Mountain bikes in the back

mik06

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I was checking out that mountain bike rack for the bronco sport where you need to take the front wheels off. I'm wondering if such a rack might be possible in the bronco without having to take the wheels off. Have accurate cargo dimensions been released by any chance with height, length from door to back of front seats etc? I saw one thread that had a guestimate of the length.
Cheers!
Sponsored

THEMANatwar

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 F150 Flareside, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You probably wouldn't be able to fit it without taking the front wheel off, that's if you want it in the same config as the Bronco Sport. Thought you could lay them down to get them to fit. Probably the only way.

OP
OP

mik06

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yeah I'm figuring as much too. We currently lay one in the back and one on the rack but being able to roll them in the back and have a rack to lay across behind the front seats would be amazingly easy. After seeing the pictures on here of that rack the other day that hangs out the back for 3 miles I'm not very keen on that option. Cheers

Dlerojo

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just do a hitch rack. Even if possible, taking off your front wheels, loading and unloading dirty bikes, reduced interior cargo space, etc. its just not worth the hassle.

OP
OP

mik06

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Just do a hitch rack. Even if possible, taking off your front wheels, loading and unloading dirty bikes, reduced interior cargo space, etc. its just not worth the hassle.
My hope is they might fit upright in the back without taking the front wheels off.

Sponsored

J Jernigan

Badlands
First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Platinum, 2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My hope is they might fit upright in the back without taking the front wheels off.
Never going to happen with a full sized bike. The only vehicles I know of that you can do that in is a minivan.

broncobuster2550

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Looks like you can fit two MTBs in the 5-door similar to baby Bronco, but you'll have to remove front wheel and lower/remove the seat (to clear the cross-beam). Not sure if there's a fork-lock in the works, but you could bungie/ratchet-strap to the tie-downs.

OP
OP

mik06

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Never going to happen with a full sized bike. The only vehicles I know of that you can do that in is a minivan.
Thanks for the input guys! Sounds like it's racks or laying down.

Jernigan I gave the dodge caravan build and price a go using the konmari method and it did not spark joy.

Sponsored

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have a Toyota van and I have to lean them sideways to get them through the door. Once inside they can stand up, but I don't see that kind of clearance with a Bronco.

OP
OP

mik06

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Looks like you can fit two MTBs in the 5-door similar to baby Bronco, but you'll have to remove front wheel and lower/remove the seat (to clear the cross-beam). Not sure if there's a fork-lock in the works, but you could bungie/ratchet-strap to the tie-downs.
I guess it wouldn't be to bad for longer trips to take the wheel off. Be good to not have to worry as much about theft with them locked in the car.

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do you find this rack stable?
I have not owned this particular rack but I have several buddies that have them. Very well made & totally serviceable. Made in USA. I’ve had several Thule T2 racks over the years and I’d buy this instead in a heartbeat. They have a very nice cam mechanism to keep things stable. If you bring your bike on wheeling trips, or vice versa, this is a worthy investment. Expensive, yes.