant wife at that time, however - when embarking on this trip, I drove alone with the dog because the two-door is just too small for a long roadtrip with 2 people, bags, plus a dog. So my wife flew to Colorado, and I picked her up the next day. We needed a car because we were there for 8 days, so this was the most economical decision - plus I got to do a little off-roading - and I always enjoy my alone time.

• It was just over 2k miles round trip, no engine failures (thank God).
  • The hardtop was a little noisy, but I easily managed to listen to two lengthy audio books without any trouble
  • I averaged about 19-20 MPG on the highway
  • The videos below show mainly the mountain passes in Colorado because once you get outside of Austin, there is truly NOTHING remarkable about the northwest Texas landscape. It's flat and boring, and not worth showing - unless you like flat nothingness and windmills.
  • Passed through Lubbock to Amarillo, and the far NE corner of New Mexico before stoping in Trinidad for the night in CO.
  • The prettiest part of the drive was cutting through the mountains on Route 82, through Independence Pass to Aspen. (First Video - simple beautiful)
  • Took the Bronco up to Montezuma Basin through Pearl Pass Road in CO, almost to 11k feet, but didnt make it all the way to climb Castle Peak, because of the weather.
Would do again, without a doubt. Except next time, I am going to allow more time for myself to climb some 14ers, and get some more off-roading in. The wife is 20 weeks pregnant, so this two-door's days are numbered before I have to get something bigger, but I truly love this vehicle, had ZERO issues along the way, and have enjoyed all 7k+ miles I have driven thus far. Can't wait to take this thing to some larger mountain passes. Colorado is such a beautiful state. Wish I could just move there.

Enjoy the pics & video. Which I could have grabbed more of Pearl Pass Rd. Such a cool place.

(Departure - Austin, TX)

(Packed, ready to go)

(Texas panhandle = meh)

(Had to, when in Rome)

(Lucky 7, k)

I was in a similar situation 20 years ago. I wish I would have kept my 2-seater and gotten a less expensive third car for family activities. You can always use your wife’s car for family outings.

It’s easy to say you’ll come back to that two door when you and the family get older, but life frequently gets in the way.

My four kids are now grown and I’m loving my 2 door. I’m driving up to Tellluride from Austin next week, The wife is flying up with friends, but riding home with me. Plans include Ophir and Imogene passes. Hopefully, more.

Kramku1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

What the hell did you pack three changes of clothes a day each, soft luggage behind the back seat dog in the back seat job done.(p.s baby 🍼 might require extra doors)

OP
OP
TyGuy40

TyGuy40

Badlands
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Bonneville
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP
TyGuy40

TyGuy40

Badlands
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Bonneville
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What the hell did you pack three changes of clothes a day each, soft luggage behind the back seat dog in the back seat job done.(p.s baby 🍼 might require extra doors)
I really have no idea what my wife packed. My bag was filled mainly with hiking crap and two outfits which I wore the entire time. There was also a lot of stuff underneath the dog mat like backpacks etc. for hiking. I think for a simple road trip the two door would work just fine with two people on a dog. I’m just talking more about traveling with children. But ultimately I can also just use my wife’s car if we’re gonna take longer road trips.

OP
OP
TyGuy40

TyGuy40

Badlands
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Bonneville
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seem like you ought to be able to fit luggage for 2 people for a week plus a dog into a 2 door with little problem. In your "departure pic", the back isn't even close to full. If you are trying to bring enough gear for overlanding, it might get a little more difficult.
I wanted to make sure the dog had enough room to lay down and be comfortable and that matte he is on is on top of a bunch of gear and equipment that I tend to use for big, long hikes. I think under normal circumstances it’s just fine. Unless you had a baby with you. Otherwise I thought the trip was comfy.
Sponsored